disappointed with Castrol Edge

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am 3,000 miles into a fill of Castrol Edge 5W30. Great stuff. My engine is noticeably quieter, smoother, and stronger running than when I used Mobil Clean 5000 conventional.

I plan to run it another 5,000 miles and then change it, for a total of 8,000 miles on the oil. I will put Edge in again. Might also get a UOA to see if it could have gone longer.

Interestingly, my car used to use about a quart of oil every 3,000 miles. So far it has not used any while on Edge.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Fast forward 1 year from now and I'm thinking Edge will be a Bitog darling. JMO

Not with that goofy commercial!!

Originally Posted By: lexus114
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Fast forward 1 year from now and I'm thinking Edge will be a Bitog darling. JMO

Not with that goofy commercial!!

Good point, I tried to see beyond that. Plus the fact that I used the $10 off coupon at AAP, and took advantage of the $15 rebate. So basically it cost me sales tax, and I got a Pure One filter out of the deal. Otherwise you're right, their ad had me staying clear of it.

^^^ Well,for me a corporation is only as good as it`s advertising. What else does a common Joe know about the company in question? They reach people by their ad`s.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Johnny248
Anyone else having good results with it??

Results? I don't think you've got much in terms of results, really. No offense, but "nice and smooth" doesn't really count, IMO. :)

There have been some UOAs posted if you look on that subforum, but even that is hard to consider "results". After all, UOA is not the best tool for comparing one oil to another.

I know some people gauge their oil on smoothness, sound etc and think its the best when its not, but what does count then, when a UOA is not the best tool ? A loud rattly engine ?

Last edited:
Long before UOA, aside from tearing into an engine there wasn't much else to go by. If you could look into the VC and see a clean engine that was smooth and quiet then the oil was doing well. Many people do just that today along with a blotter test, and look at the oil.

I recently changed the oil in my 1993 Camry V6, to Edge 5w-30 for the winter & due to a huge Walmart Sale! I absolutely love this stuff & the 3.0 V6 is even quieter with it!

Originally Posted By: lexus114
^^^ Well,for me a corporation is only as good as it`s advertising. What else does a common Joe know about the company in question? They reach people by their ad`s.

Agreed. How can you really say that a product is no good because of the TV commercials? When it comes selling a product or service, no matter how good or bad it may be, the marketing approach can either kill it, or make it the greatest thing on earth.

Some of us may not like the "think with your dipstick" commercials, but really when you look at the target market, I'd say it is pretty safe to assume that not many people know much if anything about engine oil. They see a Mobil 1 add with Nascar's, so people think "wow, they said more Nascar teams choose Mobil 1, so it must be pretty [censored] good if they use it in race cars" so there for word of mouth passes around the idea of how great Mobil 1 is (not saying the product is great or [censored], just an example) and so now when people think of synthetic oil, the first thing that comes to mind or out of most peoples mouth's is Mobil 1.

So now to the Castrol ads, wether people like or dislike the Scottish guy, the fact is that it got peoples attentions, and they have associated the "castrol edge" with the dip stick guy. Whether or not they every buy the product or not, only time will tell but they did get their point out by getting the product into peoples minds. So someday they walk into a store because they are thinking about changing their oil. They walk past all the brands reading them in their head, and they they hit the Edge. "oh, castrol edge, I've heard that stuff is pretty good" and then next thing they know they purchased it.

So very long post short, getting the name out there and recognized is important, and it has worked well enough for all the Castrol haters on there to keep commenting on it. My opinion, pretty successful marketing campaign.

And so the fact is, the more I read these forums, the more I see how biased people are towards certain products. Remember the old saying "this guy swears by it, he has been using forever" well, I keep seeing so many people on this site who are now swearing by all these products like PP, or Mobil 1, or Rotella, etc. Anything else is inferior to their favorite brand. Just because you think you do not like something, does not mean that the product is bad. Try something new, why not?

I've been a die hard Amsoil user for a long, long time. I trust the brand and reputation. I feel confident in my purchases because I know that I it is pretty much safe to say that no matter what Amsoil branded product I purchase, it is going to be a very good product. BUT, I bout this Edge because of the rebate and coupon, and guess what?? It is some pretty good stuff, so sure I would use it again even though I feel like I'm turning my back on Amsoil lol

So back to my original point, you can't judge a product because of the commercial you saw on tv.

I think it's interesting that the people that are knocking Edge haven't even tried it. I think it's sad that as people who are more enlightened about oil, so many of us are scared off just because of a commercial!

As I said in an earlier thread on this same subject, get past the marketing, try the oil, and judge it on its merits. I know the price never went down in some areas, and in some other areas it did go down, but recently went back up, but I am still confident that good deals are out there to be had. If nothing else, there is still the rebate from Castrol (which I just got back in the mail yesterday, by the way).

Is it as good for the masses as some other similarly priced oils? We don't know, but we'll never know unless some brave souls decide to go out on a limb and give it a try. Be brave, people! Live on the edge (no pun intended). Give it a try. You really don't have anything to lose. As I said in the above mentioned thread, I have recently changed to Edge, at least for the Winter. Will I continue using it? I honestly don't know yet. I'll see how I feel about it after driving with it all Winter, but so far I am pleased with it. At the very least I will know that I gave it a try, which I always thought this group was all about.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back