Do I need a new oil pan?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The treads on my oil was stripped last year. I had this tapped out. I messed it up when I changed the oil. Without going into details (my brain wasn't working at the time!), the tap sticks out about a 1/8 in. I now have small leak around the hole. When I try to tighten the drain bolt more, I feel the bolt tighten then go loose again. I believe the tap is loose

Can this be fixed again or do I have to replace the oil pan? I am thinking catastrophic engine failure due to the tap falling out and my engine oil taking a dump.

From a fellow Ohio native who has also suffered "brain fade" when working on cars, I agree that this could be serious. I don't know if it could be fixed, but consider that unfortunate things sometimes happen, you have probably already saved a ton of money working on the car yourself, and it would be better to get it fixed right. I don't think that you want to wonder about it, and you will feel better having done so.

Best Wishes as you motor along!

There are aftermarket(Motor-Mite?) self-tapping oil pan plugs available in "single oversize" abd "double-oversize" threads. Why do I know this? Because a few years ago the service station that used to change my oil stripped my oil pan.
mad.gif
I immediately went back to changing my own oil, & the single-oversize self tapping plug in the factory aluminum oil pan is still working well. And it'll *keep* working well as long as nobody but me tightens it!
wink.gif

Sounds like either your plug or pan is stripped, all right. If the self-tapping plug is still being used, probably the oil pan.

*If*: the self tapping plug used last year was a "single-oversize",
*Then*: a "double-oversize" self tapping plug might bail you out. Might.

Since they're only about $2-$3 or so, worth a try? Be sure you get the right one for your car, they can look it up at the parts store.

If that won't work, best thing may be to get another oil pan.

Thanks guys for the help. I think my pan might be stripped so it sounds like the tap may not hold up. Decided to get a new oil pan since my son will be driving this car from now on. Don't want to take a chance.

Go to NAPA and get a helicoil to repair the threads. Most of the guys there are pretty handy and can get you waht you need and tell you how to use it. Just don't do it with the pan on your car. Tou don't want to get any metal shavings in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back