Do you agree with this statement?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You just can't see all the [censored] the green stuff leaves behind because it's at the bottom of the radiator. When you replace the radiator, however, you'll see it.

I still say that just refilling the radiator and resovoir with OEM premixed stuff each year is the best way to go!By best I mean it almost asures that you will never have a problem related to neglecting the coolant.You will more then likely never have to flush the system or use any harsh additives or take the rad to a shop etc.....It just seems to easy not to do it this way!

Ok, this subject has been beaten like a dead horse, but I'll add my $.02 anyway.
For what its worth. Years ago, I was going to car auctions pretty regular. The first few run-ins I had with dexcool - was that I saw this muddy looking stuff in the overflow bottle of some of the cars I was looking at. It looked terrible. As I continued to find these cars with this "STUFF" in them, eventually I figured out that it was dexcool. Now obviously I do not know the service history on any of them. But I saw enough cars that looked the same way, to say to myself - I'm not using dexcool in any of my cars!

I'm pretty sure that most problems with Dexcool are due to people topping off with incompatible coolant of a different type.

Originally Posted By: brianl703
You just can't see all the [censored] the green stuff leaves behind because it's at the bottom of the radiator. When you replace the radiator, however, you'll see it.

I have one car that's 18 years old with conventional green antifreeze. The only coolant that's been replaced is what I lost when I changed a thermostat. Other than that single part the cooling system is 100% original

No overheating problems, no radiator clogging problems.

So what advantage would one of the newer coolants have been to me?

And JB, you're right. Draining the radiator and refilling yearly is probably a good way to prevent problems.

But why bother with Dexcool if you're doing that? Other than supposed longer life, what advantage does it have?

I just don't see any to warrant the risk of potential problems with it...

Originally Posted By: jsharp

I have one car that's 18 years old with conventional green antifreeze. The only coolant that's been replaced is what I lost when I changed a thermostat. Other than that single part the cooling system is 100% original

You've only changed the coolant once on this 18 year old car or did I mis-understand your post?

In any case, the crud buildup you can't see and won't see unless you pull the radiator and look.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
You want to improve the environment, just cut the number of cars in half. What of the environmental impact of stamping, casting, machining, and assembling hundreds of thousands of new units annually?

Whoa there fellow consumer! Let's ease up on the commie talk! None of us wants to give up our dear cars...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back