New Honda Accord Hybrid

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the turning issue will all depend on what you're used to. I came from an '01 Impreza and my wife has an '02 Corolla and both turn on a dime. Parking either is a breeze. The Accord always needs some extra adjusting once I'm in a space because I can never pull in at the angle I want to (or am used to). It just feels a lot bigger than it is. That's great when driving it, not so much when parking it. The 18" wheels on the Sport probably aren't helping the radius, I'm sure.

I've not taken it back to the dealer yet in the 7 months I've had it. I would assume they would do something for me like at least replace the mat(s) but I don't know what they could offer regarding the seat. I'm not a small guy so I'm sure my size and weight are the main problem, but nobody should see this level of wear on a car this soon. It's had these issues since only maybe month 3 which is pretty disappointing.

I'm curious about other hybrids such as Camry, Sonata, Fusion ... Did you test drive any other hybrid before settle on Accord ?

Black exterior is beautiful when it is clean, but after 2-3 weeks without wash it is not very nice looking.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Black exterior is beautiful when it is clean, but after 2-3 weeks without wash it is not very nice looking.

On the east coast, it's after 2-3 hours.
smile.gif

Really ?

In So Cal, black color cars are looking very good after wash up to 10-15 days, on 3rd week it started to look not so nice. My silver cars are looking okay up to 5-6 weeks or 2 months.

I'm curious about other hybrids such as Camry, Sonata, Fusion ... Did you test drive any other hybrid before settle on Accord ?

Nope, didn't care/need to. My parents have a Prius, but this buy, like the van, was kind of on a whim, crossed with an "I'd like a hybrid someday" coupled with asking about one on a whim and being offered surprisingly good deals.

A friend has a fusion hybrid, nice car, but the accord is rated highly and seems to be decently producing while some others don't (eg his doesn't return EPA rated mileage, though it's close and surely driver dependent). Camry cars are too soft and drive like boats.

Didnt even think about the sonata, not for any reason, rather just not on my radar.

The accord more or less sold itself when my tall wife could sit in the back seat, behind me, and have an inch or two of room. Not possible in the vw, Saab or 318.

I didn't mean to say that Accord Hybrid is not as good as other hybrids. I was just curious of your purchase, most people tested drive several different makes and bought the one they liked best.

If I was in market for a mid-size hybrid I probably would buy the Accord too, but as of now I will wait for Tesla Model 3 and probably buy one in 2017.

I didn't mean to say that Accord Hybrid is not as good as other hybrids. I was just curious of your purchase, most people tested drive several different makes and bought the one they liked best.

If I was in market for a mid-size hybrid I probably would buy the Accord too, but as of now I will wait for Tesla Model 3 and probably buy one in 2017.

I didn't take your comments one way or another. Reality was I had good working cars, but liked the lines and driving feel of the accord, and with the deal offered was sold.

It wasn't really a vehicle I put a lot of due diligence into, but I also was fairly aware of the playing field (though I didn't test drive them to compare).

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Nice Accord, I would be just a tiny bit worried about reliably 10 years from now compared to 4 cylinder Accord LX.

Except that where I live, all the hybrid equipment is warrantied 15yr/150k. Having recently taken an accord LX as an uber, it was pretty obvious that most of the rest of the car is the same (the hybrid is outfit with nicer cloth, some trim elements, and different gauges, but hvac controls, infotainment, etc is the same), so the statistics on reliability outside the drivetrain should be identical.

If I wanted a 4 cyl, MT sedan, I'd have kept my Saab, which I did love. The interesting determinant was a hybrid well below invoice price.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Very nice car and mileage, but you don't need a bigger trunk at times?

I did that analysis. My routine travel has been in my 318i, which has a 12 cu ft trunk.

The HAH does have a smaller trunk due to the battery placement, but it's still the same size as my BMW. And the back seat is way, way larger than the 318 or Saab, so utility still goes way up.

Yesterday I drove a Prius both in highway and city (NYC) traffic. New model, privately owned,
All I can say now is that the HAH is best of breed. Ok someone can argue, as they did above, that the Camry hybrid, sonata hybrid and others aren't considered. Sorry. But the Prius is the standard for hybrid cars sold, and it's a real data point.

