Do you wipe off the oil filter mounting surface during install?

I find it easiest to look at the filter I just took off instead of looking at the mounting point. It can't really be this hard. Or is it...lol
Back when I turned wrenches I had a gasket on the old filter, looked up and there was one on the engine still. Occasionally you get that absolutely perfect seal. It is my habit to always wipe the mounting surface now. To lube the new gasket I just rub the new and old filters together.

bdc above said: "...I just rub the new and old filters together." Really? Every procedural instruction you've ever seen calls for clean oil on the gasket. How do you sleep at night?
Oiling the gasket is the flat spot of an oil change for me. It's messy. I transfer it by contact using any stylus dipped into the oil.

bdc above said: "...I just rub the new and old filters together." Really? Every procedural instruction you've ever seen calls for clean oil on the gasket. How do you sleep at night?
Oiling the gasket is the flat spot of an oil change for me. It's messy. I transfer it by contact using any stylus dipped into the oil.
I guess it doubles a making sure the gaskets are the same? Just a weird habit I started doing and I hate touching oil even with gloves on.

Yes for a couple reasons.

I've made the mistake of leaving the old gasket on the housing. When I started that vehicle, a '91 Honda Accord, it pumped ALL of the oil out in about 15 seconds.

There is also usually a ring of dirt on the exposed housing surface when the filter is removed. Leaving dirt between the new gasket and the housing is asking for a leak.
When I was in hs I changed the oil on 69 F100, 390. I was in such a hurry that I left the old FL1A gasket behind. Let's just say that I had NEVER made that mistake EVER again! Yes, I used to wipe the filter base since that.

I alway clean and inspect the filter mount. I was taught that way. I also wipe down around the drain plug before removing and around the oil fill cap before removing that.

Always when I was changing my own oil a lifetime ago. Now a trusted Indy does the work but I still check carefully for drips on the garage floor after it’s done. Being 70 with an HOA up my butt has changed my techniques but not my tolerance for error.

Back