Dodge Durango 3.6L - HPL CK-4 5w-20 - 7,000 miles on oil - 147,000 total

I like the increased "old school" zinc and phosphorus in the new formula. IMO zinc and phosphorus in higher levels, even though some say it is not necessary in a "modern engine" is still better.
You’re entitled to your opinion.

We learned from the panel experts at the open house that the whole industry would like to replace ZDDP, because it's dangerous to produce. If the industry had a feasible replacement, they would have replaced ZDDP a long time ago.

What makes it dangerous to produce ZDDP?! Thanks

We learned from the panel experts at the open house that the whole industry would like to replace ZDDP, because it's dangerous to produce. If the industry had a feasible replacement, they would have replaced ZDDP a long time ago.
Yeah, was speaking to Dave about that recently. If you look at "unconstrained" formulations, like the Full-SAPS Euro oils, we tend to see much higher levels of ZDDP, so clearly there's a formulation benefit with those higher concentrations. Even the low-SAPS Euro oils have higher levels than the API oils.

I'm with @demarpaint . Aside from anti-wear, ZDDP is also a great anti-oxidant and LSPI quencher.
Also ,according to several of the HPL experts at the open house, one of the problems with fuel dilution of oil, is reduced action of zddp.

I wish I had asked if higher levels like euro oils would help with this.

OP, you must be a young man to conquer those miles in that amount of time. Salute
We had two experienced drivers and took turns. My cousin was the other and he's one of only a few people I feel completely comfortable sleeping while he is driving.

I did four 1,000 miles days in the span of 5 days one time by myself. Just stupid and I'll never do it again.

Also ,according to several of the HPL experts at the open house, one of the problems with fuel dilution of oil, is reduced action of zddp.

I wish I had asked if higher levels like euro oils would help with this.
Yep, and it's not just on ZDDP, fuel has an impact on FM's too. Saw a paper about ethanol's impact on moly:
For the MoDTC additive, the presence of ethanol prevented the formation of a low friction film at low speeds at 70 °C, but this effect disappeared at 100 °C, probably due to ethanol evaporation.

Yep, and it's not just on ZDDP, fuel has an impact on FM's too. Saw a paper about ethanol's impact on moly:
One of the panel experts also talked about how ethanol causes increased surface competition with not only moly, but also other anti-wear compounds. We only have ethanol blends here, so this formulation appears to be doing a great job counteracting the ethanol.

One of the panel experts also talked about how ethanol causes increased surface competition with not only moly, but also other anti-wear compounds. We only have ethanol blends here, so this formulation appears to be doing a great job counteracting the ethanol.
I think this is why Toyota states OCI’s must be reduced to 2500 miles when running E85 on flex-fuel Tundras.

33611CCD-A154-473E-9044-9A0A2C4D0CAE.jpg

TBN is a waste of $$$
TBN is a valuable tool to see how much alkalinity is left in your oil. If you do short change intervals, then yes you are correct, there isn't much point in paying for the TBN test. When you do extended OCIs, you'd be serving yourself well to use TBN as a tool to determine if the oil is good for continued use.

I would switch to 30 weight just for giggles.
I don't see the need for 30wt with the low wear numbers in this last OCI.

Back