Distilled vs Purified Drinking Water

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: kschachn
The Pentosin rep like many people who talk about water, has no idea what he's talking about. Distilled water does not have minerals in it, he's full of it and I wonder where he learned his Chemistry.

Originally Posted By: Engine Ice
Engine Ice is a great way to keep your motorcycle or ATV running cooler and performing well with a product that is not harmful to the environment. Engine Ice is made from Propylene Glycol which is biodegradable and non-toxic. It is premixed with de-ionized water which eliminates all impurities for maximum performance and durability - even distilled water contains particles of metal and chemicals which cause scarring, scaling, clogging and mineral buildup. Engine Ice is proven to reduce motorcycle engine operating temperature by as much as 50F - a necessity for today's high-performance bikes which overheat just idling. Because of Engine Ice's non-toxic phosphate-free formula, it is safe for people and pets.

https://www.motosport.com/product/?adpos...;segment=badger

Last edited:
If distilled water has minerals and metals in it, it's been contaminated after the fact of distillation.

Originally Posted By: Warstud
The Pentosin rep like many people who talk about water, has no idea what he's talking about. Distilled water does not have minerals in it, he's full of it and I wonder where he learned his Chemistry.

Originally Posted By: Engine Ice
Engine Ice is a great way to keep your motorcycle or ATV running cooler and performing well with a product that is not harmful to the environment. Engine Ice is made from Propylene Glycol which is biodegradable and non-toxic. It is premixed with de-ionized water which eliminates all impurities for maximum performance and durability - even distilled water contains particles of metal and chemicals which cause scarring, scaling, clogging and mineral buildup. Engine Ice is proven to reduce motorcycle engine operating temperature by as much as 50F - a necessity for today's high-performance bikes which overheat just idling. Because of Engine Ice's non-toxic phosphate-free formula, it is safe for people and pets.

https://www.motosport.com/product/?adpos...;segment=badger

The Engine Ice people, like many people who talk about water, have no idea what they are talking about. Distilled water does not have minerals in it. They are full of it and I wonder where they learned their Chemistry.

Quote:
even distilled water contains particles of metal and chemicals which cause scarring, scaling, clogging and mineral buildup

Is almost too silly to make a proper response.

Originally Posted By: Warstud
Zerex/Valvoline also uses de-ionized water in there Antifreeze.

And? There's no judgement between the two in that statement, they are just saying that's what they use. There's likely a reason they do so rather than using distilled, do you know what it is?

Why don't you look into whether there are actual differences between the two or if there are minerals in distilled water? I mean from actual scientific sources, not pseudoscientific ones.

The Engine Ice people, like many people who talk about water, have no idea what they are talking about. Distilled water does not have minerals in it. They are full of it and I wonder where they learned their Chemistry.

Maybe they have a clue, but that gets in the way of selling a product.
wink.gif

Warstud: I can't speak for certain for an industrial setup like the Zerex people would be using, but I suspect that distillation might not be used because it's more costly than other ways to get to a functionally equivalent result. Boiling and distilling thousands of gallons of water versus softening and following with RO isn't cost effective unless your facility happens to be at a power plant or something like that.

Reverse osmosis is much less energy intensive on an industrial scale vs distillation. Arid Caribbean islands that were developed early for tourism have a combined fuel oil powered seawater distillation desalination plants for potable water and electric power plants, such as the Nethrrlands Antillies. Islands developed more recenyly like the Turks & Caicos have reverse osmosis seawater desalination plants.

The refinery I worked at that installed a reverse osmosis system produced ultra-pure water for our systems. We used an existing softener system and an existing decarbonator for final polish of the RO product then doped it with a little causic soda solution as a buffer to keep it ftom being "hungry"water.

Every chemistry lab from high school on as well as our university unit operations laboratory had an electrodeionization system for supplying purified water.

Many ways to get to an equivalent end product.

The only way for distilled water to have things in it like posted above is through mishandling in either the distillation equipment and / or through transportation and handling.

Water has the highest heat capacity of all common substances and also has high energy requirements both to turn it to vapor and to condense ftom a vapor to a liquid, which makes it a very useful fluid for converting those properties to mechanical work. This can be done with low technology equipment. But it's expensive and for the sanctimonious creates more CO2 emissions compared with other currently available technologies for demineralization due to the energy intensity requirements of distillation.

Last edited:
We only have to put a few ppm of ammonia in it to keep the carbon steel storage tanks (2MG) happy.

When it gets to the boiler, a dash more ammonia, a little carbohydrazide in the high pressure stuff, and nothing happens.

FWIW, I am a chemist at a university and one of my duties is maintaining our "house" deionized water system. We feed tap water in that gets passed through a couple of ion exchange resins. The building is plumbed with a few miles of hose and water constantly recirculates through the resins.

We have a simple go/no-go conductivity meter on the system itself. It's a lightbulb that lights if the resistivity is 1 MΩ/cm or greater, and goes out when the resistivity falls below that. That's when we call Culligan to come out and swap our resin beds(they're in tanks that look a lot like gas cylinders).

When I was in graduate school-at the same school-we did a lot of stuff in my lab where the "regular" deionized water wasn't good enough. We primarily did electrochemistry, and 1 MΩ/cm is way too conductive when you're analyzing signals in the picoamp range(plus it can give false peaks when you're looking at metals). We had a "nanopure" system in our lab. Nanonpure is a Barnstead brand name-the equivalent Millipore system is "Milli-Q." In any case, we plumbed the "house" DI water into it and that was circulated through a couple of other cartridges. We had two mixed-bed anion-cation exchange, carbon to scrub organics, and one other one whose purpose I don't remember. A full set of cartridges lasted about a year and was around $1K. In any case, the "theoretical" conductivity was 18 MΩ/cm. Folks would always get irritated when I'd do the yearly maintenance because the "new" cartridges would only read around 16 MΩ/com-what would actually happen is bacterial growth on the flow cell that measured conductivity would get cleaned off when I did the yearly maintenance-the bacteria of course increases the resistance. In any case, the low conductivity water from that was then passed through a couple of very fine filters(I think the final one was .2µm) to filter out bacteria and other particulates. THAT was about as clean as water gets.

In any case, I use the regular deionized water from work for my cars. It's good enough.

From what I've read, you are to use drinking water in a radiator.

Distilled and deionized have no minerals. Which when ran inside an engine block will leach the lacking metals from the block and radiator which is corrosion.

slomo

Originally Posted By: slomo
From what I've read, you are to use drinking water in a radiator.

Distilled and deionized have no minerals. Which when ran inside an engine block will leach the lacking metals from the block and radiator which is corrosion.

slomo

The additives used in the antifreeze should counter-act any "leaching."

If you ran only water, this might be a concern. I don't know of anyone who does that, though-even the racers I know who essentially use straight water do add a small amount of a product like Redline Water Wetter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back