Do people actually purchase new BMW's?

Originally Posted by andreigbs
there are tons of stupid, ignorant, unskilled drivers that occupy many different car brands. There must be more of them in Illinois than normal. Bashing a car brand instead of the idiot in it is pointless.
Nope, Texas has Illinois beat.
For more than 20 years Texas was not road testing new drivers before issuing driver's licenses. In addition, a new driver did not have to take any kind of professional behind-the-wheel driver's education. Texas allowed parents (many of whom don't know how to drive) to teach their children to drive, and then vouch for their driving capability, which allowed them to get a driver's license without being tested (like any doting parent is going to deny giving their spoiled kids a driver's license, regardless of whether or not they can actually drive). As a result of this insanity we have a whole generation of drivers who literally don't know how to drive. Texas eventually learned the error in their ways and now requires behind-the-wheel testing before issuing driver's licenses, and they also require behind-the-wheel driver's education if the new drivers are minors.

I'm
Originally Posted by OVERKILL

Yup, by far the worst I've seen are minivan and brodozer drivers
21.gif

If I had a nickel for every time a brodozer driver wanted to race my MS3 or my M235i I could pay cash for a new Alpina B7.

Originally Posted by MCompact
I'm

21.gif

If I had a nickel for every time a brodozer driver wanted to race my MS3 or my M235i I could pay cash for a new Alpina B7.

It's nuts! I get them all the time in the Jeep, got them even more frequently in the Charger and M5
21.gif

Originally Posted by wag123
Nope, Texas has Illinois beat.
For more than 20 years Texas was not road testing new drivers before issuing driver's licenses. In addition, a new driver did not have to take any kind of professional behind-the-wheel driver's education. Texas allowed parents (many of whom don't know how to drive) to teach their children to drive, and then vouch for their driving capability, which allowed them to get a driver's license without being tested (like any doting parent is going to deny giving their spoiled kids a driver's license, regardless of whether or not they can actually drive). As a result of this insanity we have a whole generation of drivers who literally don't know how to drive. Texas eventually learned the error in their ways and now requires behind-the-wheel testing before issuing driver's licenses, and they also require behind-the-wheel driver's education if the new drivers are minors.

I feel your pain. Suffice it to say that Illannoy is a "Sanctuary state" and many of the idiots on the road are undocumented in more ways than one. That, and many are without even basic liability insurance! The insanity that's largely $hitcago-driven is mainly why we've moved OUT of the state, even though I still drive in/out for work (downtown).

Last edited:
Originally Posted by gofast182
^ I leased the M340i but we purchased my wife's new X5 last year (did a thread on that one, too).

There are a some idiotic responses based on old stereotypes in this thread, again, likely some of whom have little to no first-hand experience with BMW.

In my experience many Nissan Maxima owners drive like tools, so do many people who drive large pickup trucks. What of that? I use my turn signal all the time.
wink.gif

21.gif

Jetta driver's used to be POS as well.

I feel your pain. Suffice it to say that Illannoy is a "Sanctuary state" and many of the idiots on the road are undocumented in more ways than one. That, and many are without even basic liability insurance! The insanity that's largely $hitcago-driven is mainly why we've moved OUT of the state, even though I still drive in/out for work (downtown).

That goes for any highway that's close to an urban center. Whilst I've noticed WI drivers aren't as aggressive as IL drivers are, I've noticed they like to hog up the passing lane and drive with their brights on moreso than IL. CA and FL drivers are by far, some of the worst I've ever encountered though.

Originally Posted by gofast182

There are a some idiotic responses based on old stereotypes in this thread, again, likely some of whom have little to no first-hand experience with BMW.

Based on personal experience, I would say that roughly 50% of drivers shouldn't be driving, and those 50 % of drivers seem to be in pretty much every brand out there.

People notice the jerks in BMW's etc. MORE because the cars usually look nice, catch your eye, and then the driver does something stupid ... and you remember THE CAR.

You tend to forget the stupid soccer mom driving her SUV after she does something silly. You just blame the driver, because you really couldn't tell what brand of white SUV she was driving ...

Originally Posted by MCompact
Originally Posted by PimTac

You have to drive it different? Like doing 130 down the Interstate

Well, in 1983 I did cross Pennsylvania averaging close to 100 mph in my Bavaria 3.0-on a dreary and rainy Sunday morning.
Even the Clubman will sneak up to three digit speeds if you don't watch it.

Well that doesn't break the recent cannonball record which was done in a Mercedes E63 AMG at an average speed of 103mph across the US including stops.

Interesting question. I actually haven't been to BMW's website in ages. I know my parents' friends mostly lease their Bimmers but that's not really a big sample size. In my area, I assumed it was something like 60% or so that lease. Again, not too sure. Edmunds said 58% of BMW customers leased in 2016.

From the website as of January 2020, the new 5-series and X5 looks like compelling buys. X7 also looks real cool to me, but I'm definitely not in their target market segment.

WTH is the 2 series gran coupe? Haven't seen that on the roads yet, either here in the DC area or while I'm in graduate school in London, England.

