Does a DI Engine Dictate an Oil Filter Change Every OCI?

The 2015 Santa Fe in my signature has a 3.3L DI non-turbo engine.

I plan on using my new MityVac 7201 to extract the six quarts of oil every 6k to 7k miles. With a “topside” oil filter, that’s a fairly straightforward change. Using an Ultra 10855 ($15 at Walmart), I’d like to get lazy and just change it every other OCI.

It’s out of the powertrain warranty period as I’m the second owner.

Is there any good reason NOT to change the filter every other OCI with this DI engine?

From my experience, DI engine soot production is too small to be caught by the filter. Filter dissection shows clean pleats.

I personally change my oil at 3,750 miles which is half the normal use and the filter every 7,500 miles with an OE filter. Once my cheap PF64 filters are gone I’m switching to an Ultra at 15k miles and keep changing the oil at 3,750ish.

As long as you know you have a clean engine I think you should go ahead. The jury is out about the quality of Ultra cartridge filters, they don’t seem to be built the same as a canister. Does Mann or Mahle make a filter for your app? I would run that personally.

Reactions: JC1
Bypass filtration is generally necessary to have meaningful impact on soot levels in Diesel engines. Unless gasoline soot particles are quite a bit larger, I would expect the same to be true.

We just received a notice from Hyundai regarding the i30N (similar to the veloster N in the USA). The original 15k km/12 month oci is wrong and should be:
10k km oci (oil only)
30k/12 months for filter and other maintenance items.

Besides the cock up about the oci, that clearly shows a filter change isn't necessary every oil change.

One of the characteristics of carbon soot is that it has a tendency to agglomerate which plays into what depth filter media in intended to a accomplish. Will some carbon soot particulate matter always pass through newer, lower usage filter media? Yes. But as the filter media becomes more saturated, more smaller particulate matter agglomerates with the larger particulate matter already captured in the filter media.

I used a Fram Ultra XG9688 on a dirty Hyundai GDI engine for two OCIs, 9000 total miles, before the infamous Hyundai GDI engine tick developed. Upon cutting the filter open it was apparent that the filter media was saturated being solid black with an abundance of carbon soot lining the inner wall of the can.

Reactions: JC1
... Does Mann or Mahle make a filter for your app? I would run that personally.
Mahle is the OEM filter for the Hyundai/Kia 3.3 Lambda engines.
HERE is one from my '18 Santa Fe.

Interesting thing is the XG10855 has only been out for just over a year.
When I bought my Santa Fe in Dec. 2018 I was going to go with an XG, but they were not made. I ended up buying a 4 pack of OEM off e-bay for ~ $30.
I am still under warranty, so I am changing oil and filter together, and doing a 6 month interval due to warranty, which is very short mileage (I am due to change now @ 3,500 miles and 7 months). No point in an XG for me right now.

Honda recommends a FCI every other OCI.
I run an ultra with mags and use a mityvac in between.

One of the characteristics of carbon soot is that it has a tendency to agglomerate which plays into what depth filter media in intended to a accomplish. Will some carbon soot particulate matter always pass through newer, lower usage filter media? Yes. But as the filter media becomes more saturated, more smaller particulate matter agglomerates with the larger particulate matter already captured in the filter media.

I used a Fram Ultra XG9688 on a dirty Hyundai GDI engine for two OCIs, 9000 total miles, before the infamous Hyundai GDI engine tick developed. Upon cutting the filter open it was apparent that the filter media was saturated being solid black with an abundance of carbon soot lining the inner wall of the can.

ah yes but the Infamous tick of death isn’t necessarily carbon related. When our Elantra 2015 started the Tick I changed the oil and filter to see if the oil 🙄might 🤞🏻 Have been at fault. I knew better and was right. the OEM filter with 4000 was clean as new as expected and the engine was in the process of ⚰️ As expected. I’d loved to have been able to pop the lid and see what was causing it but being under warranty no dice. I will say I had started directing my filiers on both Hyundai’s a couple years earlier with 5k oil n filter change and never once saw a speck of ANYTHING worrysome FWIW.
For my money I just can’t see going over the 5+ k mile oil and filter with those cars ( any really). Oils cheap at Wallyworld and OEM Hyundai filters aren’t under $6 off Fleabay by the 6 pack ect. Why push your luck for a couple bucks is my motto.

