Do you consider going WOT Abusive ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

That wouldn't explain the reason why my trap speeds went from 105.6 to 106.4 though. That trap speed increase shows a decent difference in power (about 6 or 7 hp)

did it get colder as the day went by?

Nope, I made all five of my runs all in a row, within the first 30min, so the weather was identical on all of the runs. Coolant temp was also the same on all of the runs too (around 194F, which is where the LS1 makes it's best power)

no wind either huh?

When done correctly I stay between 6000 and 9000 rpm at WOT in 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear.
At the end of that acceleration I way over any speed limit here, so I ususlly do not go on into 4th and higher gears.
Thats's what the F20C / Honda S2000 was made to do.
Great fun!
I always try to stay away from WOT at low revs (below 2500 rmp)

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

That wouldn't explain the reason why my trap speeds went from 105.6 to 106.4 though. That trap speed increase shows a decent difference in power (about 6 or 7 hp)

did it get colder as the day went by?

Nope, I made all five of my runs all in a row, within the first 30min, so the weather was identical on all of the runs. Coolant temp was also the same on all of the runs too (around 194F, which is where the LS1 makes it's best power)

no wind either huh?

Nope, winds were light that day. If it were a windy day, I would've attributed a head wind for causing the trap speed to be lower on the first run. Although the positioning of this dragstrip allows for very few days where there is ever a head wind. More often than not, if it's windy there, it ends up being a tailwind luckily!

So I'm still convinced my car builds up carbon fast if I don't go WOT. A typical trip to the dragstrip for me will consist of me going WOT a few times on the backroads before I arrive there, and when I do that, my first run is just as good as the following runs.

Next time I go to the track I'll try it again where I don't go WOT at all for a day or two before arriving, and see if the first run ends up being slower than the following runs. And when I go again one more time after that, I will go WOT a lot before arriving at the track and compare.

Quote:

It's far less abusive than slowing down an entire lane of traffic or causing an accident because you merged too slow.

Especially on 66/234, eh Brian???
laugh.gif

Patman,

Forget your Vette and carbon build up.

Lets say a Honda that was driven WOT maybe 4 or 5 times a day verses a Honda that never got any WOT. At 100K miles, would there be any carbon built up inside the second car ??
dunno.gif

eeeesh, I95..

I don't get that far east anymore, except to come up to New England. I do get down 66 to hit Auto Zone, and Pep in Manassas, both of which are lacking out by Herndon/Dulles.

Forget 28/66, they'd have to buy homes to fix that. Va. won't do that. You know how development-greedy No. Virginians are, we're supposed to spend "our own" money on that!

Sorry, I know:
offtopic.gif

I'm on mine everyday. I take good care of it otherwise but I bought a high performance vehicle specifically to enjoy it. When it's worn beyond repair I'll buy another one
smile.gif

My contention is that as long as the engine and driveline are well warmed up, then short bursts to RedLine are not abusive. But let us look at this in context. If the engine and driveline are not well warmed up, then even 2/3rds throttle IS abusive; similarly, if the oil temperature is above 235dF then anything more than 2/3rds throttle is abusive. However, with the oil between 180dF and 215dF, a short quick burst up to RedLine at WOT is not abusive, at least until the oil temp gets above the aforementioned 235dF. Key words:: "short" "quick" "burst to RedLine".

Supporting data: I have a 1995 F355B that has 50K total miles and at least 4.3K of these miles has taken place on race tracks. This car is still running perfect. This car has never been run over 4000 RPMs until the oil is above 180dF, but afterwards, it gets the proverbial snot run out of it on the race track. Most of the lapping sessions are don in the heat of Texas summers (103dF).

"I have a 1995 F355B that has 50K total miles and at least 4.3K of these miles has taken place on race tracks."

4,300 miles at the track??? Typo right? That would be 17,200 1/4 mile runs. If you ran 1 quarter mile run a day 365 day's a year it would take over 47 years to get 17,200 runs total.

Quote:

"I have a 1995 F355B that has 50K total miles and at least 4.3K of these miles has taken place on race tracks."

4,300 miles at the track??? Typo right? That would be 17,200 1/4 mile runs. If you ran 1 quarter mile run a day 365 day's a year it would take over 47 years to get 17,200 runs total.

I think he's talking about a real race track.

I know some cars that have done over 43k track miles. Not sure which have done it on the same engine, though.

I've averaged about 10-12 track days/year, for the past ten years, in my 924S (same engine as 944).

Ten thousand miles, maybe 15k, but probably 90+% at WOT and lots of it at redline in 3d and 4th. I run with a crowd all with more hp than I make, some 4 times as much.

No big problems, the head has never been off. 130k or so total miles.

WOT could be abusive in the following scenario...

You buy a used car, previously driven by Grammy Jones who never took it above 1500 rpm (and that was by mistake!) for tens of thousands of miles. The top piston ring can create a wear ridge at the top of the travel of that piston ring.

Fast forward to you buying this car, and deciding to give it an Italian tuneup (love that term!). At higher rpms, the piston will travel further than it has gone before, simply due to elastic deformation of the piston rod and piston assembly having larger inertial loads (elastic deformation is reversible if you remove the loading).

Result: possible broken piston rings, or perhaps worse.

Solution: give your car the flogging it deserves at least once a week when fully warmed up. You should make a wear ramp as opposed to a wear ridge, and prevent future damage when you *have* to go WOT.

Me, I like to give my car an Italian tuneup once a week now... I used to do it every day
smile.gif
Miss that hill, don't miss that 1+ hour commute!

I rarely do it in my car because it so responsive at mid throttle. But I love to do WOT on my 15 year old BMW airhead twin. It's a blast to rev to redline from 5000 to redline which is 7000RPM in 4th or 5th gear. Bike is geared low and top speed is about 115 MPH. It still uses little if any oil and pulls hard, so I doubt is this is abusive as far as engine life is concerned. Now the driveline is another matter, as I have replaced the driveshaft at 42000 miles. Although I understand this is common on the GS models, at about this milage.

Never, cleans out any deposits(carbon or otherwise) although if you don't use pisswater for gas that shouldn't be a problem.

Just don't do what my friend does and redline it cold a lot.

It also lets you see if the car is really performing in top condition. Some problems only will manifest under full load and if you spend more time closer to idle you may never know untill you really need it one day.

TDI loves being pulled from idle to 4500...the Accent is more noise the go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back