Does anyone have a new Malibu ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: LTVibe
Quote:
I'll save you the trip to the newsstand and give you the Cliff's Notes version of what CR will have to say:

It's an American car, therefore it sucks.

Actually, many new domestic vehicles have scored well in CR (and some Japanese vehicles did not):

Consumer Reports’ Automaker Report Cards: Feb 26, 2009

Quote:
...a Japanese nameplate is no guarantee that every car in a model range will be a reliable and good performer. For example, the Honda Element and Toyota Yaris scored too low in Consumer Reports’ tests to be recommended.

...new models like the Ford Flex, F-150, Chevrolet Malibu, and Cadillac CTS have done well in CR’s tests and rank near the top of their classes in its ratings.

The latest models from General Motors now rank among the best in testing, and models like the Buick Enclave, Chevrolet Traverse, GMC Acadia, Saturn Outlook, Cadillac CTS, Chevrolet Corvette, and Chevrolet Malibu all scored well.

Wow, you mean not even a back-handed compliment like they've done in the past? Maybe I should end my boycott....
LOL.gif

opus1 said this "It's an American car, therefore it sucks."

American cars are ok. The "chevy" part is what worries me.

Pretty well said OPUS1

Originally Posted By: scudpilot
Thinking of buying a 2009 Chevy Malibu. Can anyone give me input on the 4cylinder and the 6 cylinder engine. Leaning toward the 6 cylinder engine, but was curious what the gas mileage is.

Dude I work with has an '08 Saturn Aura with the 2.4L Ecotec. Awesome car, decent power per him. He claims he only averages 24mpg with it, with his driving (mixed driving). He's pretty anal with MPG calcs as his other vehicle is a Prius. I do love my Cobalt's 2.2L Ecotec, but if I could get a V6 in a Malibu for little/no extra cost, that's the way I'd go.

Joel

Last edited:
I've got an 08 LS 2.4/4 speed combo. It's a really great car, but I regret not getting the 6 cyl. The V6 has effortless power and with the 6 speed gets almost the same MPG that mine does. I average about 25.5 60/40 highway. The 2.4/6 speed combo averages 1-2 MPG higher. They are GREAT cars. GM needed to build a car like this 10 years ago. FYI, I've owned Hondas/Acuras all my life up until my Malibu. The only hangup is the 4 speed LS models. The gear spacing is too wide, so there are big power gaps if you step on it at about 25mph.

I saw a sleek black car in profile about a week ago. For a moment I thought it was an E-Class Mercedes -- and then it turned toward me, and I saw the Chevy bowtie on the grill, and I realized it was a Malibu! Sharp stuff!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back