Do you purchase or make washer fluid?

I started making my own with concentrate last year to avoid having to go buy the gallons of overpriced blue alcohol water which always had some leftover after filling so would have to find a place to store gallon jug that had a few pints remaining. Now I just have a small 8.5 oz of concentrate for summer and 32 oz bottle of concentrate for winter. I have undersink reverse osmosis system so I don't have to go out and buy distilled.

Summer fluid (no freeze protection) - works out to just under $1.00 per gallon and this stuff smells and works amazing. Has a nice soapy consistency and a nice citrus scent. Measuring cup built into bottle.

Nextzett Kristall Klar

Winter (mix to desired freeze) - for temps we see here I only mix down to 20F so its about 16 oz of concentrate in gallon of water (well 16 oz first then fill gallon jug so gallon minus 16 oz). Works out to about $2.50 per gallon - this could get more expensive if you are further north and need to mix to higher concentration.

VW/Audi washer concentrate

Costco sells the orange RainX bug and frost -25 during the summer, 2 per box. I don't remember the price though. Oddly it's not available during the winter. I buy like 5 boxes and it lasts me all year.
Some cars the orange RainX destroys the low fluid level sensors - mainly German cars but Chryslers as well.

I buy washer fluid if it's 50% alcohol. Anything less isn't worth the real estate it occupies. I can always dilute it myself if I so desire.
This mainly depends on the area, we never see anything lower than -20F for sale around here as we rarely even get days in the winter where it drops below 0. The -35 stuff might be closer to 50%, but I think the -20 stuff is more like 30% or so.

I started making my own with concentrate last year to avoid having to go buy the gallons of overpriced blue alcohol water which always had some leftover after filling so would have to find a place to store gallon jug that had a few pints remaining. Now I just have a small 8.5 oz of concentrate for summer and 32 oz bottle of concentrate for winter. I have undersink reverse osmosis system so I don't have to go out and buy distilled.

Summer fluid (no freeze protection) - works out to just under $1.00 per gallon and this stuff smells and works amazing. Has a nice soapy consistency and a nice citrus scent. Measuring cup built into bottle.

Nextzett Kristall Klar

Winter (mix to desired freeze) - for temps we see here I only mix down to 20F so its about 16 oz of concentrate in gallon of water (well 16 oz first then fill gallon jug so gallon minus 16 oz). Works out to about $2.50 per gallon - this could get more expensive if you are further north and need to mix to higher concentration.

Some cars the orange RainX destroys the low fluid level sensors - mainly German cars but Chryslers as well.

Nextzett Kristall Klar

messes up the Ford sensors too. hate that low fluid light on when you just filled. no rain-x fluid for me

Yep… happened to my 300. Stopped using it entirely, only the regular blue stuff from now on. I buy it though, not worth the effort to make it.

This mainly depends on the area, we never see anything lower than -20F for sale around here as we rarely even get days in the winter where it drops below 0. The -35 stuff might be closer to 50%, but I think the -20 stuff is more like 30% or so.

-65F in case of methanol

Can you please share the recipe with us?

I use either of these concoctions:

Diluted Window Cleaner
Sometimes the easiest method is the best one. For a quick and easy windshield wiper solution, try mixing one part glass cleaner with three parts water. Use a few small drops of liquid dish soap (Dawn) for added cleaning properties.

Vinegar Wiper Fluid
Vinegar is a safe and effective cleaner for moderate temperatures and works well when pollen is heavy. If you’re concerned about chemicals and the environment, vinegar is effective and safe. However, it can produce a fairly strong odor. Be sure to use white distilled vinegar as any other type of vinegar is likely to leave a residue on your windshield. I add one part distilled vinegar to four parts water to begin and modify the solution as needed. Also, I add about one teaspoon of Dawn dishwashing detergent to my mixture.

