Do you drink milk regularly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Question per thread title. Do you drink it regularly? If so are your calcium levels good as far as you know?

I found out I may be osteoporosis prone. My diet is pretty varied so I never felt the need to consume milk but I guess I need to consider it. (I have no issues eating cheese or ice cream)

How about supplements? Anyone taking Citracal or OsCal?

I used to drink it all the time growing up on a farm. Now I drink soy milk and cashew milk a few times a week. Maybe yogurt would help.

My potassium level was a tad low so I started eating 2 apples and more greens a few times a day. My 2cents

Nope. Growing up I had three brothers, and we could demolish a gallon of milk just for breakfast. Thus the parents limited us. I rarely eat breakfast cereal these days, thus milk isn't something I have that often. AFAIK I still don't have any lactose problems.

Now, I did recently realize that bad teeth run in the family; the complaint is soft enamel. How true it is I'm not sure, but I decided to add in yogurt on a regular basis, for both teeth and bone health. I get non-sweetened Greek style, and add some granola. No idea if it is doing what I want to do, won't know for a few decades I guess.

Nope. Horrible stuff, and about as easy to contain as plutonium, with a smell that has similar half life if it gets out

They squezze it from cows you know? Eeuw!

Once you are an adult drinking milk has little benefits.

A hundred thousand men and women were followed for up to 20 years. Researchers found that milk-drinking women had higher rates of death, more heart disease, and significantly more cancer for each glass of milk. Three glasses a day was associated with nearly twice the risk of premature death, and they had significantly more bone and hip fractures. More milk, more fractures.

Men in a separate study also had a higher rate of death with higher milk consumption, but at least they didn’t have higher fracture rates. So, the researchers found a dose dependent higher rate of both mortality and fracture in women, and a higher rate of mortality in men with milk intake, but
https://nutritionfacts.org/2017/01/31/why-is-milk-consumption-associated-with-more-bone-fractures/

Last edited:
Nope, nothing in nature drinks milk after it's weaned, we don't need to either.

Marketting at it's best that we "need" to drink the stuff, and then "healthier" substitutes.

My family of 4 goes through maybe 1-2L a week.

The more I stayed away from milk products the better I felt. Now I will only consume blue cheese (very small quantities and infrequently) and whatever unintentional things happen (cheese in a sandwich, butter).

Also:

Not here either. Almond milk if any and that is very little.

We humans are the only species that drink milk from another species after we get off our own mothers milk. Think about it. If we were intended to drink milk till we die then we would produce our own and not drink another's.

Yep I have whole milk on my cereal and I have real Heavy Cream in my coffee. I'm 74 next week and I'm going to keep using the stuff I enjoy in life. My Cholesterol is 105 total.

Last edited:
Oh, Yea! I just had a small glass with some homemade cookies while surfing here on the computer. There are some things I can't imagine eating without a glass of milk. My wife and I go through a gallon every 2-3 days.

I pity those who are lactose intolerant.

Originally Posted By: Rat407

We humans are the only species that drink milk from another species after we get off our own mothers milk. Think about it. If we were intended to drink milk till we die then we would produce our own and not drink another's.

Im so tired of hearing that lame argument. "We are the only species..."
We are also the only species who drive cars, fly airplanes and live in houses and invent tons of things. Its because we are smarter! I dont think milk is everything but I dont avoid it. I get calcium from a wide range of sources yogurt, milk, almond milk, vegetables etc.

Originally Posted By: CKN
Once you are an adult drinking milk has little benefits.

A hundred thousand men and women were followed for up to 20 years. Researchers found that milk-drinking women had higher rates of death, more heart disease, and significantly more cancer for each glass of milk. Three glasses a day was associated with nearly twice the risk of premature death, and they had significantly more bone and hip fractures. More milk, more fractures.

Men in a separate study also had a higher rate of death with higher milk consumption, but at least they didn’t have higher fracture rates. So, the researchers found a dose dependent higher rate of both mortality and fracture in women, and a higher rate of mortality in men with milk intake, but
https://nutritionfacts.org/2017/01/31/why-is-milk-consumption-associated-with-more-bone-fractures/

Bingo!

I gave up milk years ago. When I did, I also stopped suffering from seasonal allergies.
I informed my mother of this (in her 60s and also instructed to drink more milk due to her age) and she also has kicked seasonal allergies. She spends more time in the garden in summer than she ever has and loves every minute of it. No need for things like Claritin anymore!

I'm 38, snowboard, longboard, run and workout regularly and still have yet to break/fracture a bone.

True story

Originally Posted By: Rat407

OK. I'll bite. What other things that humans consume should we produce on our own? What about vegetables? Should they grow out of our noses so we don't have to cultivate them in fields? What about fruit? And seeds? I love salmon. How can I produce that on my own? There is nothing quite like a rack of St. Louis style ribs off the grill. If I am intended to eat them until I die, where should they come from? We have to have water to live. Should my body produce it's own? Exactly how would that work? The human body has to have sodium to survive. But my body doesn't produce it. Should we list all the trace elements that the human body has to have. And it all has to come from other sources.

Sorry, but the arguments that the "don't drink cows milk" crowd come up with are totally lame. Many of them are outright lies.

Kind of ironic, don't you think? The anti cow's milk crowd tell us that we have been given a bill of sale by the dairy producers. Yet isn't that what the alternative products are doing when they market their products as almond milk, soy milk, rice milk, hemp milk? When these products are marketed as "milk", aren't their producers giving the consumer a bill of sale?

If you don't want to drink cows milk, fine. Drink your almond juice or rice water or Gatorade, or whatever you choose. But if you are so insecure about your decision that you feel it necessary to malign anyone who prefers and enjoys milk, then something is wrong with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back