Do we have any auto glass pros on the board?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm in the midst of a windshield replacement situation and am looking for some advice.

It seems like I can't find a shop locally that is willing to do the job in a very calculated and non-invasive manner. My first attempt using a shop that is well reviewed online ended up with debris on the dashboard, tons of scratches on the paint, and subpar quality glass (despite me telling them I wanted to pay extra for Pilkington). They even managed to scratch the VIN plate which has me furious.

Maybe I'm just trying to get some perspective on whether I'm being a micro-managing spaz about this, or if there are glass installers who will listen to my concerns and then do a good install.

I found these two sites

Other than that, only someone in your area would know who is good. There is always Safelite, who will install an OEM windshield upon request. That said, they mostly use Fuyao now, and Fuyao windshields are good quality. In fact, they are now an OE supplier.

The best glass shop in my area has no online presence

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog

What makes them the best?

That said, they mostly use Fuyao now, and Fuyao windshields are good quality. In fact, they are now an OE supplier.

Disagree. Had Fuyao glass put in the previous '16 Silverado and the '14 RAV and both have visible distortions. Traded the Silverado and not letting the glass shop touch the RAV, wasn't happy with their work at all much less the glass. OEM only in the future for me. Some people aren't sensitive to distortions, I am.

Have you checked with dealers to see who they use? Just pick some dealers and ask for parts and ask them who they sublet their glass installs to. The vendors have to come to parts for the purchase order so they will know.

Years ago, when I needed body and windshield service, I went to the local Lexus, MB, and BMW dealers asking who they used (I didn't own any of those brands). They all said the same place. That's been my only go to place.

Always paid with insurance. The most expensive place probably but my state allows choice regardless.

Originally Posted by Reddy45
Maybe I'm just trying to get some perspective on whether I'm being a micro-managing spaz about this, or if there are glass installers who will listen to my concerns and then do a good install.

Don't worry, you're in good company here on BITOG, where we all micro-manage our vehicle maintenance!

Seriously, you should have not had that bad experience, and I would be demanding a refund if I did. Getting high end dealer referrals such as bdcardinal suggested is a good idea. I wouldn't get a referral from a used car lot as they probably go by lowest price alone.

When I recently had my pickup windshield done, my insurance company connected me to Safelite who handles their glass claims, and they tried to schedule me immediately. I told them I wanted another shop and they let me arrange that myself. My local shop could still bill my insurance company. They came to my place and I inspected the new windshield before it was installed so there was no problems with ripple or other distortion.

I had my garage cleared out and they could pull their van in beside my pickup and swing-arm the glass over. They were very happy with that arrangement because a thunderboomer rolled through while they were working and they could just keep on going. I also parked the truck inside the night before so it was perfectly dry, no morning dew or overnight rain on it (it usually lives outside and our daily drivers inside).

So I would recommend choosing a service that comes to you, and you can sit and chat with them while they work. You'll get the best level of service that way. I also pumped them for info on what they thought were the best garages, tire and specialty services in the area, got lots of good information. One of the guys was a former Dakota owner, so we had lots to commiserate on.

They even managed to scratch the VIN plate which has me furious.

No excuse for that. I'm not in the business but have learned it myself and have replaced probably 2 dozen windshields and backglasses in the last 10-15 years. The problem is most volume shops use some form of knife to remove the glass, either a cold knife or a powered tool, both of which can scratch up the window opening. I use a cord based removal system which won't scratch anything. I have the WRD Spider. It may take a few minutes longer to remove the glass but it's much cleaner than any knife system. Maybe ask if they too use a cord removal tool to get the window out.

Pilkington has an online site to find an installer, I think its glasssearch.com or similar. PYG is also a good name.

Originally Posted by AZjeff
Had Fuyao glass put in the previous '16 Silverado and the '14 RAV and both have visible distortions. Traded the Silverado and not letting the glass shop touch the RAV, wasn't happy with their work at all much less the glass. OEM only in the future for me. Some people aren't sensitive to distortions, I am.