Caveats
I don’t live in a cold climate, so there’s no need for me to use any alcohol in my mixture. Alcohol is used as an antifreeze. My dirt is mostly pollen at certain times of the year and the dust that settles from the atmosphere or which is deposited by rainwater pulling stuff from the air or washing dust from trees and overhanging plants or bushes. I've not had to deal with mud or heavy road grime. These mixtures have worked well for me in any situation I've encountered.

Don’t mix your homemade cleaner with other commercial cleaners that remain in your washer tank. Drain the tank or run some clean water through the system to minimize any incompatibilities. While using distilled water for your mixture is ideal, the tap water I use has been filtered and thus far it’s not caused any issues.

I use either of these concoctions:

Diluted Window Cleaner
Sometimes the easiest method is the best one. For a quick and easy windshield wiper solution, try mixing one part glass cleaner with three parts water. Use a few small drops of liquid dish soap (Dawn) for added cleaning properties.

Vinegar Wiper Fluid
Vinegar is a safe and effective cleaner for moderate temperatures and works well when pollen is heavy. If you’re concerned about chemicals and the environment, vinegar is effective and safe. However, it can produce a fairly strong odor. Be sure to use white distilled vinegar as any other type of vinegar is likely to leave a residue on your windshield. I add one part distilled vinegar to four parts water to begin and modify the solution as needed. Also, I add about one teaspoon of Dawn dishwashing detergent to my mixture.

Caveats
I don’t live in a cold climate, so there’s no need for me to use any alcohol in my mixture. Alcohol is used as an antifreeze. My dirt is mostly pollen at certain times of the year and the dust that settles from the atmosphere or which is deposited by rainwater pulling stuff from the air or washing dust from trees and overhanging plants or bushes. I've not had to deal with mud or heavy road grime. These mixtures have worked well for me in any situation I've encountered.

Don’t mix your homemade cleaner with other commercial cleaners that remain in your washer tank. Drain the tank or run some clean water through the system to minimize any incompatibilities. While using distilled water for your mixture is ideal, the tap water I use has been filtered and thus far it’s not caused any issues.
THANK YOU Sir! :)

Purchase. Walmart sells it for $1.99/gallon. Hard pressed to make your own and justify any so-called "savings".
It rains all the time here so my washer fluid is usually rain from the sky. Those moments with wet roads and no rain require a spritz of fluid here and there. I probably use a gallon every 6-12 months in two cars. What's that, like at most $5/yr? I just buy it

Purchase. Walmart sells it for $1.99/gallon. Hard pressed to make your own and justify any so-called "savings".
I don't make my own for saving $$$, although even at the Walmart price you mention (which, I believe, is an outdated price) there's still a saving.

ecbf71d610d8fd239af9a9b818567f36--mmf250x250.jpg

7€ 1,3 gal -22f fluid ... it froze just like summer fluid.. sodding liars !
i had to dump etanol in to melt it.

If you read your owners manual, it says to use washer fluid only on a heated windshield.

Any washer fluid will freeze on a cold windshield. The alcohol evaporates quickly.
The alcohol is to keep it from freezing and ruining your system, not from freezing on your windshield. At least that's how I've always understood it.

The alcohol is to keep it from freezing and ruining your system, not from freezing on your windshield. At least that's how I've always understood it.
Right. If it's frozen, it won't do any good cleaning your windshield. Mercedes also heats their windshield washer fluid.

I just bought SPLASH -50 RV antifreeze instead. Used in potable water plumbing: Propylene glycol and Ethanol
it seems to lube the wiper rubber better than blue wwf. Just dont buy the Walmart Brand.
This stuff doesn't stay liquid to -50, it's just guaranteed to not burst your pipes that low. Whatever "ice" (more like slush) it makes, contracts instead of expands. OTOH if it works...

i use cheap vodka in my washer reservoir. that way if my truck breaks down on a cold day, i can get sauced waiting for a tow truck. it's the ultimate winter warmer! i do get some funny looks laying on the hood with my mouth on the washer nozzle reaching my hand around inside the window to work the wiper stalk, though ..

Back