Does anyone have the April issue of Consumer Reports? I'd like some trimmer info.

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the best trimmer that for a non professional?

I'd like to spend less than $120 before tax.

Thanks in advance.

I no longer subscribe to Consumer Reports, but may have some practical experience. I have had two Sears trimmers, they both performed poorly. The last one was listed at about $100 with the no hassle head. It was a real hassle installing new line every few minutes, so I returned it. Then I bought the starting Royobi model at Lowes. It would not even feed the line. I returned it. Then, I was at Home Depot. Someone returned an Echo SRM-210. It listed for $199.00. They were selling it for $100.00. I had a 10% coupon. Got it for $90.00. There is no comparison between a Ryobi and an Echo. So, my advice is if you have a Home Depot, check for returned items. Mine only had some rust on the screws; otherwise it was almost like a new one. Unlike the Sears trimmers, it starts on the third pull every time and runs like a champ. My parents have a neglected Echo with a curved shaft. Starts right up after 13 years of neglect. Some Ryobi’s are OK. I have one of the 4 cycle models, but it was more expensive than your budget, and just not as easy to use or as nice as Echo.

I reread your post. If a slightly used/returned Echo is not available, then Ryobi would be my next choice with your budget. Just not the starting model. The Speed Spool head on my 4-Cycle Ryobi feeds well. A 2-cycle one may be within your budget. Poulan/Sears/Snapper(from Wal-Mart) I would avoid, just because I had problems with the Sears models, and I believe they were made by Poulan. The Snapper one at Wal-Mart is identical to the one I purchased at Sears, except the head is different. I have had 3 Weadeater products that had problems with the starter rope not recoiling. I have never had this problem with Ryobi product.

Another possiblity is Homelite. I am partial to straight shaft trimmers. They had this one on the Home Depot site. I did use a Homelite backpack at a job. It started well and ran well. Little flimsy, but ran well.

Homelite
25cc Straight Shaft Gas Trimmer
Model UT20778
Internet/Catalog # 161719
Store SKU # 440449
$109.00 EA

Good luck. Maybe someone else can guide you more, or maybe read the Consumer Reports at the Library.

I understand the homeowner priced trimmers but, I have a maruyama that I paid just over 200 bucks for about ten years ago.I can honestly say I have beaten the living **** out of this thing,thrown it in the garage for winter,pulled it out in the spring and hammered it again.The only thing I've done is gas it and restring it and absolutely nothing else but abuse....A little extra now may save you in the long run....my .02...

I'd concur with Monkyman. For an inexpensive piece of equipment, the Homelites seem to be pretty good. Is it a Husky, Echo, Stihl? No. But, mine starts easily every time, feeds easily, is pretty well made, and runs well on just about any oil and mixture (Amsoil 100:1, M1, Homelite, Redline, etc.).

I almost died reading the replies!!

The Homelite is junk and good luck finding parts for them at this point! John Deere sold Homelite about 2 years ago. Last I heard they (john Deere) threw out all parts of Homelite and there tooling equipment. I do not doubt this because thier new product looks nothing like their old. And their distributor for there parts has told me that they would not take any in to repair since they still have no parts available.

Bottom line is take your pick, unless you find a used comm. unit for that price you will not have a good trimmmer!
And dont look at Consumer Reports for advice!!! They dont repair these, they have no clue how to rate ANYTHING!!! Worst Magazine EVER!!

ok a friend reccomended a cub cadet trimmer, straight shaft. i think i'll go with that unless there is another model with similar specs and a lower price.

25cc full crank, which i think means that there are bearings on either side of the cylinder. i was told that a full-crank engine runs smoother, lasts longer, and produces more power than the cheaper ones.

$199 before tax and discounts.
Cub Cadet timmer at lowes

[ September 25, 2004, 03:24 PM: Message edited by: seotaji ]

Hope you found a good one. Bottom line is repair cost. I buy the cheap ones from the bog box store and if it lasts three/four seasons (seven months at 1.5/hr/week, or, 45-hrs/year) then I'm satisfied. Yard ain't big, and I make sure the eater has an easy time of it. One "repair" bill will practically buy another eater.

