any reason not to use glass cleaner with ammonia if i don't have tinted windows?

Joined
Jul 14, 2020
Messages
531
i have been using sprayway glass cleaner for a while. while it works well for side windows, for the inside windshield it does seem to leave residue. i am thinking of getting some cleaner with ammonia .

non of my vehicles have aftermarket tinted windows so any good reason not to use a cleaner with ammonia?
 
Joined
Jun 3, 2012
Messages
1,283
Location
Bremerton, WA
The residue on the windshield is not from the cleaner. It's dirt and grime left over from an incomplete cleaning. It's from the vents and passengers breathing.

You have to clean the window multiple times with a good microfiber cloth. I have never been able to get a windshield clean in one pass with any cloth or any cleaner.

To answer your question, no. It won't harm the glass but it will smell terrible and overspray will damage interior pieces.

Professional, million-dollar detailers use ammonia free glass cleaner.
 
Joined
Jul 13, 2020
Messages
269
Location
San Diego County
The residue on the windshield is not from the cleaner. It's dirt and grime left over from an incomplete cleaning. It's from the vents and passengers breathing.

You have to clean the window multiple times with a good microfiber cloth. I have never been able to get a windshield clean in one pass with any cloth or any cleaner.

To answer your question, no. It won't harm the glass but it will smell terrible and overspray will damage interior pieces.

Professional, million-dollar detailers use ammonia free glass cleaner.
+1 This.

Use a new microfiber cloth. Never washed, new. Residue from washing and especially fabric softener and drying sheets are a no-no.

I even clay it inside and out and wax with Collinite 845. Once done this way it is easy to keep clean.
 
Joined
Oct 7, 2013
Messages
22
Location
Illinois, USA
i have been using sprayway glass cleaner for a while. while it works well for side windows, for the inside windshield it does seem to leave residue. i am thinking of getting some cleaner with ammonia .

non of my vehicles have aftermarket tinted windows so any good reason not to use a cleaner with ammonia?
Glass cleaner is a mixture of water and alchohol. If you get any streaks it is either from the dye in the cleaner or incomplete removal. The absolutely best way to clean Glass is with crumpled up newspaper AFTER you get all the grime off with a cleaner and a towel. Try it, you will never use anything else again.
 
Joined
Oct 1, 2002
Messages
3,729
Location
North TX
i have been using sprayway glass cleaner for a while. while it works well for side windows, for the inside windshield it does seem to leave residue. i am thinking of getting some cleaner with ammonia .

non of my vehicles have aftermarket tinted windows so any good reason not to use a cleaner with ammonia?
No there is not. My preference is Sprayway foaming glass cleaner which is ammonia free but there's nothing wrong with Windex in your case.
 
Joined
May 4, 2017
Messages
469
Location
VA
I make my own glass cleaner:
- 60% water
- 20% alcohol (either 70% or 90%)
- 20% distilled vinegar
- 8 to 10 drops of Dawn in a 2 liter container.

I add a bit more alcohol for the winter. Zero streaking.
 
Joined
May 25, 2005
Messages
14,930
Location
ROCHESTER, NY
I make my own glass cleaner:
- 60% water
- 20% alcohol (either 70% or 90%)
- 20% distilled vinegar
- 8 to 10 drops of Dawn in a 2 liter container.

I add a bit more alcohol for the winter. Zero streaking.
:unsure: Hmmm very interesting, I’ll have to try it.
Did you create the formula or is it from someone else such as on Pinterest or YouTube?
 
Joined
Jan 13, 2016
Messages
3,489
Location
Northeast Nebraska
The main reason for me would be the fumes, don't want to be breathing ammonia. Don't think it's good for rubber or plastic either.

As others have said it may take two or three times to get it clean. I also have a small squeegee/scrubber I use the works all but in the corners.

Sprayway at wally is not very expensive and works just as good as Invisible Glass.
 
Joined
Apr 12, 2009
Messages
2,494
Location
Maryland
I used Windex on the inside of my windshield on a hot day. The ammonia in it left behind permanent stains.
 

Pew

Joined
Mar 12, 2018
Messages
2,254
Location
IL
The windshield is the worst. I hate dirty windows so I have to wipe it down at least 3 times with brand new microfiber towels and Invisible Glass every time, and usually there's still some barely visible streaks on the inside.
 
Joined
Nov 23, 2021
Messages
164
The residue on the windshield is not from the cleaner. It's dirt and grime left over from an incomplete cleaning. It's from the vents and passengers breathing.

You have to clean the window multiple times with a good microfiber cloth. I have never been able to get a windshield clean in one pass with any cloth or any cleaner.

To answer your question, no. It won't harm the glass but it will smell terrible and overspray will damage interior pieces.

Professional, million-dollar detailers use ammonia free glass cleaner.
Everytime I wash my vehicle before detailing and sometimes in between I make sure to clean the inside glass with the micro fiber town used for drying. Cuts down on the crap from your breath and air vents. Then I clean with Stoner which is just overkill.
 
Top