Do you purchase or make washer fluid?

When i had access to unlimited washer fluid from work i used it like crazy. I was always cleaning my window. It was nice.

Well yes it can. Any solute in water will depress the freezing point the same regardless of what it is, on a molal basis.
I posted this question here a few years ago about why don't manufacturers sell a washer fluid concentrate that would cost a fraction of what it costs to ship gallon jugs, and you could add a few capfulls to a gallon of water and get -20°F washer fluid. The reply was that it wasn't possible.

I posted this question here a few years ago about why don't manufacturers sell a washer fluid concentrate that would cost a fraction of what it costs to ship gallon jugs, and you could add a few capfulls to a gallon of water and get -20°F washer fluid. The reply was that it wasn't possible.
The concentrates will lower the freezing point but not enough to matter for our purpose. For example, if water freezes at 32F and we lower it to 20F. That is still not enough for winter.

1643322414408.jpg

That would probably have to do more with either economics or ignorance than chemical possibility

Well, they sell concentrate versions of all kinds of products. Laundry detergent. Powdered drink mixes. Radiator antifreeze. Why so hard to make this in a useful concentrate?
All concentrates are basically dehydrated mixes. Dehydrated washer fluid would basically be alcohol. You could buy a gallon of alcohol to make three gallons of washer fluid.

Well, they sell concentrate versions of all kinds of products. Laundry detergent. Powdered drink mixes. Radiator antifreeze. Why so hard to make this in a useful concentrate?
The concentrate in this case is pure (or close to it) alcohol. Most washer fluids here use methanol. -20f is roughly 25% methanol, -35f is 45% methanol, and -50f would be 60+% methanol. (All very rough).

Transporting, storing, etc of pure methanol is troublesome as it is flammable. When diluted in washer fluid, it is less so.

There is no way to "concentrate" alcohol further.

My normal routine for washer fluid is to fill the tank with water and put a splash of car wash soap in it. Im a high user of washer fluid since I do mainly interstate driving. However, I have always wondered why people purchase it vs making it. Thoughts?

BTW, I purchase the blinker fluid, thats important!

50 % propylene gylcol by mass is good to -29F(-34C), and boiling point is also raised 10deg F.
These solutions can get slushy way before the freezing point though

All concentrates are basically dehydrated mixes. Dehydrated washer fluid would basically be alcohol. You could buy a gallon of alcohol to make three gallons of washer fluid.

Yes, just like dehydrated water!

303 makes tablets that I use outside winter simply dissolved in tap water, paid $10 for 25pcs tube, that's 25 jugs of washer fluid for $10.
You could just get a gallon of regular windshield washer fluid and and dilute it 5:1 or 3:1 during the summer with water. You'd still have some methanol, probably good for anywhere from 20-28 degrees. Water cleans better anyway.

It's so cheap at the store that it's not worth trying to make yourself. I got a bottle for $2 at Walmart just before the prices went up, so it should last me all winter.
For me at least, making washer fluid vs buying it has nothing to do with economics and everything to do with performance.

While there are some premixed washer fluids that are acceptable, I haven't found any of the common choices that do a great job at washing off bugs and such. The Mercedes fluid is pretty good, and I've read very good reviews of the BMW washer fluid, but haven't tried it. So making washer fluid at home is all about finding a product that performs.

After reading reviews I tried the 303 tablets, but have been very underwhelmed by them. I've even tried mixing them at 2x and 3x the ratio in the instructions, and still haven't had any better results than some of the better pre-mix. I have had pretty good results with nextzett concentrate, which looks a lot like the Sonax concentrate.

All that said, living in a cold winter climate, it is inconvenient to have to switch to and from an antifreeze type solution. Sometimes I question if it is worth the hassle.

I use Einzsett concentrate or 303 tablets, with a gallon of distilled water. While the Einzsett has a water softener(but that calcium precipitate has to go somewhere), demineralized water helps to prevent problems.

To me, with 303 tabs it's just convenience and price per Gal, the tabs work while may not match best bottled fluid in performance. I go thru fluid due to salt and spray from cars in front. I haven't seen fluid cheaper than C$3.50 /Gal lately.

My normal routine for washer fluid is to fill the tank with water and put a splash of car wash soap in it. Im a high user of washer fluid since I do mainly interstate driving. However, I have always wondered why people purchase it vs making it. Thoughts?

BTW, I purchase the blinker fluid, thats important!
Synthetic blinker fluid !

It’s a matter of convenience for me… I mix it because we go through a lot, especially in pollen season. in the summer when it’s hot, if I use premixed fluid I usually dilute it because it evaps too fast otherwise. in the winter I tend to use premix, however it’s just occurred to me that all of the cars right now have home brew mixes in them, but nobody is complaining of it freezing. They are also trained to (hopefully) not try to use rubber wiper blades to scrape a windshield.

Back