Do you use auto start/stop feature (if applicable)?

Funny -- this winter I started not only killing ESS every time I get in my JL, but also traction control. The Tazer will do this for you but the last update kept killing my batteries and I haven't addressed it yet.

When I goose the throttle I want the vehicle to respond, not panic and kill power.

If possible, off if it’s a regular ICE car with a 12V starter and an AGM battery. Sorry, but less cycles on the starter is a trade off for diminishing HC/CO2 emission reduction. If it’s a BAS system(GM eAssist, Mopar e-Torque) or a hybrid, no problem - the engine spins up faster for instantaneous oil pressure and it was actually designed to spin up the crank frequently.

21 Pilot, I turn it off whenever I get in 99% of the time. Wife doesn't turn it off. When she pulls into the garage the engine turns off and then for some reason it turn again, either she inches the vehicle forward or takes her foot off the gas, it's annoying but at the end of the day it doesn't matter.

All cylinders must be firing under all conditions at all times. I will never own a car that can't fulfill that. If I have to turn it off every trip then it isn't worth having.

Lincoln calls Auto Stop Start ESS. They can't spell. I use it is stuck in super-slow traffic. The Mini doesn't have it. If I expect more than a 1-min stop I may turn the engine off manually

Last edited:
All cylinders must be firing under all conditions at all times. I will never own a car that can't fulfill that. If I have to turn it off every trip then it isn't worth having.
Then at some point you are going to be "beater" status. Because you won't be able to buy a vehicle without some of these features.
HINT-Air pollution standards are only going to get more stringent. And/or beaters will be legislated off the roads.

If I know I'm going to be stopped for an extended period of time, I don't mind it. I get annoyed when it shuts off at a stop sign so I usually disable it at start up. Of course when I reenable it when I know I'll be stopped for a while it never shuts the engine down.

No, the focus had a button and it quickly became habit to hit it when I turned the car on. It also used the normal starter, there wasn't a second/special one and burned through my first one around 130k I think. The 3 cyl startup wasn't very graceful either.

Reactions: D60
Back