Dip Stick question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure this has been asked many times. What is the amount of oil between the low and full mark? Or does it just depend on what type of vehicle you have.

Thanks

It all depends: some vehicle may call for 0.6quart to get from low mark to full mark, while some others may call for more than 1 quart.

This is all highly dependent on your sump design.

It is always to your best interest to run it close to full mark for modern engines run their oil fairly hot and you need to have that extra oil to cool the engine.

Q.

I wouldn't run 1 qt low if given the opportunity. Most sumps are between 3.5 and 5 quarts which makes 1 qt. below normal fairly significant.

As Quest stated, it is in your best interest to keep the oil level as close to the full mark as possible and as long as you can! This will reduce burn off and oil temperatures.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 3oilmat1
Is it ok to be a quart low, will that cause any damage?

It's okay but not ideal, you are giving up your safety margin. If it was low and you didn't have any to fill it you'd be okay to drive until you refilled.
Ford's owner's manuals say that if it is anywhere between the lines not to top it off.

Is it ok to be a quart low, will that cause any damage?

It may cause accelerated wear, but the extent of it would obviously depend on how long you will run it with such low level.

It also depends on your overall oil sump capacity. Like the other poster mentioned, say your oil sump is 3.5 quarts (typical for many smaller engines), then being 1 qt low means that nearly 30% of the oil is missing. Personally I would top it off ASAP.

Yep top it off and keep it as close to the top line
thankyou2.gif

Here's my deal I have a 06 Subaru Tribeca and the book calls for 5.8 quarts I have to put 6.5 to get to the full mark, which i did last oil change. I checked it over the weekend after it had been driven and it was about 1/3 up from the low mark. I think it's ok. I'd say it would be right at the full mark if i let it sit over night but my driveway at home isn't level.

Here's my deal I have a 06 Subaru Tribeca and the book calls for 5.8 quarts I have to put 6.5 to get to the full mark, which i did last oil change. I checked it over the weekend after it had been driven and it was about 1/3 up from the low mark. I think it's ok. I'd say it would be right at the full mark if i let it sit over night but my driveway at home isn't level.

From what I've been able to find from Googling, it should hold 7.4 quarts. The 2008 supposedly holds 8.5 quarts. It seems there is all kinds of wrong information about the oil capacity of Subaru's.

http://www.sb9t.com/forums/showthread.php?t=201

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak

From what I've been able to find from Googling, it should hold 7.4 quarts. The 2008 supposedly holds 8.5 quarts. It seems there is all kinds of wrong information about the oil capacity of Subaru's.

http://www.sb9t.com/forums/showthread.php?t=201

thanks for the info, I'll have to read up when i get a chance. that [censored] me off that Subaru would screw up something that important.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back