Do-it-yourself window tint

Status
Not open for further replies.
1996 Chevy Lumina. Bedford, VA. I am coming out from Lynchburg tomorrow. Im also moving soon up close to Boston MA, so perhaps I will update it in time when that happens in the meantime its fine. Now, back on point.. 1996 Chevy Lumina and we are taking it to the legal limit, Craigslist type deal (I know I should be scared.)

Now, from what I remember about this.. It is:

*Cut Hefty bag, tape to interior.
1. Clean the INSIDE of the windows with Ammonia free window cleaner. Dry well.
2. Spray the proprietary window solution onto the unrolled window film, I believe they selected 25% tints, so 75% of light is visible. Spray liberally.
3. Stick film on window then squeegee down and out from the top.
4. Take the X-acto knife and cut with some left, then cut more closer when its dry.
5. Possibly do this in the evening. Its soupy humid out here (again.)

And please forget the W126, that was an Eastern CT car and I decided not to mess with it. Around the North CT/MA border area. Not going to mess with it.

Anything else I should know about being paid for my squeegee assistance for a window tint ?

There are some youtube vid on tinting. Tintguys had some good vids, that was their username on yt. I paid $80 shipped for 100 ft of 35% and 100 ft of 5% off cpcrown ebay.

tinted back window with a bubble in the middle---sir mix alot
grin.gif

Shall I also advise them to not do this in the heat of the day? What about the time to dry? Tips from pros are always great.

FWIW when I did this on my old Honda I used a Black Magic tint kit and dark tints and it came out well. A wet app, ammonia free, all the way.

Usually you clean both the interior and exterior of the window, and shape the piece of tint on the exterior (and heat shrink if necessary). Then, you'll take the piece of tint to a workbench with a piece of glass to finish trimming any corners.

Only at that point do you pull the door panel and squeegee the film.

Now if you can get it this good, then you're a pro
grin.gif

c19.jpg

http://www.luxury4play.com/mbz/107445-2013-brabus-cls63-photosync-nano-tint-2.html

After doing some simple DIY window tint on a patio door and window, I'll leave my car to the pros. Those were flat windows, and I still mucked up the installation in spots. Not worth it to DIY on a window needed for safely seeing a very dynamic environment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back