Did the shop perform the work I paid for? Brake Flush and Oil Change with photos.

Brake flush every other year is easy. I had to convince my dad who’s been driving for the last 45 years to flush the brakes. He usually gets rid of cars after a few years. I have been getting him to do more preventive maintenance
Just curious…
What benefits were acknowledged by your dad?

I remember seeing this episode too and it's really disappointing to hear.

What's the point of only replacing the fluid in the master cylinder? The fluid does not circulate in the brake system, so brake fluid in some of the most critical areas remains unchanged.
Correct. it does not really circulate or self bleed.

However, moisture sometimes enters the fluid through the reservoir and a simple change here does keep that fluid from finding its way downstream as pads wear Or ABS engages.

I asked a brake shop to flush the brakes a few years ago and they asked for clarification. “Flush” to them implied using a cleaning agent, pumped through the lines, to fix a debris problem. He asked if there was a particular problem and I clarified no, I just want it bled to where there’s fresh fluid throughout. He relaxed and said, ok good - we just call that a bleed. If we are going to bleed it, we may sure clean fluid is what ends up coming out. I’d never been questioned on that before, but I’ve avoided the term “brake flush” since then.

Honda recommends brake flush or bleeding every 3 years. It costs the same as replacing one quart of differential fluid. To me it's preventive maintenance like changing oil early. It depends on how and where you drive and if you can afford a new car every 5 years. Right now keeping your vehicle maintained is cheaper than replacing the vehicle you can't get.

That oil looks a little dirty. We have gotten batches of bulk oil that has been darker than others before so maybe something like that is the case here. That’s part of the reason I would never run bulk oil in a car. Maybe they didn’t do it at all too that’s a possibility. At my dealership those are all considered express services so there is a team of techs that work on it not just one so that maybe why it was done so quickly. We also don’t do cross rotates either we only do front to back. That’s how I learned so I think they done good there.
I don’t like bulk oils. It can be delivered in a tanker that hauled a load of solvent etc before the bulk oil delivery. I’ve personally seen and smelled it. Made a supplier come and get a load because of a contamination issue.

I replaced a caliper on our Civic a while back (not the first I've replaced on different cars) but just could not get it bled. My son and I used a vacuum tool as well as the old-fashioned pedal-pump method. Gave up and took it to our neighborhood shop... They called during the day that it was done and ready to be picked up. Charged me 30 minutes labor.
I’m just going by fluid exchange on a Mercedes. They put it on a machin, bled each wheel and then let the machine run for a while. I assumed it was some kind of pump.

I’m just going by fluid exchange on a Mercedes. They put it on a machin, bled each wheel and then let the machine run for a while. I assumed it was some kind of pump.

Yep I use that valvoline brake machine at our shop. It pushes pressurized fluid through the system via master cylinder and 4 hoses that go on the open bleeders

Is it perfect. Nah but it’s the service they sell. I imagine all the shop service companies offer a machine. BG, Wynns, etc

I would say a majority of vehicles I do the service on it does help pedal feel in a positive way. So if nothing else it’s pushing some new fluid in and getting some air out of somewhere.

I’m not in the auto industry, so please correct me, but I find it hard to imagine a regular person (normal, kept appearance, etc) bringing normally kept and non abused car for warranty purpose and the dealership going out of the way to deny warranty, unless shown a receipt for “brake fluid flush” (or whatever) done 5 years ago. Now if it’s a clapt out vehicle with dings, scrapes and so on, low on oil that is black, smoked inside and brought in by trashy low life that smoked inside he car - yeah, I could see how they’d want a proof required maintenance was done.

Am I wrong?

I have had a fair amount of warranty work done over the years including replacement of some pretty major items like cylinder head, transmission, steering gearbox, clutch pressure plate, throwout bearing and pilot bearing etc. across a couple different vehicles, and I have never been asked to provide any proof of maintenance. I think it would have to be a pretty egregious situation to require it.

Last edited:
I have had a fair amount of warranty work done over the years including replacement of some pretty major items like cylinder head, transmission, steering gearbox, clutch pressure plate, throwout bearing and pilot bearing etc. across a couple different vehicles, and I have never been asked to provide any proof of maintenance. I think it would have to be a pretty egregious situation to require it.
Some dealers maybe be more lenient, but if there is engine damage or a component that’s required periodic maintenance, without data in the system showing required maintenance was performed, it’s easy to deny for lack of oil change etc .

The components you mention don’t require maintenance, at least when the vehicle is fairly new. If you spun a bearing or overheated the engine you have a weaker case.

Some dealers maybe be more lenient, but if there is engine damage or a component that’s required periodic maintenance, without data in the system showing required maintenance was performed, it’s easy to deny for lack of oil change etc .