ah yes but the Infamous tick of death isn’t necessarily carbon related. When our Elantra 2015 started the Tick I changed the oil and filter to see if the oil 🙄might 🤞🏻 Have been at fault. I knew better and was right. the OEM filter with 4000 was clean as new as expected and the engine was in the process of ⚰ As expected. I’d loved to have been able to pop the lid and see what was causing it but being under warranty no dice. I will say I had started directing my filiers on both Hyundai’s a couple years earlier with 5k oil n filter change and never once saw a speck of ANYTHING worrysome FWIW.
For my money I just can’t see going over the 5+ k mile oil and filter with those cars ( any really). Oils cheap at Wallyworld and OEM Hyundai filters aren’t under $6 off Fleabay by the 6 pack ect. Why push your luck for a couple bucks is my motto.

Well this thread is about direct injection and oil filters and I can tell you that the 2012 Hyundai Accent I inherited was very poorly maintained for the first 90,000 miles of its life. The engine ticking comes and goes with this GDI engine depending upon what oil filter is used and how long it is used for. The Gamma GF4D engine in this car has a reputation for producing an excess of carbon soot that ends up in the crankcase.

Thanks for the replies.

Based on those replies I’ll go with a 6k OCI on this engine and begin using the OEM filter once I’ve used the two Ultras sitting on the shelf.

And probably perform a UOA with Oil Analyzers so I can get a “reading” on this engine.

School me, please, about the “infamous tick of death.” Is that inherent only on certain years and/or displacements?

As mentioned, second owners are limited by Hyundai to 5 years/50k mile warranty from the date the vehicle was placed in service. My Santa Fe only has 36k miles on it but was titled 61 months ago. Doh!

School me, please, about the “infamous tick of death.” Is that inherent only on certain years and/or displacements?

I am not the foremost expert on the subject but from my understanding since Hyundai/Kia began using GDI engines over the past decade many (if not most, if not all) have a sensitivity to what oil filter is used. There has been at least one major TSB issued from Hyundai that states that Hyundai OEM oil filters and only Hyundai OEM oil filters should be used on these engines to avoid the ticking noise in the engine that often develops from the usage of non-OEM oil filters.

That being said the Hyundai OEM oil filter is known to be a very well constructed product that is recommended for usage up to 7500 miles. The big gripe is that the filtration efficiency is bare minimum for the industry being 99% @ 50 microns. So what many, to include myself, are interested in is using an oil filter that can be used just as long as the OEM (if not longer), not cause engine ticking, and have better filtration efficiency. To date the only filter I have used that meets all the criteria is the Fram Titanium/Ultra 9688. Fram made custom modifications in recent years to all of its 9688 series filters so to meet or something exceed Hyundai's specifications.

Hmmmmm,

Maybe that’s why the Ultra 10855 is new to the Santa Fe as of last year.

I believe that’s what’s on the Santa Fe right now. It has about 4,500 miles since the last oil change. And no ticking.

I’m disappointed to hear of the Hyundai filter’s not-so-great filtering capability.

I’m disappointed to hear of the Hyundai filter’s not-so-great filtering capability.

Frankly I have very little confidence in any OEM parts supplier offering much beyond what benefits their automaker's bottom line when it comes to generic, mass produced parts. The formula is pretty much what can offer baseline minimum performance at the lowest cost? As far as Hyundai goes I don't have a lot of confidence in their engineering and see their OEM oil filter as something that was built to withstand pressure spikes above all else. I think the ticking issue has much to do with poor engineering in their oil delivery system beyond the filter.

Ignatius,

As the OP and a member since 2003, I claim the right to go “slightly off topic.”

1. I love the description of your location and,
2. How the heck did you get 100k+ miles on that 2018 Outback?

Back on topic: I’ll use the Ultra 10855 and I’ll report back if the ticking occurs.

Back