Do you wipe off the oil filter mounting surface during install?

Yes for a couple reasons.

I've made the mistake of leaving the old gasket on the housing. When I started that vehicle, a '91 Honda Accord, it pumped ALL of the oil out in about 15 seconds.

There is also usually a ring of dirt on the exposed housing surface when the filter is removed. Leaving dirt between the new gasket and the housing is asking for a leak.

On the civic the filter is on the back of the engine and I'm on my back when its being installed. I always feel for the gasket to.make sure it's not stick to the block. I always look at the filter also to make sure it's not stuck on the block.

I worked with a guy that did a double Gasket on his Acura on his DIY oil change. Guy realized he did it and was a couple of miles from his house. You would think he would shut down the motor and get the car towed home. No he drives it back home and the motor seizes. He ended up buying another car. The Acura was over 12 years old and he didn't really care.

Clean and a visual check of the surface. Ensures that I got all the dirt, and that the old gasket is gone.

The cartridge filters are an improvement over canister in this regard, despite the criticism that cartridge filters have received on BITOG. The cartridge housing lip keeps the mounting area clean and the o-ring comes off with the housing every time. Never a double gasket. Never a chance of dirt getting in from the filter boss or mounting area.

Last edited:
Never have, where the gasket makes contact is where the old gasket was. Give the new filter a good hand tightening and dont think about it until the next oil change

I don't wipe it down but I try to examine it visually to make sure it's clean and smooth.

I don't, only because it seems like when I do, I carry crud from the surface around it onto the mating surface. I do glance up there though, and if in a difficult location, I'll check by feel or verify that the gasket came off with the old filter. Lots of oil changes under my belt and has been working fine for me, never sandwiched an old gasket and hope I never do!

I don't, only because it seems like when I do, I carry crud from the surface around it onto the mating surface. I do glance up there though, and if in a difficult location, I'll check by feel or verify that the gasket came off with the old filter. Lots of oil changes under my belt and has been working fine for me, never sandwiched an old gasket and hope I never do!
yep, when I have it seems to spread more crud … I do match the filters face to face to make sure the gasket lands where the previous gasket was … At least when changing colors … but good chance it’s from a box of exact filters I got off eBay … so not in that case …

As far as sticking … ? Look at the filter I pulled …
BTW; my filters are towards the rear behind things … so not that dirty and when I go off-road in Tahoe or ? a sprinkler is placed under the vehicle … Jeep filter cartridge on top of motor
The Fusion Hybrid has a huge cover …

Last edited:
Yes. Got in the habit of that a long time ago. Also always check to make sure the gasket come off and then when I get the new filter on I wipe it off so I don’t confuse it with leaking oil.

Back