Do you wipe off the oil filter mounting surface during install?

If I can reach it. I never have on the Ranger because it's out of reach from almost any angle. I do look at it, I have to in order to get the filter lined up at the right angle. The 3.0L filter location isn't the worst I've come across, but it is weird. I usually fish the filter out from the top after loosening, drop it down from the top, get it threaded through the wheel well, then tighten from the top. 4.0Ls are sooo much easier.

Sloppy seconds! Just twist on the new filter just as you remove the old filter. The used oil dribbling from the mount will prefill the filter, lube the gasket and flow all over the filter canister and down your arms. Yea nasty!

Of course I wipe it down I'm not gross.

I have a problem of overly cleaning and lubricating everything I assemble. Makes for some time consuming work but I know it will be so much easier next time.

I always wipe down the mating surface to remove old dirty oil that might run onto the new filter making me think it's an oil leak and to remove grit and grime. I think I started doing this when I got my first car about 44 years ago. I remember my dad experiencing a double gasket one time which is probably what prompted me to visually check and wipe the surface down. Usually I double check that I've put the oil plug back in the oil pan too before I start pouring oil. About a year ago I forgot to double check one time while doing an oil change and about 1/2 quart of oil later I remembered I hadn't put the plug back in. Thankfully it just had to soak into the gravel so there was no big mess to clean up.

Yes. I always wipe the filter mounting surface, as well as shake the fuel filler nozzle before pulling it out.

Back