Do you follow severe differential oil change interval?

My 2017 Nissan Titan says “inspect” the differential, but change every 20k miles if towing a trailer or driving in dusty areas. Out of curiosity I checked the manual for my dad’s 98 Chevy and it said for a locking diff change it at the first oil change and then every 15k miles. I’m 99% certain that wasn’t done.

Is any Chevy driver actually changing their differential oil every 15k miles? I guess it’s time for me to start. Of course the rear locker on this truck doesn’t have a drain so I guess I’ll be sucking it out or buying a new gasket.

I'd guess about 0% of Chevy trucks are consistently changing that often.

I'm guilty of doing Mityvac diff changes, but just know that they leave a lot of wear sludge at the bottom of the case. It's better to pull the cover and clean them out manually. Not saying suction and refill jobs are not worthwhile to do, just not as good as the the full service. I think that's why a lot of diffs don't come with a drain plug.

Edit: I like to use this instead of a gasket.

Last edited:
(Small'ish) Ford driver. I never even really looked at what the recommended interval is for mine. I did a change at 10K and then another at 30, and will do them at 30 from here out.

Small'ish diff and we tow a ~6500# trailer on a decently regular basis. I'm not willing to go super long intervals on it. Cheap insurance on that part.

At the same time, I'm sure there are scores of trucks that go to the grave with(not because of) factory fills in the diff.

I started doing it on my 3500. Im glad I did. The factory fill, guessing 75w85, came out like grey, foamy water. We towed very heavy and lots. Mind you since using a quality 80w140 ive gone longer.

No, I do not follow severe intervals. I change mine when I feel like doing it. Change intervals have varied from 40k-100k miles. I never had a problem with a differential. What does that tell you regarding the toughest item on a vehicle.

Little GMC Canyon did a rear diff service at 45k then just did it again at 70k

Old Bronco gets f/r diff's, transfer case & transmission every 3yrs.

I usually go about 50k after I change it for the first time. I did put in ACdelco fluid at 105k when I bought the truck with 102k on it. I’ll prob change it out at 125k with Valvoline. Although we’re looking at a camper Sunday so if I buy it, it may get changed sooner.

I do my 2012 Cummins Ram every 15-20k. I tow a 11k TT with it in the summer, so I think it is worth the time. I have AFE diff covers with drain ports so it has made the job much easier.

Just my $0.02

I change the rear diff oil in my little Mazda truck every 10-20k miles. The way I run the truck would probably fall into a severe service interval. Its has a factory fill and drain plug so its easy to do.

My 2001 Chevy Blazer 4x4 got its first front and rear differential fluid change at 105,000 miles. The diff fluids never got changed until 105,000 miles. It had the factory fluid in it. The oil looked black, but there really wasn’t any metal in the fluid, or any visible wear on the gears.

The differentials still work great at 107,000 miles. I drained the oil fluid, and filled it with Walmart super tech 80w90 Dino oil. I’ll probably change the fluids with Walmart 80w90 dino gear oil every 40k miles, just because the fluid is cheap, and it’s very easy to change.

Of course, this changes with different makes and models, but because trucks take 2 or more quarts in the differentials, they can last longer without fluid changes, VS a regular car with small differentials that hold a quart or less.

I use the vacuum method and do it every 50k. which is a major service. basically all fluids every 50k and oil every 5k.

I use the severe maintenance recommendations for my Honda Pilot because I do mostly city driving.

I changed my 05’ Xterra’s rear diff with 200,000 miles on it. It came out pretty clean, someone had changed it recently. I changed it because I noticed some rear diff fluid seeping out of the rear axle seals, Which is common on Nissan trucks and SUVs of that era. I relocated the breather behind the taillight. I put Valvoline 75w90 in there and probably won’t change it for the rest of its life.

Xterra in my signature has the C200K diff. Changed every 30K miles. Never towed anything with it. Has 399,200 miles on it now. Has never leaked, no bearing issues, nada. Diff fluid on its own will likely last forever, but the fluid will get fully of micro metal particles that can only be removed if drained. IMHO.

Back