Do you usually sharpen or buy new blades?

I keep 2 sets for all my mowers. That way I can change and sharpen latter. I use factory Kubota blades for the big belly mower and everything else gets Gator G5's. Unlike some of the factory stuff they are straight and easy to sharpen. I hate those with the crazy curve and edge angle changes.

Couple passes with an angle grinder + flap disk. Balance and go. I do have 2 sets of blades I rotate thru.

Once the blades are too far gone or too damaged to my liking, it's time to buy new.

I used to buy new blades when mine got dull. Last year, I bought a Worksharp Ken Onion sharpener for my pocket knives and kitchen knives. I use it for sharpening mower blades as well. Quick and easy and I get good results.

Ok, I hated to be the only one that's using a dull blade so I figured I'd just buy a new one. But when I saw my Honda used a two blade setup and all the stores wanted what I considered real money for them I decided to sharpen them. I was surprised that even after 8 years of use and abuse both these blades didn't look that bad. Put them in a vise and used a flap disc on an angle grinder. Those blades are razor sharp now. Yeah I know you're not supposed to put that kind of an edge on them, or so I've been told. I see how well they perform now and if I notice any difference in the appearance of my lawn.

3 blades on the 54” deck. Did I wait too long to replace the original blades? The ends of the old blades have eroded. Blades at Lowe’s went on clearance just in time!
DEF9DA4C-57A3-4982-8B3D-B863A592EA7B.jpeg56C5D2DA-AE14-428B-99E8-0582B1A6BA84.jpeg

Buy new and recycle old blades . Usually purchase every 2 years . Buy sooner if incident with unseen object that bends blade .

Last edited:
Grass cutting season has arrived here and I got a couple mowings in already. So do you tend to try and sharpen or just buy new blades?

I tend to buy more then sharpen because I get sloppy and hit things I shouldn't bending or chipping up the blades.

If you sharpen what do you use to do it?
I Remove the blade, place it firmly in a bench vise, sharpen it with a common file, balance the blade, and reinstall. I do this twice per season, and the mower cuts like butter.

I sharpen for the first couple of times, after that I just replace. I feel sharpening alters the temper in the metal. Ymmv, of course.
Not getting hot enough to mess with the heat treatment. To alter the heat treatment you need the whole blade heated to at least 300f for extended periods of time.

I Remove the blade, place it firmly in a bench vise, sharpen it with a common file, balance the blade, and reinstall. I do this twice per season, and the mower cuts like butter.
Oil Pan 4, To answer your question I use the Sharpal dual-grit diamond file which you can look at here. It's two-sided, one side being coarse and the other fine, to finish off the blade edge. It has a comfortable grip and works great for me. There are simpler files that cost a few bucks less as well,
Good luck

I learned to sharpen blades properly by one of the commercial guys that did them for a living about 25 years ago. Bought an American Sharpener jig last year and now do them as a hobby (along with a little $$$ or beer). I have 47 regular "customers" at the present time and sharpen blades for them about twice in a season. Currently have 4 sets of Micro-Cuts for the Honda ground at 40° using 60 grit flap disc. They get changed after every fourth cut.

I sharpen mower blades about as often as I wash and wax the mailbox at the end of the driveway.

Ok thats not completely true. I have sharpened the blades a few times over the years, but honestly I never noticed much difference in what the lawn looks like before and after, and after checking them after 2-3 mowings the blades were about as dull as they were before I sharpened them, so the blade sharpener sits in a bin next to the brake line flaring tool which has also been used twice in 15 years.....

Back