Do additives and detergents really sink in shelved oil?

A suspension by definition is a liquid and solid particles capable of sedimentation.

I'll never find the post, but someone here posted a picture of the bottom of his Pennzoil Platinum bottle, which was coated in sediment. It happens. Some of my stash has been sitting in the garage for long enough that I will be checking them before pouring them in.

Old habits die hard, I have the paint store shake every can of paint I buy. I've done that for over 40 years in business. It carries over to oil changes. I make sure I shake up the oil before I pour it in the engine. If I plan on doing an oil change over the weekend, each time I go into the basement during the week I shake up the oil I plan on using for the oil change. Spur of the moment oil changes, the oil gets shaken while the old oil is draining.

Yes, additives will separate out. General Motors years ago advised their dealiers Not to use large bulk oil tanks larger than than using all the oil withing 18 months? All engine oil I've used, Mobil, Pennzoil and Edge have shown separating by having a line of darker fluid. Usually happens at ~ 1+ years. I shake all liquids before dispensing. Ed

Additives in the DI package may, over time dissolute, and then conglomerate to the point they may fall under gravity to the bottom of a container.

The solution for long time stored lubricants is to warm them up and shake or agitate to place them back in solution.

I'll never find the post, but someone here posted a picture of the bottom of his Pennzoil Platinum bottle, which was coated in sediment. It happens. Some of my stash has been sitting in the garage for long enough that I will be checking them before pouring them in.
this is kinda why I'm asking. I just changed oil but forgot to shake it up. haha. I save a 1/2 litre to top at 5000km so that will be super concentrated.

No sediments seen in the bottom of Valvoline Advanced 5 qt jugs - and no shaking before looking.

You must store all oil jugs upside down, so the additives are at the top, when you pick it up 😉🤣
I bet you buy these too ... 😄

Upside Down Storage.jpg

Did not notice any sediment build up at the bottom of the 1L bottles of SHU that were manufactured on NOV 2019 that I poured recently.

But i guess shaking before pouring is good practise.

I have a habit of swirling the last quart in a 5qt jug.

I used to shake the jug when about 1/2 poured, but then I was seeing all this entrained air
in the oil going down the funnel and I said,
"That doesn't look good!"
So I backed off the shaking.

Back in the old days of big moly, the leftover oil seem to have the most "lube magic" in it.
You top off with a leftover 1/4 qt and it was smooth ridin' ! :)

I have a habit of swirling the last quart in a 5qt jug.

I used to shake the jug when about 1/2 poured, but then I was seeing all this entrained air
in the oil going down the funnel and I said,
"That doesn't look good!"
So I backed off the shaking.

Back in the old days of big moly, the leftover oil seem to have the most "lube magic" in it.
You top off with a leftover 1/4 qt and it was smooth ridin' ! :)
Reminds me of trying to shake a new bottle of V8 veggie juice … they fill them to the cap🧐

Back