Do you use auto start/stop feature (if applicable)?

I always disable it on the GTI. I don't really like the feature but it's not smooth on the car.

Our Atlas has it, I don't bother turning it off unless I'm in a stop/go situation or sometimes in summer b/c of losing AC/gets humid while it's off. The system is pretty good and won't turn off if AC is on max or a host of other metrics. In winter I don't care b/c the heat stays warm. I have just learned to drive around it to some degree, brake pedal pressure is key and I can slow/stop if I know I'll immediately get going again (say at a light you are coasting up to) I can just use less pressure on the brake pedal and it won't cut off (I hate the cut off/immediately start situations). It's really an unnecessary system but it's not hurting the starter like many think but I do believe it hurts the battery as I'm almost on 2 in our Atlas in 6 years.

Didn't she notice the feature during her test drive, and following that, the fact that she couldn't temporarely disable it?
I asked her that at the time. She said she didn't really notice it during the test drive. Once she had the car for a time she said it started to annoy her and didn't like the slight hesitation on re-start up at stop lights. She took it back to the dealer and asked them to disable it but they said they couldn't. Her solution was to go get a car that the ASS could be disabled.

Then at some point you are going to be "beater" status. Because you won't be able to buy a vehicle without some of these features.
HINT-Air pollution standards are only going to get more stringent. And/or beaters will be legislated off the roads.

I'll walk before I ever buy a car with cylinder shutoff or auto stop

On my '18 Buick Tour-X there is no option to disable. I paid $500 for a Trifecta tune which disables the feature and also boosts power, changes shift points, etc.

The factory programming for auto-start/stop is terrible when it comes to timing/prediction. It will shut off at the slightest stop. The implementation of it is fine, very seamless. Fortunately the Trifecta tune allows you to revert to stock settings by arming the cruise control. Start/stop is there when I want it and there's plenty of times that I do.

The only workaround prior to the tune was to put the car in neutral or manual-shift mode, but I felt like I was going to wear out the shifter as much as I used that method.

As my wife was talking to a salesman at a dealership I got lost in the service area.
I talked to a tech under a car.
His words were turn off the ASS every time and give it an Italian tune up. He said starters have been going bad in the 80-90 k range. A 2k job at dealer.
I don't like the ASS.
The Subaru system isn't smooth.
Thankfully can turn it off.
My grain of salt!

Last edited:
Or do you turn it off when you start your vehicle?
Hate it. Watched a video that the starters, flexplate, and etc were significantly improved to handle all the extra starts. They are not. I torn down several ford starters and nothing appears to be improved and they fail very often.

Now if you have a hybrid with a generator start absolutly a great feature. No need to run the engine when you have a good battery charge.

Back