2002 Jeep liberty engine blown question

Engine banged hard, smoke everywhere came to a rolling stop and came out to find engine spilling oil and coolant. Dipstick had chocolate milk liquid and oil pan is blown up on one side. Question is. The car had been having a deep tone taping when at idle. Driving it would go away but idling at a red light it was loud and would come in pulses. Sometimes would go away and then back. And if I would put it in neutral the thumping would stop. The check engine light would come on and it would be a torque converter code. Drove it like this for a while but only when I absolutely had to. It was an Extra car my family took in. Someone mentioned that what if the thumping might have been what messed up the oil pan. Could it have been something by the crank like a bolt or a bearing or connecting rod or something that was making that thumping rattle the whole time?

Yup. There’s alot of metal moving inside an engine at a very high rate of speed at all times. What is your plan now?

Pictures or it didn't happen :cool:
Very sorry to disappoint friend! 😂😂 I also thought there’d be a whole but wasn’t lucky. If something as catastrophic as this is going to happen one can only expect some knarly aftermath but only an oil pan bulge. That maybe…… just maybe…. Might.. be in the shape of a rod..?? 😂😂😂
E21DB9AC-5E2F-4DF7-BCAC-65E71EA1D767.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I want one with one of the little Italian diesels just because. Our emissions laws killed them so they can't be all that bad....

Waste of time. Those things are junk.
Don’t know man. Thing lasted 268k miles. Overlanding and off-roading probably hence the issue. They’re solid. I knew what the problem was but the question was about if could the thumping have been the rod knock this whole time since it lasted a year or longer and was throwing torque converter codes. And also trans would go into limp mode.

Sounds like a classic "rod knock" that finally got to the point where the rod failed.
A few people told me that but the thumping was there for maybe longer than a year, car was throwing torque converter codes and trans would go into limp mode. Would turn off and on and go back to normal. Thumping would stop when in neutral. But could all that still be the rod knock?

A few people told me that but the thumping was there for maybe longer than a year, car was throwing torque converter codes and trans would go into limp mode. Would turn off and on and go back to normal. Thumping would stop when in neutral. But could all that still be the rod knock?

I've seen a bad transmission take out an engine before, so not completely impossible.

Maybe flexplate or flexplate bolts got loose and that was the noise and then it hit something and seized up and broke the engine? Who knows. Time to ship it to the junkyard!

Probably a combination of a couple things but I'll bet your crankshaft thrust bearing went accelerating the failure of a rod bearing. A transmission vibration could have made it happen quicker.

Its dead.

Back