disappointed with Castrol Edge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Hootbro
Originally Posted By: dbvettez061

I seriously wonder how anyone can tell a difference between oils in the engine.....Just my 2 cents....

Most times, it is just a "placebo effect" because that is what people want to believe.

Disagree. Like I said, I have driven my car enough to know it. The car has seen Amsoil 0w30 it's whole life except for two times. I ordered my car from the dealer I worked for. The day it showed up I changed the oil with Amsoil 5w30. So it saw factory fill for ~100 miles, then about 1500miles on Ams 5w30, and then 0w30 ever since. I know how my car starts, sounds, and runs in cold weather, in hot summer winter, and everything in between. It is not placebo. My 3.8l Mivec engine is a little on the loud side with it's valve train. It is something that I've always heard, and I listen to it all the time because it is a pet peeve of mine and even though it is mechanically sound, I wish it was quieter. That being said, I have noticed that it IS for sure quieter at start up, and possibly even a little quieter at idle after hot runs.

I can not say that the car feels faster, or slower, or that it has more power now with the Edge, or anything else. All I am saying that you CAN hear a difference in the valve train noise. One other observation that I have noticed is that according to my electric oil pressure gauge, it idles warm about 3psi higher than the Amsoil did, but it also runs about about 5psi less while highway cruising than the Amsoil did. Why I get slightly different readings, and how accurate my oil pressure readings may not be a controlled 100% reliable test, and in all honestly, I never have 100% confidence in any guage reading just from past experience, but I can say that for whatever reason, I am getting a slightly different reading.

So anyone can doubt the validity of my post, that is fine. I was simply posting about my experience using this oil, and I totally stand behind what I have posted.

My S-10 2.2L is running nice and smooth and quiter over M1 HM only thing is my timming chain is almost due to be replaced and I can here it rattle when its cold. but it would do that no matter what oil so. Im happy with it I may even do a UOA after 3000-5000mi.

and speaking of oil pressure mine holds more with accel. than M1 less at idle and about the same with highway speeds but when its cold under accel. it will peg the guage with castrol and it didnt with M1

Last edited:
My valve train noise lessened quite a bit with my change from M1 to EDGE, although I did switch filters from Mobil to PureOne with this OCI. A little over 2K miles, and so far not a single complaint on this Castrol product.

Originally Posted By: PT1
Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Amen on your purchasing rules.
I have about three years of oil now, including some Edge.
Unless you can get it dirt cheap, pass on it.

+1 on the Amen...I have just over 300 qts that I have paid about $580 for. $2/qt for synthetic is my limit now.
thumbsup2.gif

300Qts.!!!!
shocked2.gif
WHAT THE!!

Their promotion is working...

I can't wait to try my 10 qts in the F-150

Last edited:
I wish there was a 5w20 version(warranty on my Ranger). I've heard the oils are pretty thin but it doesn't say 5w20 on the bottle.

I'm still waiting to run the Edge I got on sale (along with rebate, which I hope is coming soon). Probably not until April next year.

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
I've got enough PP/Napa syn for my cars, though I'm tempted to try it for my brother's car...

Ah,use the old brothers car for a Guinea pig huh?

One thing that was nice about the rebate is that I actually received an email confirmation that they received my rebate, and would be mailing it out. And then somethign like 8-10 weeks, but at least I know that they reveived it and that it is coming. My Mobil 1 Rebate took like 4 months to show up, and never did I get any update.

Now, back to oil. I would *prob* continue to use the oil if the pricing was good. If I have to spend $8 a quart on it, I will most likely stick with the Amsoil.

Edge looks like a great oil. Wish we got it in Canada at retail level.

We have 'GM 4718M' oil at GM dealerships, that SEEMS to be Edge (VOA of both seems to indicate it), but no regular retail version.

I loved your thread Mr. 248, well written, well presented with facts. I am sure you realize unless the oil is a favorite like PP or RL or Amsoil faults will be found if you say favorable things. That is the nature of sites like this where opinions dominate without any real conclusions ever realized. I hopethe Edge continues to perform in your colder Jan days, thanks again for the imput, love to see guys like you contributing too.Also realize some might be offended that you did not pay $15.00 a qt. because they feel if you spend more it has to be better. P.T. said something about that kind of thinking one being born every min. Thanks again...

Originally Posted By: ottotheclown
I loved your thread Mr. 248, well written, well presented with facts. I am sure you realize unless the oil is a favorite like PP or RL or Amsoil faults will be found if you say favorable things. That is the nature of sites like this where opinions dominate without any real conclusions ever realized. I hopethe Edge continues to perform in your colder Jan days, thanks again for the imput, love to see guys like you contributing too.Also realize some might be offended that you did not pay $15.00 a qt. because they feel if you spend more it has to be better. P.T. said something about that kind of thinking one being born every min. Thanks again...

Like I said, I'm pretty much diehard Amsoil, I run it my boat, my power equipment, my car, I think it is excellent. The only reason I ended up trying the Castrol Edge was because I got such a good deal on it. I planned on running it and then going back to the Amsoil in the spring, but I'm really happy with what I have seen so far. So we will see. I'd like to get a UOA once I get some more miles on it and see what the numbers look like. Aside from that I'd say this stuff is a thumbs up for sure.

...I have just over 300 qts that I have paid about $580 for.

Wow...I don't feel so bad about my stash now!

Originally Posted By: gregester

+1 on the Amen...I have just over 300 qts that I have paid about $580 for. $2/qt for synthetic is my limit now.
thumbsup2.gif

300 qts....jesus man, its only money, im paying 10 bucks a quart for rl 0-40 because thats what i want to run in my car.

I do at least 15 oil changes a year. Which if I include my boat totals about 100 quarts. So my stash will last about 3 years. So 100 quarts of RL= $1,000 versus the $200 I paid. I do use RL in my Harley but only paid $3-4 a quart on the AAP closeout for 20w50. I can buy myself a big screen TV every year with the $800.

Edge will be the oil of choice when I send my kids car off to college and know it will go 8-10k without a change. I'll overfill it 1/2 quart and hope for the best. It sucks when you go to "parents day" and end up taking the kids car to a jiffy lube to get the oil changed so they don't grenade the engine.

Originally Posted By: gizzsdad
...I have just over 300 qts that I have paid about $580 for.

Wow...I don't feel so bad about my stash now!

I felt guilty for having a stash of 125 quarts of oil and a case of Redline SI-1. 300 qts blows me out of the water.

I do have 24 Mobil 1 EP oil filters I got for 4.99 a piece awhile back.

Edge will be the oil of choice when I send my kids car off to college and know it will go 8-10k without a change. I'll overfill it 1/2 quart and hope for the best. It sucks when you go to "parents day" and end up taking the kids car to a jiffy lube to get the oil changed so they don't grenade the engine.

I feel your pain. My son joined the Navy a few years ago, and bought a used BMW after his first deployment. I'm proud to say he learned well from me how to cut a deal on a used car. I'm a little disappointed he took no interest in repairing cars when he lived home. A BMW is an expensive car to work on. My first trip out to him he needed front brakes. After getting an estimate for close to $500 from Les Schwab my son suddenly wanted to learn how to work on his car. Thank goodness for the Hobby Shack. We did them together and he learned how to do his front brakes and pocket some nice change in the process.

thumbsup2.gif

Picture please. K thx bye.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back