Dodge Durango 3.6L - HPL 5w-20 - 5,000 Miles on oil

Very impressive analysis and I truly believe -- the more feedback/results we get from HP Lubricants products users -- will yield the same results overall.

Why automatically stop at 20,000 mi?
Sample every 5,000 mi and change the filter as required (20,000 mi?). Change the oil when the analysis says it's time.

I don't have a lot of experience with gasoline extended drains but I do with diesel. At this point it looks like that oil will only be getting warmed up at 20,000 mi.

Why automatically stop at 20,000 mi?
Sample every 5,000 mi and change the filter as required (20,000 mi?). Change the oil when the analysis says it's time.
I think that's what we will do, when the UOA shows the oil is condemned or close to being condemned, then we'll change.

Originally Posted by JustN89
A TBN of 12.3 with 5k miles on it? That's either incredible, or a testing error.

It's accurate. It's part of HPL's specialization, make oils that have great performance and are safe for extended drains.
Little late to the party but....
Lot of you are impressed with HPL 5W-20 high TBN and such oil can be considered safe for extended drains since it has a high reserve of alkalinity to neutralize harmful acids. HPL 5W-20 has on average about 30% higher TBN compare to at least half a dozen 5W-20 oils I looked at.
The oils I looked at which had higher TBN had always higher mg/kg of detergents (Ca & Mg). Since ash is the result of non-combustible residue of oil detergents like Ca and Mg, wouldn't oil with too high TBN also contribute to higher deposits build up on valves and pistons?

Little late to the party but....
Lot of you are impressed with HPL 5W-20 high TBN and such oil can be considered safe for extended drains since it has a high reserve of alkalinity to neutralize harmful acids. HPL 5W-20 has on average about 30% higher TBN compare to at least half a dozen 5W-20 oils I looked at.
The oils I looked at which had higher TBN had always higher mg/kg of detergents (Ca & Mg). Since ash is the result of non-combustible residue of oil detergents like Ca and Mg, wouldn't oil with too high TBN also contribute to higher deposits build up on valves and pistons?

Not if the oil isn't evaporating much. Higher SA%, but lower volatility.

Not if the oil isn't evaporating much. Higher SA%, but lower volatility.
Thanks.
Didn't know that oil volatility had effect on ash. I thought that oil volatility had only effect on viscosity. Less volatile oil the longer it retains its initial viscosity.

Thanks.
Didn't know that oil volatility had effect on ash. I thought that oil volatility had only effect on viscosity. Less volatile oil the longer it retains its initial viscosity.

Volatility is referring to how easily the oil evaporates at high temperatures. It could have a slight effect on viscosity if lighter ends are evaporating off, raising the viscosity slightly, but this would be a secondary effect.

Back