For a rural lot, for a lot of use, then, yes, buy the good stuff. No comparison, as mentioned above.
With a shoulder strap, an interchangeable brushcutter/whacker head, you can take on head-high prairie grass and live to tell about it.

Consumer Reports tested the CC2000 ($170) by Cub Cadet and it came in #2. The Cub Cadet you are looking at appears to be the big brother to the one CR tested. The Husqvarna 326LX ($330) was rated best. CR rated best buys included Troy-Bilt TB 25CS ($130), Homelite UT 20779 ($80) and Bolens BL100 ($70). Several other brands (including Stihl, Echo, John Deere, Toro & Ryobi) fell in between the Troy-Bilt and Homelite, performance-wise. CR does not track reliability on these, and only tested for performance right out of the box. More info available in June 04 issue of CR. Personally, I think the Bolens BL100 is hard to start. Can't speak to any of the others.

TheTanSedan,

I'm trying to make a good investment. Hopefully the trimmer I purchase now will last a LONG time. The Weed Eater/Poulan trimmer I am trying to replace worked (decently at first and then poorly as time went on) for a couple of years (4-5?) in which hope I got my money's worth from it ($99), but I feel that if I pay more for a quality product, hopefully I'll be able to use it longer with less hassle.

So $200 doesn't seem that bad of an investment, if it means I don't have to waste too much $ by purchasing another trimmer every so often.

I'm also considering the amount of service centers near my house.

4-5 years for a trimmer! I would be VERY mad!!!!
My trimmer (Husqvarna 232L) should last me the rest of my life. Im 28. My dad has one that is over 15 years old, still runs perfect.
The CubCadet is not bad for the price. 1st thing to check before buying. Can an MTD or Cub Cadet Dealer get parts? The new Toro at Home Depot is made by the old Homelite and Toro does not offer parts, nor does anyone else!

Remember that if you are happy with the product, and it lasts longer it is well worth the extra $$. If you hate it, then you are stuck with it for ( with your case another 5 years) Then you have to pay another $100-$200 dollars.

I will spend much less over the years than you will if you get that cheap trimmer!

Like I said check dealer support before you buy, you will be happy you did!!!!!

I just recently purchased a Craftsman 32cc Gas Lawn Trimmer model #79158 and it's been the best trimmer I've ever had. I was reluctant to buy the 32cc at first fearing the weight issue, but after using it to beat down vines, stickers, tall grass, small trees, etc, I'm sold on this one. The 25cc trimmers I've had in the past would be light weight but I ran into problems with them running up fences when I trimmed too close and bogging down in the thick stuff and stalling. This new trimmer doesn't do that. When it starts to bog I hit the gas and weeds go flying. It starts in a couple of pulls everytime. It's got the "Hassel Free Head" and with the 1.30 dia sears brand twisted line it lasts me through my whole yard. You can pick this trimmer up right now for $119.00. Good Luck.

KL250

Hands down - buy the Echo. All others pale in comparison. I've got at 20+ year old SRM-3000 shaft model that I have used for decades on the property. The only replacement parts I've gotten were new line feed heads and tune-up parts. Pay the extra hundred bucks and that will be the last weed wacker you'll ever buy!!

Seotaji,

I have that article on my computer, but have no way of hosting it online...

I can e-mail it to you if you'd like (532KB in .pdf format)...

[ September 29, 2004, 06:57 PM: Message edited by: Jelly ]

i have a really old kawasaki trimmer, so old that it has points. its got a 16cc engine and has more power than any other trimmer i have used.
light weight would be an understatement, the whole thing weighs about as much as a brick. it runs great and begs to be reved yup.

I have a lawn service and have used the ECHO srm-210 for year after year....and they are relatively cheap cost. It runs and runs. I am not crazy about the head design as to releasing the spool, winding and feed. But as to running it is good.

BTW, the best trimmer for anything near $120 is the Troy-Bilt TB25CS.

-

That Troy built is a made by Ryobi. You would probably save money if you bought a Ryobi. Still not a good trimmer by any means!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back