Do you care if a vehicle's hood has a prop rod?

Yknow this got me thinking, and ironically my Ram has the best feeling steering of all the vehicles I’ve owned. It just feels good… plus if you’re out in snow or on gravel having some fun, as the rear end comes around it just wants to turn itself into the slide.
You likely have the good old unequal length upper and lower control arm front suspension and a perimeter frame. Maybe even a 4 link solid rear axle. Shades of vintage GM A-body that we all respect - but modified with high located upper arm ala Honda Accord ULCA. Very good indeed, but not the fantastic vintage GM B/C body front end which includes a Brake Reaction Rod that REALLY locates the LCA under stress.

GM B-Body Front End

65-70-impala-bel-air-biscayne.jpg

You likely have the good old unequal length upper and lower control arm front suspension and a perimeter frame. Maybe even a 4 link solid rear axle. Shades of vintage GM A-body that we all respect - but modified with high located upper arm ala Honda Accord ULCA. Very good indeed, but not the fantastic vintage GM B/C body front end which includes a Brake Reaction Rod that REALLY locates the LCA under stress.

GM B-Body Front End

View attachment 141278
5 link solid rear axle, double wishbone front on the 4th gen Ram. Best handling truck I’ve driven.
93AB5AFE-3F0A-4D74-BFE6-7D28421BB82D.jpeg

0F911CB5-D28B-41A8-990B-83F7BA6231AC.jpeg

Prop rod is fine with me. E 28 s had hood strut and torsion rods out back. E-28 hinges were triple acting and once they started binding from lack of use, it was a 45 minute job to 'exercise' one back to working properly using a squirt can of oil . Camrys have struts and just like evrything else on them.. So far, so good. :cool:

I grew up with the so-called pop rods. The struts do allow a little bit more clearance when working under the hood. I know when I had to replace them on my sons VW, it took me a while to find the right size. These days it doesn’t matter much to me either way. 🤷‍♂️

Still prefer gas struts. At rockauto aftermarket prices, not OE. $8.84 ea for the hood (Strongarm), $9.28 each for the trunk (FCS). Lexus LS. Like the way each lid goes all the way up on their own when struts are new. How long do they last? Last set 7 years. Can’t really complain about that too badly

As others have said, struts can wear out then you need a prop to hold up the hood until the struts are replaced.
I like Hondas with the 2 sets of prop hole locations. The rear most location enables a near vertical hood.
That’s a good point. My trunk is literally vertical when opened. Not the hood, though. The trunk opening imho is much wider when using struts as no hinges nor spring rod.

Seems many here are utilitarian. A gas strut does little, if anything, more than a prop rod.

It made me think of a conversation I had with my buddy in 2005. I said my next car “must” have led tails. His response: “When was the last time you drove behind your own car?”

Well, that next car really didn’t have led tails like I wanted (‘07 335i).

My ‘06 purchased in 2016 has them, and I never even think about it, even if I am driving behind it following my wife. 😊

Gas struts. On our Focus I actually swapped in an aftermarket strut kit and tosses the econo-car prop rod in the recycling bin. All six of our fleet have struts.

Gas struts. On our Focus I actually swapped in an aftermarket strut kit and tosses the econo-car prop rod in the recycling bin. All six of our fleet have struts.
Me too. I know I’m in the minority. Why should a Golf R or Grand Highlander buyer allow the mfg to save money by using a prop rod is me…

But the sheer aftermarket pricing makes me all in. Sure if they were $150.96 ea like a Toyota list price for a Tokico, that’s dumb. $400 at the dealer to replace? But as mentioned strong arm < $9 each at rock.

Since mfg does use tokico etc they save a real $70 mfg cost eliminating them for the rod

I had a terrible problem with the prop rod on our TSX. The plastic clamp that secures it next ro the radiator broke after many years and heat cycles. I got a few from Amazon for next to nothing. Disaster averted.

I like struts but many people never replace the hood struts so struts are better if you keep them working.

Honda does a good job with the prop rod in the corner of the hood instead of front and center. Vw puts their prop rod kinda in the way on the 2015 Jettas

2023 Civic Touring Sedan, 2-position prop rod on hood, trunk has gas struts that open the trunk when released, I like that arrangement. If the struts fail, I've got 8yr 120k Hondacare that will take care of it.
Wife's 2020 CRV, single position prop rod, power lift gate in the rear, also covered by Hondacare.
I remember when hoods and trunks had springs to hold them open, but I'm old.

I prefer the struts, but I've been working on a car when the wind managed to pick up the hood and the prop rod hook slid at the right angle to flip the rod out the front of the car and slam the hood on it, denting the edge of the hood and catching the top of my head on the way down.

That alone is why if I end up with a vehicle that has a prop rod I'll go through the trouble of converting it. The new GTI does not have struts, but there's a kit for it. My 2018 has hood struts factory.

Back