Kinda off-topic, but my strongest itch is for the E30 M3 and the E28 M5. I'd love to have those in my garage. Maybe someday when I can afford to expand my weekend car hobby beyond my Mercedes 190E 16-valve.

I guess nobody read gofast182's thread on picking up his new M340i?

Yes, people buy new BMWs all the time. How else do you think anybody finds them for sale as CPOs, or otherwise previously used?

BTW, many of them are people who can properly afford them AND care about the car AND maintain it, AND they know how to drive it properly.

I don't get the Bimmer bashings here...

Not scientific, but....
I know a lotta BMW owners; none of them work on them. Even a simple oil service.
And when you get into the pricier models, it is even worse.
I am sure some do; I just don't hear about it.

The same could be said of the Prius drivers...
Except, of course, our friend The Critic. All good.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Not scientific, but....
I know a lotta BMW owners; none of them work on them. Even a simple oil service.

Why bother when all maintenance on a new BMW is covered/included?

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
I guess nobody read gofast182's thread on picking up his new M340i?

Yes, people buy new BMWs all the time. How else do you think anybody finds them for sale as CPOs, or otherwise previously used?

BTW, many of them are people who can properly afford them AND care about the car AND maintain it, AND they know how to drive it properly.

I don't get the Bimmer bashings here...

Not scientific, but....
And when you get into the pricier models, it is even worse.
I am sure some do; I just don't hear about it.

The same could be said of the Prius drivers...
Except, of course, our friend The Critic. All good.

That's probably true of the general population. Lots of people here even take their Toyota's or Honda's to the dealer. They're probably on the BMW forums though. As others said, when they're new, it's all under warranty so no need to do any work to it. Once they're out of warranty, that's when people start doing their own work to it.

Originally Posted by Pew

That goes for any highway that's close to an urban center. Whilst I've noticed WI drivers aren't as aggressive as IL drivers are, I've noticed they like to hog up the passing lane and drive with their brights on moreso than IL. CA and FL drivers are by far, some of the worst I've ever encountered though.

I actually enjoy driving in Chicago etc. People do not have time for kidding around. far better than here where driver on STOP sign waits jogger that is 200ft away. Jogger waves to driver to go, but no. School pick ups, where everyone wants not to park in front of entrance to school, but if they could somehow enter classroom with their Tahoe or Excursion they would. Chicago is nothing comapred to typical American suburbia.

Last edited:
I guess I don't fit the typical BMW mold. I special ordered my 2003 E46 330Ci from the factory (no sunroof). I took possession in Feb 2003. Aside from the smog test guy, my handpicked alignment shop, and the airbag recall, another set of hands have not touched it.

Here it is in its glory. Looks brand new, eh? It's got 91k miles on it! So, I've had the car for 17 years - and I work on it. Weird.

Scott

PS Yes, I wash the undercarriage. I hand wash it!

E46 Tint Oct 2019.jpeg

IMG_1810.jpg

IMG_1812.jpg

IMG_1814.jpg

IMG_2802.jpeg

IMG_1849.jpg

IMG_2798.jpeg

Originally Posted by SLO_Town
I guess I don't fit the typical BMW mold. I special ordered my 2003 E46 330Ci from the factory (no sunroof). I took possession in Feb 2003. Aside from the smog test guy, my handpicked alignment shop, and the airbag recall, another set of hands have not touched it.

Here it is in its glory. Looks brand new, eh? It's got 91k miles on it! So, I've had the car for 17 years - and I work on it. Weird.

Scott

You can sell that here for $15K easily.

Scott

I knew a guy who would Zaino the undercharge of his E46/E92 M3.

Nice ride and rims
thumbsup2.gif

Steel braided brake lines are a nice touch.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Pew

Scott

His is ZHP, in that condition, if possible to find in that condition, will not go below $25k.

Originally Posted by edyvw
Originally Posted by Pew

Scott

His is ZHP, in that condition, if possible to find in that condition, will not go below $25k.

FYI..It's a regular E46. ZHP for coupe wasn't available until 2004 (MY05?). Still this is a nice specimen ZHP or not..

Originally Posted by edyvw
Originally Posted by Pew

Scott

Guess someone should jump on this one for $17K with less miles, 3 years newer, then. Autotrader has more, for cheaper, too, and in great shape (not detailed undercarriages...that's an exclusive, lol!) It's a real ZHP, too.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=530176676&zip=64856&referrer=%2Fcars-for-sale%2Fsearchresults.xhtml%3Fzip%3D64856%26listingTypes%3DUSED%26sortBy%3Drelevance%26incremental%3Dall%26firstRecord%3D0%26marketExtension%3Doff%26modelCodeList%3D330CI%26makeCodeList%3DBMW%26searchRadius%3D0&listingTypes=USED&numRecords=25&firstRecord=0&modelCodeList=330CI&makeCodeList=BMW&searchRadius=0&makeCode1=BMW&modelCode1=330CI&clickType=listing

Last edited:
Back