Distilled vs Purified Drinking Water

Status
Not open for further replies.
Purified RO water has 3-7 ppm of minerals per liter. The spring water we bottled had 400-500 ppm of minerals per liter.

Originally Posted By: Bluestream

This Pentosin rep says de-ionised over distilled (starts at 3:30)

Any reason why or do I have to watch the whole 17 minute video?

This Pentosin rep says de-ionised over distilled (starts at 3:30)

The Pentosin rep like many people who talk about water, has no idea what he's talking about. Distilled water does not have minerals in it, he's full of it and I wonder where he learned his Chemistry.

The "NoRosion" 'techs'/owner also speaks of RO, de-ionized as the way to go for various reasons.

ANY catayltic/polarity/'sacrificial' chemistry validity to their theories AT ALL?
21.gif

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
The "NoRosion" 'techs'/owner also speaks of RO, de-ionized as the way to go for various reasons.

ANY catayltic/polarity/'sacrificial' chemistry validity to their theories AT ALL?
21.gif

I have a decent conductivity meter at my workplace to assist managing our greenhouse water. I've played with it a bit while trying to "super clean" an engine cooling system. While distilled and DI water have trace amounts of conductivity, I could NEVER even begin to get water out of the "super cleaned" engine coolant system to show low amounts of conductivity (low ion, pure water). This tells me that the engine components release atoms immediately into the pure water, it reaches an equilibrium level almost instantly, and barely a trace of any metal, rubber, etc. atoms are eroded away from the engine parts.

Other greenhouse growers claim that DI water running through pipes in a NON circulating system do show signs of erosion after years. The continuously flowing super clean water strips the atoms away in a very tiny amount over a great period of time. That's what they "tell" me.

The water in an engine recirculates, so any tiny amount of atoms stripped off the engine surfaces stays in solution, reaches an equilibrium level quickly, and ceases to erode any more atoms.

That's my opinion about the subject based on playing with a conductivity meter. I cannot imagine distilled water recirculating in an engine is going to erode any amount of material to even think about engine damage. Trying to claim distilled water is worse than DI has me scratching my head also.

That No-Rosion site seems to be hawking something that may have assisted with the very old conventional coolants. Their play on inducing fear sets off red flags for me. It seems similar to the Lubegard transmission additives. Very high quality additives in their day, but are they really beneficial with today's sophisticated transmission lubes?

They claim that pure water is the most powerful solvent there is and you will never find pure water as it immediately latches onto something it comes into contact with.

I ran into a chemical engineer many years ago when I was south on holidays. we got talking about coolant as I was doing 2 year changes. He told me the only time you need to change coolant in an engine is when it gets dirty. The anti-corrosion stuff is just 'Marketing" Since then I have been doing 10 year coolant changes and with great success.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
Originally Posted By: dailydriver

21.gif

I have a decent conductivity meter at my workplace to assist managing our greenhouse water. I've played with it a bit while trying to "super clean" an engine cooling system. While distilled and DI water have trace amounts of conductivity, I could NEVER even begin to get water out of the "super cleaned" engine coolant system to show low amounts of conductivity (low ion, pure water). This tells me that the engine components release atoms immediately into the pure water, it reaches an equilibrium level almost instantly, and barely a trace of any metal, rubber, etc. atoms are eroded away from the engine parts.

Other greenhouse growers claim that DI water running through pipes in a NON circulating system do show signs of erosion after years. The continuously flowing super clean water strips the atoms away in a very tiny amount over a great period of time. That's what they "tell" me.

The water in an engine recirculates, so any tiny amount of atoms stripped off the engine surfaces stays in solution, reaches an equilibrium level quickly, and ceases to erode any more atoms.

That's my opinion about the subject based on playing with a conductivity meter. I cannot imagine distilled water recirculating in an engine is going to erode any amount of material to even think about engine damage. Trying to claim distilled water is worse than DI has me scratching my head also.

That No-Rosion site seems to be hawking something that may have assisted with the very old conventional coolants. Their play on inducing fear sets off red flags for me. It seems similar to the Lubegard transmission additives. Very high quality additives in their day, but are they really beneficial with today's sophisticated transmission lubes?

THANK YOU for that insight.
thumbsup2.gif

I am NOT a believer in their marketing hype, nor their fear mongering, but was only trying to bring up another('s) stance/given explanation for using RO/DI over distilled, to be discussed and refuted or confirmed.
wink.gif

Distilled vs de-ionized is just semantics, one describes a process and the other describes the end product. Both refer to high purity water.

What about river water, would it be okay to use in the coolant system?

And yes, I mean water that came from a river, not some fancy brand of bottled H2O.

Does it help or hurt if I extracted the water using an empty butter tub...that had been in the bed of my truck for a couple days...or possibly weeks...actually, now that I think about it, I found the butter tub on the side of the road...but I don’t know how long it had been there.

Also, the river was the San Saba river and the location was along Hwy 67 just south of Brady, TX...I don’t remember the time of year, but the truck was a 71 Chevy with a 350 cid engine, if that factors in at all.

Originally Posted By: PeterPolyol
Distilled vs de-ionized is just semantics, one describes a process and the other describes the end product. Both refer to high purity water.

You'll often see RO water at the university referred to as deionised water. University of Saskatchewan used a distiller, where the U of R was using RO, last time I was there.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
They claim that pure water is the most powerful solvent there is and you will never find pure water as it immediately latches onto something it comes into contact with.

Pure water (including good RO or distilled) will dissolve carbon dioxide from the atmosphere and the pH of the water will drop.

Distilled, deionised, R.O. different process by far.

Deionised typically uses ion exchange resins to remove ions...that's what we feed the boilers at the power station.

Distilled - exactly that...the stuff condensed after the turbines is that.

R.O...never as pure as the above, as there's always some leakage, more as the membrane tubes fail...

Yes, ultra clean water is "hungry". you can see the aggregate in the concrete very quickly under a leak that you would never see under a fire pipe...drinking it isn't going to turn you into a "boneless chicken" (google boneless chicken range farside).

As Garak says, it will immeditely dissolve gasses from the atmosphere, and silica from your water glass.

Re that norosion..whatever oxygen is dissolved in the water is gone within an hour the first time the engine is up to temperature...yes through oxidising some metals. The OLD days when there was a rad cap, plain water, and no epxansion tank, the oxygen got replenished every single heat cycle. These days it doesn't.

In the power stations, we lose iron and coppe from the systems, as every time around, the condensate is exposed to air inleakage from the condenser, in terms of 10s of parts per billion...tiny, but constantly refreshed every circuit, and grabbing copper and iron ions on the way through.

The university here, as I recall, had a "softening" stage for the hard water ions before the RO. The U of S was an old school distiller, as I understood it. The water quality in Saskatoon was much better than here, from a hardness perspective, at least.

Quote:
....This Pentosin rep says de-ionised over distilled (starts at 3:30)

[video:youtube] video included above [/video]

Discussed here recently. Agree with JHZR2 there, and will stick with readily available inexpensive distilled. Just as I have for years since aluminum blocks and heads and vehicle manufacturer recommended. And just as the OP of this thread did.

As aside, Pentosin rep in vid also said OAT needs to be combined with an inorganic acid, silicate or phosphate. Incorrect, as DexCool, PGL, and FCA/Mopar OAT prove.

This Pentosin rep says de-ionised over distilled

Either one should be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back