The components you mention don’t require maintenance, at least when the vehicle is fairly new. If you spun a bearing or overheated the engine you have a weaker case.

The example I gave of the cylinder head replacement also required the upper valvetrain with new cams, cam followers, phasers, and lash adjusters on that bank. I brought the vehicle in about a week before my 5 year powertrain warranty expired at around 80,000 miles, but they didn't require documented proof of oil changes or even ask me if I changed the oil. Also, the only records in their system were for other warranty repairs because I never brought the vehicle to any repair shop or dealership for scheduled maintenance items.

The example I gave of the cylinder head replacement also required the upper valvetrain with new cams, cam followers, phasers, and lash adjusters on that bank. I brought the vehicle in about a week before my 5 year powertrain warranty expired at around 80,000 miles, but they didn't require documented proof of oil changes or even ask me if I changed the oil. Also, the only records in their system were for other warranty repairs because I never brought the vehicle to any repair shop or dealership for scheduled maintenance items.
Maybe a known issue? But what if they did ask for proof? That’s my argument.

That’s my take as well. I think this “document stuff for warranty purpose” is a boogeyman

Maybe a known issue? But what if they did ask for proof? That’s my argument.

I guess I'm not totally convinced it's necessary to keep oil change or other maintenance records based on my own experience, and talking to others I know that had similar issues with the vehicle which is a Chrysler product. It definitely isn't a bad idea to keep them as a precaution, but do you know of a significant number of real examples of people being denied warranty coverage without producing these records? I just have never seen any significant data or heard of any actual real people showing this is an issue of concern. For the record, I do keep detailed records of every oil change including a picture of the receipt and a log book of every maintenance item.

I guess I'm not totally convinced it's necessary to keep oil change records based on my own experience, and talking to others I know that had similar issues with the vehicle which is a Chrysler product. It definitely isn't a bad idea to keep them as a precaution, but do you know of a significant number of real examples of people being denied warranty coverage without producing these records? I just have never seen any significant data or heard of any actual real people showing this is an issue of concern.

If you have an oil related issue under warranty, they are definitely going to ask for oil change receipts. 100%. As long as the interval is reasonable and the proper oil spec is used that is typically good enough.

If you have an oil related issue under warranty, they are definitely going to ask for oil change receipts. 100%. As long as the interval is reasonable and the proper oil spec is used that is typically good enough.

Do you have any real examples of people who had this happen?

I guess I'm not totally convinced it's necessary to keep oil change or other maintenance records based on my own experience, and talking to others I know that had similar issues with the vehicle which is a Chrysler product. It definitely isn't a bad idea to keep them as a precaution, but do you know of a significant number of real examples of people being denied warranty coverage without producing these records? I just have never seen any significant data or heard of any actual real people showing this is an issue of concern. For the record, I do keep detailed records of every oil change including a picture of the receipt and a log book of every maintenance item.
I am not familiar with anyone collecting data on this though it would be interesting to see. Maybe carfax will come up with something with all their data mining at dealerships now.

I can say as an insurance adjuster who also had to deal with mechanical breakdown coverage and being to hundreds, if not thousands of dealerships and working with service writers and techs, this is likely and happens.

The Moss-Magnuson Act allows dealers to deny such claims. We even had a case here where a warranty company denied an engine repair because the owner did not rotate their tires, insane, that is an extreme example though. Never buy a 3rd party warranty.

Imagine if someone never changed the break fluid on a differential and the clutch packs fried at 80k before the extended warranty is over or didn’t flush their breaks according to the 3 year requirement by Honda and something happened to the system. That’s what the dealer will think without proof. Just a recommendation whenever you do some maintenance, at the least snap a photo of the receipt, save it and even of the work being done, no need to even file it nowadays.

“The federal minimum standards for full warranties are waived if the warrantor can show that the problem associated with a warranted consumer product was caused by damage while in the possession of the consumer, or by unreasonable use, including a failure to provide reasonable and necessary maintenance.”

Do you have any real examples of people who had this happen?

How is anybody going to be able to provide you with examples that aren't anecdotal if they haven't happened specifically to them?

Needing to show proper maintenance while asking for warranty consideration seems like common sense.

How is anybody going to be able to provide you with examples that aren't anecdotal if they haven't happened specifically to them?

Needing to show proper maintenance while asking for warranty consideration seems like common sense.

I'm just asking for even one well documented real life example of this actually happening because I have never seen it. It might seem like common sense, but it's just a waste of time doing it if it doesn't happen routinely in real life situations.

I'm just asking for even one well documented real life example of this actually happening because I have never seen it. It might seem like common sense, but it's just a waste of time doing it if it doesn't happen routinely in real life situations.

Doesn't really seem like a waste of time to keep maintenance records. Not only for warranty reasons but also for helping a future sale.

Back