Do you consider going WOT Abusive ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i do it after idling in traffic, once it clears up and i need to speed up from 35 to 65mph i normally just go WOT if the lane is clear.

How can any "car guy" worth his salt not open it up once in a while? IMHO, the sweetest sound I've ever heard is the sound of a V-8 engine under WOT! Ford's modular V-8's have one of the sweetest sounds as they head toward the redline wide open. I love watching COPS when there's a chase--to hear that OHV V-8 winding up to the redline repeatedly as they slow down for corners and then open it up again is great! They're not that fast but they sound great!

i forgot to mention, there are just some cars who are designed to be pushed hard. My celica is made to be happy at WOT, it's designed with a narrow powerband that demands a heavy foot.

Quote:

My contention is that as long as the engine and driveline are well warmed up, then short bursts to RedLine are not abusive. But let us look at this in context. If the engine and driveline are not well warmed up, then even 2/3rds throttle IS abusive; similarly, if the oil temperature is above 235dF then anything more than 2/3rds throttle is abusive. However, with the oil between 180dF and 215dF, a short quick burst up to RedLine at WOT is not abusive, at least until the oil temp gets above the aforementioned 235dF. Key words:: "short" "quick" "burst to RedLine".

Supporting data: I have a 1995 F355B that has 50K total miles and at least 4.3K of these miles has taken place on race tracks. This car is still running perfect. This car has never been run over 4000 RPMs until the oil is above 180dF, but afterwards, it gets the proverbial snot run out of it on the race track. Most of the lapping sessions are don in the heat of Texas summers (103dF).

I think this is about as close to the truth as one can get... I fully agree.

For me, I never go above 4500 or so RPM. Do I WOT? yes, and in 2nd and 3rd gear, I can get enough fun pull from my car to derive excellent performance for what I want.

I try not to WOT it much, nor do I take it near redline because it sucks too much fuel, regardless of vehicle. Unless there is a super short high speed merge, or I was racing, I really dont see the need. 'fun' isnt an acceptable excuse for myself, personally.

JMH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back