Your next car might come with a Fuyao windshield from the factory
banana2.gif

What makes them the best?

Good service, good glass, good install
smile.gif

Originally Posted by bdcardinal
Have you checked with dealers to see who they use? Just pick some dealers and ask for parts and ask them who they sublet their glass installs to. The vendors have to come to parts for the purchase order so they will know.

Originally Posted by user52165
Years ago, when I needed body and windshield service, I went to the local Lexus, MB, and BMW dealers asking who they used (I didn't own any of those brands). They all said the same place. That's been my only go to place.

01.gif

Safelite (at least the ones I have seen, which is quite a few) uses a cord based removal tool. If you use a good glass they are pretty consistent... I would say.

In the very recent Safelight thread I had this to share:
Following up on slacktide_bitog's comments, the auto glass industry has turned upside down over the past five years like you wouldn't believe. The Chinese have stepped up their game exponentially, with Fuyao establishing the world's largest factory in Ohio. Having lurked on one or two professional auto glass forums, those guys claim that even companies like Pilkington and PPG are now out sourcing some of their product to Asian manufactures. No guarantees anymore based on brand name. (Similar to MOOG, Timken, etc.) Vehicles with cameras/sensors for assisted braking, lane detection, etc. require special calibration after windshield replacement. Some vehicles can have over a dozen different windshield variations for a single model.

I don't know if things have changed, but a few years ago on the auto glass forums Safelight was held in very low regard. Complaints revolved around the company's emphasis on profit vs. quality to the point of disgruntled employees and inferior products. I.E., a mobile guy given too many jobs in a day to do them with care. Again, now that they don't make their own glass, maybe things have changed.

The outcome is only as good as the person doing the work. Finding a shop with competent installers is like picking a surgeon for a major surgery. It is nearly impossible to critique them. I recently learned this by experience. I had to return to the shop and have some work redone due to the carelessness of the installer - damaged paint (rust). This, after spending considerable time comparing shops. The dealers I called didn't even do glass work. They call in a mobile guy, let him do the work, and then increase the invoice to reflect "dealer expertise". My bias is that leaving the vehicle at the shop is better than a mobile install. The shop has a more controlled environment and the installers are not on a time schedule like the mobile guy. I also prefer a small independent shop where I can talk with the installer to express my concerns. But, many independent shops are getting sucked up by chains, just like what happened to parts stores. Still, I had problems with my last install.....sigh.

Be prepared to pay substantially more for glass labeled by the auto manufacturer....$300 - $500 more in my instance.

Some more unsolicited advice, LOL. Re-read my post above. It's tough to judge the quality of the guy doing the work. Think about how many windshields these guys install every week, every year. It's not unlike tire installers and we read all the time about nice wheels getting damaged. You can visit the shop and attempt to judge the quality of the installers. I really prefer the old school shops. Unlike dealers where you talk to a service advisor and never have any contact with the surgeon,errrr mechanic, I prefer a place where I can talk personally with the technician. Introduce yourself. Ask him if your model has any particular challenges. Develop a professional rapport with him, showing him respect. A good technician will appreciate your attitude and "might" give your installation just a tiny bit more care than the other 1,000 windshields he has done. Maybe. It's a delicate fence walk. You don't want to enter that area of being a dificult, high maintenance customer either.

On my last windshield install I just dropped it off and let them do their thing. Coincidence or whatever, the guy that installed my last glass must have had a hangover or was a real rookie. Good luck. Please follow up with your results!

my last installer dude had a religious symbol around this neck on a gold chain and lots of tattoos. he brought bronze color tint rather than gray

Last edited:
Well, about 2/3rds of this post is non-sequitur.

Originally Posted by edwardh1
my last installer dude had a religious symbol around this neck on a gold chain and lots of tattoos. he brought bronze color tint rather than gray

Your next car might come with a Fuyao windshield from the factory
banana2.gif

It might. I've never seen easily noticeable distortion in an OEM windshield. Convinced Fuyao has OEM quality and aftermarket quality product.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back