Disapointed with Wal-Mart TCW3

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a lot easier with metric;

500:1 -> if I put 40L of gas I put 80ml of tcw3. Why? 40L = 40000ml, divided by 500 = 80ml.

You americans are going to take the imperial system to the grave aren't you!
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: webfors
It's a lot easier with metric;

500:1 -> if I put 40L of gas I put 80ml of tcw3. Why? 40L = 40000ml, divided by 500 = 80ml.

You americans are going to take the imperial system to the grave aren't you!
grin2.gif

You betcha!
smile.gif
I had to convert that 40L into 10 gallons and that 80ml into 2½ ounces to check your math!
laugh.gif

I found an interesting TC oil review here: http://www.geistware.com/rcmodeling/articles/oil_test/index.htm
It is about 2 cycle oil in model airplane motors @ 2 stroke ratios, but it kinda confirms that Pennzoil is very good and doesn't cause too much carbon inside the chamber, but outside....

Quote:
Pennzoil TWC-3 outboard synthetic mixed 32:1. gas was 93 octane.
The engine was run for 6 hrs and nearly 3 gal of fuel was burned. Engine
temperatures fluctuated around 200 degrees F. Outside temperature was 24-26
degrees F. Engine rpm with a 24 x 10 prop was initially 6130 rpm for the
first hour, 6060 for the second hour then settled to 6000 for the remainder
of the run.

After 6 hrs of running, the carbon formation looked a lot like the Pennzoil
air-cooled. The 1/3 of the piston next to the intake port was shiny clean,
and a band of carbon equal to about 1/2 of the area of the piston ran down
the middle of the piston in line with the boost ports in the front and back.
The thickness of the carbon band was 5-10 thousands and it was black hard
carbon. The area directly in front of the exhaust port was shiny clean. The
dome inside the cylinder was without any carbon buildup. There was no carbon
formation on the ring or ring groves in the piston.

While the piston and cylinder look great, this oil mix really plugs up
exhaust systems with carbon.

Originally Posted By: Loobed

I found an interesting TC oil review here: http://www.geistware.com/rcmodeling/articles/oil_test/index.htm
It is about 2 cycle oil in model airplane motors @ 2 stroke ratios, but it kinda confirms that Pennzoil is very good and doesn't cause too much carbon inside the chamber, but outside....

Quote:
Pennzoil TWC-3 outboard synthetic mixed 32:1. gas was 93 octane.
The engine was run for 6 hrs and nearly 3 gal of fuel was burned. Engine
temperatures fluctuated around 200 degrees F. Outside temperature was 24-26
degrees F. Engine rpm with a 24 x 10 prop was initially 6130 rpm for the
first hour, 6060 for the second hour then settled to 6000 for the remainder
of the run.

After 6 hrs of running, the carbon formation looked a lot like the Pennzoil
air-cooled. The 1/3 of the piston next to the intake port was shiny clean,
and a band of carbon equal to about 1/2 of the area of the piston ran down
the middle of the piston in line with the boost ports in the front and back.
The thickness of the carbon band was 5-10 thousands and it was black hard
carbon. The area directly in front of the exhaust port was shiny clean. The
dome inside the cylinder was without any carbon buildup. There was no carbon
formation on the ring or ring groves in the piston.

While the piston and cylinder look great, this oil mix really plugs up
exhaust systems with carbon.

At that ratio I would expect some carbon build up on the exhaust. At 500:1 I suspect there would be very little effect, if any.

well like allways my friends here have a lot of good info.
iam not a lubrication expert, i just play one on tv. i have a dodge dakota club cab v-6 auto, stock. i have one gal of mmo with 1 qt of tc-w3, that i add 4 oz for 10 gal of gas, to the fuel tank, at fill up. and i have a ampco top cylinder lubricator, adjusted to use 32 oz in 900-1000 miles. i know thats a lot, and it has started trying to ping wot going into 2 nd gear. if i back off just a little it stops. hint: the, one gal, plastic jug that mmo comes in will crack in cold weather. so go to w/mart get a one gal gas can, rip the safety lock off. and put your mmo in that.

Last edited:
To make matters simple....I use the empty Gumout/Regane 2X Concentrate bottles for filling with TC-W3 and MMO.

I fill 1/2 the bottle with TC-W3 and the remaining 1/2 with MMO. Keep a few in the car and on the fill-up....shake the bottle vigorously and pour into the tank before fueling. The bottle makes it easy to fill the tank and you're adding 3 ounces of each at each fill up.

No rocket science...just a regular predetermined amount of the concoction. But I still like my 20 ounce bottle of Chevron Techron Fuel System Cleaner every 3 or 4 fill-ups.

Oh my God.

I just realized you people are talking about TWO CYCLE OIL, the kind you mix with gas for weedwackers!

Gotta try it.

One of those little 8oz bottles with the long neck on it, like an STP gas treatment bottle, would be awesome for this.

Originally Posted By: occupant
Oh my God.

I just realized you people are talking about TWO CYCLE OIL, the kind you mix with gas for weedwackers!

Gotta try it.

One of those little 8oz bottles with the long neck on it, like an STP gas treatment bottle, would be awesome for this.

Defiantley try it!

I did yesterday and I noticed a smoother Ilde.
My car has fully solid mounts and normally you can feel the whole car shake so it is easy to tell if the car is running, even with the music on fairly loud. Today I had to verify by looking at the tach to see if I had turned it off or not.

I a believer. Besides, I go though so much to stoke oil that 3oz per tank of gas the pocket book won't notice a difference.

The best price for the TCW-3 is at Walmart. You can pick up a gallon size jug for about 11 or 12 bucks with tax.

I like the formula for mixing that I think Audi Junkie uses. From what I had read in the past he mixes 12 ounces of TCW-2 with 20 ounces of Chevron Techron Fuel System cleaner. He stores the 32 ounce mixture in a quart container for handy use. He adds 4 ounces of the combined ingredients, from his quart container into a small bottle, and uses this delivery method at his fuel at fill up.

IMO...this is a great rule of Thumb for a quick and effective application of the UCL. Thanks for the information Audi Junkie.

Quote:

He adds 4 ounces of the combined ingredients, from his quart container into a small bottle, and uses this delivery method at his fuel at fill up.

To how many gallons?

well as i said iam putting 2x the recommended amount of mmo, tcw3. my check engine light came on so i did a normal fill 10 gal, with no mmo, and turned off the upper oiler. hope that turns the light off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back