Do you usually sharpen or buy new blades?

Grass cutting season has arrived here and I got a couple mowings in already. So do you tend to try and sharpen or just buy new blades?

I tend to buy more then sharpen because I get sloppy and hit things I shouldn't bending or chipping up the blades.

If you sharpen what do you use to do it?

Is there any art or skill required? I've never had any luck with chef's knives, never tried the lawnmower blade...

Sharpen up to a point, but if a blade is too nicked up or has bee sharpened too much it starts to make more sense to replace.

I use to use a bench grinder, but find that on the whole I seem to get better results with an angle grinder and flap wheel. It takes about the same amount of time either way, but the angle grinder keeps the motor out of the way so I'm not constantly maneuvering around it like with a bench grinder.

This season I've mostly been mowing with a 50 year old Lawn Boy that I'm pretty sure had its original blade on it. I know it's an older style blade as they redesigned the 21" blade in the 80s to not require a separate stiffener which this one has. I threw a new high lift blade on it(all the 2 stroke 21" staggered deck Lawn Boy blades are interchangeable from the 50s to when they stopped making them in the early 2000s) and was amazed at how much of a difference it made in cut quality and, in side discharge, let the mower throw the clippings 6+ feet just like my newer ones do.

Is there any art or skill required? I've never had any luck with chef's knives, never tried the lawnmower blade...
No not at all. We are cutting grass here. Most mowers do fine with a dull blade. You're basically just making the blade look wedge shaped. Too sharp a point has no durability.

Only thing you have to think about is balance since you are removing material. Hang it on a nail before putting it back into service. If one side is too heavy just file a bit more material off that side.

I buy Gator Back blades and sharpen and balance until they have lost too much metal. I use a side grinder and a bucket of water. Keep the blade cool to keep from ruining the temper. I also have two sets so I have a sharp set on hand.

Angle grinder with grinding wheel can heat the metal too much if you arent careful. flap disk is better at not producing excessive heat and being very efficient at removing metal.

I take the blades off hit them with the dewalt xr grinder and put them back on. I bought a second set but ended up throwing out 3 blades so I still need a second set so I can just swap and sharpen whenever.

Most homeowner lawnmower with 1 blade is fileable.. filing 3 blades on a burly 261 grooming deck I'd need a new arm.

Last edited:
I always sharpen on a grinder till they are worn out. I like to have a spare blade however. I have even repaired bent blades.

Back