Keep in mind that the owners of this Prius routinely log over 60 MPG in it, so it's a very efficient machine; thing is, it has nowhere near the feel, driving dynamics or performance. Sure, the Prius clocks 10.1s 0-60 while the HAH clocks in at 7.1s, but it's more than that. There really is a substantial difference in throttle response, engine response and willingness to put power down that the drivability, especially with a few people in it, is substantially better in the accord. And remember, I keep and LOVE 30+ year old Mercedes diesel cars with hp and torque ratings in the double digits. So I know slow cars. But the Prius is a different kind of slow. A 240d is slow but willing, a Prius is slow and not. The HAH couldn't care less and just goes at will.

Another thing that bugged me on the Prius was regeneration. The HAH coasts MUCH better, and transitions into a regent mode at a higher level more readily. To the prius's compliment, the transition of states in the Prius drivetrain is far more seamless than in the accord. In the Accord, I'd describe it as the feel of a smooth auto teams shifting gears, just without the engine dynamics associated. It's really just a nearly unnoticeable bump, but you're aware something happened. In the Prius it's absolutely smooth and seamless.

We had a big piece of luggage, and a bob stroller (decently bulky for those in the know). It all fit in the Prius hatch, and I didn't test in the accord, but I wasn't totally impressed with the hatch volume. I suspect that if I had a Lexus RX hybrid, which was always a car I thought would be desirable, I'd say the same thing due to the glass shape, so it's all neither here nor there.

What I can say is that while I'm sure the Prius will do better on gas, and I'm sure I'd coax high mpgs out of it, I'm very glad that I got the accord vs a Prius.

You can run the Google machine as well as I can.

I can say that my parents for the Prius and I for the Accord, both paid well under invoice.

End of day, price doesn't matter really, I drove the Prius, the most popular, gold standard hybrid, and found the Accord totally more agreeable. YMMV.

I didn't arguing about Accord hybrid with other mid-size sedan hybrids, I wondered if you test drove other mid-size sedan hybrids before bought Accord hybrid. I would like to learn the pro and con of various mid-size sedan hybrids, that's all.
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Yesterday I drove a Prius both in highway and city (NYC) traffic. New model, privately owned,
All I can say now is that the HAH is best of breed. Ok someone can argue, as they did above, that the Camry hybrid, sonata hybrid and others aren't considered. Sorry. But the Prius is the standard for hybrid cars sold, and it's a real data point.

You may think Prius is the standard hybrid to compare all other hybrids, but I think it isn't right to compare it with .

Prius is a low cost hybrid for drivers who like to get the most MPG, performance/handling are not their concern in owning it.

Accord hybrid is much different with Prius in almost everything, the only common between the two is "Hybrid". The valid comparison is Accord with Camry, Fusion, Sonata ... They all are mid-size 4-dr sedan hybrid.

My BIL has 2013-2014 Prius, I rode in it for few medium trips of 60-100 miles. The interior feels cheap, the performance/handling is about the same as '90 Hyundai Excel. The only things that Prius are better than Accord hybrid are MPG and price, and Toyota is better in marketing/promoting Prius than Honda in Accord hybrid, that why Prius is the sale leader of hybrid vehicles.

You may think Prius is the standard hybrid to compare all other hybrids, but I think it isn't right to compare it with .

Prius is a low cost hybrid for drivers who like to get the most MPG, performance/handling are not their concern in owning it.

Accord hybrid is much different with Prius in almost everything, the only common between the two is "Hybrid". The valid comparison is Accord with Camry, Fusion, Sonata ... They all are mid-size 4-dr sedan hybrid.

I agree with this. A 2015 Accord Hybrid's curb weight is about 3,600 pounds -- pretty substantial for a sedan. In comparison, a 2015 Prius' curb weight is about 3,000 pounds. Even a Prius V is only 3,300 pounds. The Prius seems to me to be aimed at a different consumer than the Accord Hybrid. Honda's ill-received answer to the Prius was the Insight (2,700 pound curb weight).

I've owned a number of types of vehicles in my lifetime, including sedans, minivans, trucks, and now a SUVvansedantruck hybrid thing, and the one attribute that pretty consistently predicts how "solid" or "grown up" a car feels, at least to my butt ride-o-meter, is curb weight. Regardless of chassis/damper tuning, curb weight goes a long way towards attenuating noise and vibration and harshness out of a vehicle.

And, too, besides the weight difference...a Honda Accord Hybrid starts at about $30,000 MSRP (compared with the Prius' sub-$25k starting price), so I wager that there's a lot missing in the Prius compared with the Accord (things like acoustical glass, sound deadening materials, various chassis refinements, etc).

How in the world somebody can get away with comparing Prius with Accord and saying Accord beats it? Sorry but if somebody makes invalid comparison, expect to get called out on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back