Do You Pre Fill Your Oil Filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Honda is a bottom mounted oil filter and the Subaru is a top mounted oil filter. I do not pre fill my oil filters, ever. I have never had an issue, never heard increased noise upon initial startup after an oil change. But, I am thinking, am I doing real harm by not pre filling? How would you pre fill the Subaru without leaking oil?

What are your thoughts on pre filling the oil filter with new oil during your oil change?

I Pre-fill every filter. I don't like the thought of the engine being without oil, for even a second or two.

Last edited:
I pre-fill because I can.

The few seconds without oil, and at low loads, probably isn't doing any damage but my thoughts are "why not."

Yes I do. Fortunately on the Accord and Impala, the filter is almost straight up and down.

I do it. The amount of time of "not having oil" is measured in fractions of a second...the oil pressure light goes off immediately after the engine start, just like usual...but why not, right?

I'll put some oil in the filter, but not full. Maybe 1/2 to 3/4 depending on the limbo the filter needs to do to get into place without spillage.

I never did for years and had no problems. I started prefiling lately because of a vehicle specific problem that can come back at a later date and bite you. On bottom mount like my Corvette or wife's Jeep, I fill up 3/4, on Honda side mount I put in enough to soak filter media and a little more. On my Porsche 951, Porsche thought it best to mount the filter top mount so you get oil all over the exhaust getting it off. I already have a Big mess so I just do my best to keep as much as possible in the filter until it on.

Though it likely makes little or no difference, where practicable I do prefill. One of the benefits of diy oil/filter change, doing it my way.

Originally Posted By: Bud_One
I Pre-fill every filter. I don't like the thought of the engine being without oil, for even a second or two.

+1.
thumbsup2.gif

Some people find it a waste of time to do so. It makes me sleep better at night.
I also get a warm fuzzy feeling all over.
grin.gif

I prefill when possible. If it's a spin on filter and it will hold oil while screwing it on I will put this amount in it without intentionally trying to fill it up to the point that it leaks on installation.

Cellulose media probably benefits greater from the soaking than synthetic but since it doesn't hurt anything and we want the best, why not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back