Disapointed with Wal-Mart TCW3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd been a fan of it as well, but to be honest, I see more mileage gains and my car runs better on the Lucas UCL. With no mufflers and side exit pipes I can hear a kind of funny fluttering sound at idle, and it was lessened with the UCL.

It's less noticeable when running 640:1 than 500:1, so maybe 500:1 is too much in my car. But, I see even less mileage benefits the less I use.

Has anyone noticed different MPG gains using different brands? Ive been tempted to get a pint of the Quick Silver synthetic blend or the Evinrude stuff at Walmart to try.

A lot of hair-splitting, if you ask me. Statisticly, it's difficult enough to ascertain a mpg gain/loss from simply having a top oil or not. Getting into brands and results from 1/10,000 difference in concentration??? Call me skeptical. I think you can do all the analysis needed by looking at the quality and quantity of ingredients, plus TCW actually meeting a spec. Lucas comes up very short when anyone looks at the quality/quantity issue.

I don't think the brand of TCW3 oil has as much to do with it as the dose does. I have overdosed to the point where I could actually see engine power drop with using an inverse oiler.

Adding it to the gas between a 400:1 and a 600:1 ratio is about the best ratio that I've found, you have to experiment with it. I have been using about 450:1 in my Aerostar with good results. MMO recommends a 400:1 ratio of their product in the gas.

I am thinking of increasing my dose to 400:1 in the Aerostar for the winter months.

JMO,
Frank D

I think in stone-cold it would help w/ starting and start-up wear, especially if the dose is increased.

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
I think in stone-cold it would help w/ starting and start-up wear, especially if the dose is increased.

That's true to a point, you can overdose and cause starting issues, stalling issues, and lack of power. I've played around with the Inverse oiler, and accomplished all those feats. I think running the mix ratio in the gas tank at 400:1 for the winter months is a good idea, and certainly won't cause any of the problems I mentioned above. Too much oil decreases octane unfortunately. I would certainly experiment with increasing the winter dose, its worth the added protection, and you might even be able to run it at 300:1 if the engine doesn't respond negatively.

Just another hobby for the BITOG'ers!

JMO,
Frank D

All WMT branded products carry a money back guarantee-even if opened. This goes for their house brand OTC medicines labeled Equate instead of SuperTech
Take it back-let em smell it, and tell em it's rancid

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
A lot of hair-splitting, if you ask me. Statisticly, it's difficult enough to ascertain a mpg gain/loss from simply having a top oil or not. Getting into brands and results from 1/10,000 difference in concentration??? Call me skeptical. I think you can do all the analysis needed by looking at the quality and quantity of ingredients, plus TCW actually meeting a spec. Lucas comes up very short when anyone looks at the quality/quantity issue.

I have to agree with that. You CAN'T determine a MPG change from dosage or brand unless you have a fancy dyno to test your car on. Everything elese is pure placebo. A lot of people think thier car is faster after they wash it.

A smart person can make an educated guess whether adding a lubricant to their fuel is a good thing or not. NONE of us have the proper equipment to actually measure these miniscule changes.

But then again if placebos are all you need, then buy 'em in bulk and keep taking them!

I could care less about how the stuff smells.
Get a better container, or don't store it in the car interior.

BTW, I use the Walmart TCW3, Lucas UCL, MMO, or a mix of any of them, according to how I feel that day.

I bought some outboard tcw3 oil from Canadian Tire and it's blue. I guess they put some dye in it, would that be ok to use? Also, does adding tcw3 oil to gas regularly decrease spark plug life? Is combustion chamber build up an issue?

TCW3 and most 2 Cycle oils are very low ash so they don't have combustion issues. I personally use ~ 3 OZ in my 18 gallon gas tank at each fill up without any issues.

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
I kind of like the almost kerosene smell of the Walmart stuff, but, then again, I'm weird.

I love the smell of Walmart TCW3 in the morning!

Actually, I don't know what the big deal about the smell is anyway. If you're following the "Sarge" recommended 1oz per 5gals, you're only adding a few ounces per fill-up. I pre-measured my Walmart TCW3 into long-neck containers, so the whole process is very sanitary. Unless you're getting this stuff all over your face, body and clothes, it's really no big deal.

Just bought some today. I didn't find it that bad smelling... no where near as bad as the 75w90 GL5 gear lube for my Subaru. My garage stinks for weeks/months after a tranny/diff change... that catch pan just stinks forever.

I also purchased a large syringe that allows me to pull up to 2oz out of the quart containers with a 4-5 inch plastic tube attached to it, no fuss no mess.

Holy smokes.. just realized how old this thread is!!
lol.gif

That what happens when you start searching archives
grin2.gif

Before I switched to Pennzoil's TC-W3, I used Lubri-Matic TC-W3 (a Plews-Edelmann product). The Lubri-Matic had a strong smell to it as well.

I'm using the Wal-Mart TCW3 in my Aerostar 1 ounce/5 gallons of gas and it is doing a good job IMO. It has lowered my oil consumption by about 1/2 qt/5000 miles. No point in using the more expensive Amsoil product as an additive to gas in a car, at least IMO.

As mentioned it meets the TCW3 spec and for a fuel additive that is all I'm looking for. As far as smell goes, that never bothered me. The Pennzoil TCW3 I used before the Wal-Mart product had a stink to it as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back