What would be the best way to do this coolant flush?

I have done this method in the past and it is time consuming for sure. My main concern like I originally posted is that the radiator holds less than the stated capacity of the system so even if I use 100% concentrate to fill the radiator back up, I will still have more water than coolant in the system which is what I don't want.
If you're worried about that, all you have to do is drive it for a few days. Then, when the engine is cold, drain off a gallon and refill it with 100% antifreeze concentrate. That will take you to a much higher concentration.

If you're worried about that, all you have to do is drive it for a few days. Then, when the engine is cold, drain off a gallon and refill it with 100% antifreeze concentrate. That will take you to a much higher concentration.
Yes, that is a good idea.

In the process of doing the coolant change on my fiancé's truck. I drained the initial amount out and got out right under 6 quarts out of the 16 quarts it holds. I refilled the tank twice so far with distilled water and each time I'm only able to add 3/4 of a gallon and nowhere close to 6 quarts drains back out. I'm running the truck until it gets up to temp with the heater on high.

So it's not really going as planned so far.

Last edited:
Well, the airlift tool was a total bust. Would not pull down into a vacuum at all and we have a big air compressor. I ended up using my Lisle no spill funnel.

I just bought one to check my concentration, because I fear I topped off with concentrate instead of 50/50

Gotta brush up on how to use it
I have the Robinair version of this tool and used it today to check the concentration. I had to read the instructions on how to use it. It's pretty neat and it said that my concentration was good to -40 degrees F.

I watched a YouTube video where they sucked out coolant from the block with a shopvac from the lower hose. I think it was vice grip garage, but either way no reason that wouldn't get quite a bit of the old stuff out no? Maybe back flush the heater core with a garden hose, hook stuff back up and refill. Wouldn't hurt anything I don't think. When I watched it, I was surprised the redneck in me had never thought of doing that before.

Reactions: wtd
I just did two of my vehicles. I settled with this process.
1. Drain the rad. ( the coolant in the jug also came out).
2. Fill with distilled water.
3. Drive for 10 or 15 minutes.
4. Let cool.
5. Drain the rad again.
6. For vehicles where only 1/3 is in the rad and 2/3 is retained in the engine, fill with 100% concentrated coolant.
6B. For vehicles where 2/3 is in the rad and only 1/3 is retained in the engine fill with 75% concentrated coolant and 25% distilled water.

In both cases I end up with a mixture that is good for at least -45 F. Which is what I need up here and am ensured it has a goodly amount of corrosion inhibitor. The first shot is the concentration of Dexcool. The second shot is the concentration of Prestone 10 year. Enjoy. :)

6BFFE12E-3346-49BF-A7A3-EE9CBAF28266.jpeg
47773C2A-984B-4510-8C8A-A41BE255517B.jpeg

Reactions: wtd
My 2014 Mustang GT is due for a coolant replacement again. I had the dealer do it in 2019 so it still has the old-style orange coolant in it. I will have to use the new yellow coolant as I did for my fiancé's Ford truck.

I still have to figure out how much the system holds.

My preferred method is to try to get at least half the coolant capacity out, more is also OK.
I would drain the radiator and then disconnect the lower hose and see how much total comes out from the block. I think you should be able to get more than half the total capacity out this way.

If not, then like @billt460 mentioned, drive around, drain and fill with 100% concentrate until there is 50% of concentrate in there, then top off with water. This method wastes more coolant, but sometimes that’s how it goes.

Back