Difference between M1 0W40 from USA and Europe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
The M1 0W-40 spec's do vary depending upon where it's made.
For example we're still getting the PAO based SM version although I expect they'll be switching over to the GF-5 SN GP III version shortly.
Regardless of the variation in the spec's it still meets all the same OEM requirements. If you really want to know precisely the spec's of the M1 0W-40 you're using then download the PDS from the country in which it's made.

Sorry, this is somewhat off-topic but back in 2009, M1 0W-40's Japanese MSDS stated it contained 50-60% slack wax Group 3. http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1373238
xW-40 is not a current ILSAC viscosity grade so it can't meet GF-5.

I have not seen any HDEO's that are any less than synthetic, or full synthetic, after reading the forum I would think it it isn't called full synth then it may be a blend.

The only mineral/conventional oil I have ever seen for sale is Castrol GTX 15w40 and as that is ACEA A3/B3, though I believe there is another version that is A3/B3/B4.

I haven't owned a car that uses that viscosity for years and that was a car from the seventies.

Indeed, when money is available I am going to do a VOA of both products, they two part used bottles in my garage don't seem to be the same, though perhaps I am imagining any perceived differences.

I did note that Castrol Edge C3 5w30 and Castrol Magnatec C3 5w30 have same specs on Castrol website aswell. But as one is more expensive would they really be the same or just happen to have identical specs.

I will admit marketing two identical products with different bottles doesn't make any sense, hence why I find it dofficult to accept.

A VOA is definitely on the todo list!

Originally Posted By: bigjl
The only mineral/conventional oil I have ever seen for sale is Castrol GTX 15w40 and as that is ACEA A3/B3, though I believe there is another version that is A3/B3/B4.

We have a few products from Castrol in 15w-40 here, including a GTX. I'm not sure what their ACEA specifications are. When I had the old Audi, which took 15w-40, I was using Delvac conventional 15w-40, although the Castrol 15w-40s are readily available here.

So the Mobil 1 0w40 sold here is made in France. I have a jug of M1 5w50 and that's made in Egypt.

5w50 SN is a lot cheaper than 0w40. I have alwasy been led to believe it is PAO based. Has this changed to GIII?

Originally Posted By: supercity
I have alwasy been led to believe it is PAO based. Has this changed to GIII?

I was wondering the same thing about the Euro-made/blended M1 0W-40.
Is the group 3+/Visom formula change worldwide, or just the North American market made stuff??
confused2.gif

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Originally Posted By: supercity
I have alwasy been led to believe it is PAO based. Has this changed to GIII?

I was wondering the same thing about the Euro-made/blended M1 0W-40.
Is the group 3+/Visom formula change worldwide, or just the North American market made stuff??
confused2.gif

Worldwide. That's why M1 0w-40 can't be called fully synthetic in Germany anymore.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Originally Posted By: glxpassat
In Canada, the current SN version has the same specs as the original SL formula in the USA years ago. Look at the viscosity and pour point, the current USA version is much different - http://www.mobil.ca/Canada-English-LCW/carengineoils_products_mobil-1_0w40.aspx#

Yup, still has the -54C pour point too
thumbsup2.gif

What is more plausible, that the CA formula is different than the rest of the world or that the spec sheet online hasn't been updated?

robert

I think robertcope is right. Instead of going to the Mobil Canadian website and checking the links (many of which are out of date), check the Imperial Oil PDS database; the sheet is here. Pour point is no longer listed and the revision date of the sheet is August of 2012.

Originally Posted By: robertcope
Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
In Canada, the current SN version has the same specs as the original SL formula in the USA years ago. Look at the viscosity and pour point, the current USA version is much different - http://www.mobil.ca/Canada-English-LCW/carengineoils_products_mobil-1_0w40.aspx#

Yup, still has the -54C pour point too
thumbsup2.gif

What is more plausible, that the CA formula is different than the rest of the world or that the spec sheet online hasn't been updated?

robert

Well, it was updated to SN. It was SM until very recently, and I have yet to see an SN version on the shelves
21.gif

Originally Posted By: Garak
I think robertcope is right. Instead of going to the Mobil Canadian website and checking the links (many of which are out of date), check the Imperial Oil PDS database; the sheet is here. Pour point is no longer listed and the revision date of the sheet is August of 2012.

I dunno, we have a number of unique Esso/Delvac grades (0w30, 0w40) so I don't think it is that much of a stretch......

I haven't seen the SN yet, either. I haven't looked all the recently, but considering the amount of time it took us to get regular M1 in SN, it doesn't surprise me.

We certainly do get all kinds of unique grades up here, but I would assume the M1 0w-40 that we are/will someday eventually get would be the same as elsewhere. As it stands, though, we have a new sheet with no corresponding product.
wink.gif
Maybe an Imperial Oil distributor has the new stuff.

For those who are adventurous enough to skip formal certifications and want PAO, there's still Delvac 1 ESP 5w-40.
wink.gif
I've still got a small amount in my garage.

Yes, it does have these different specs. However, in the Mobil Q&A last year, they claimed the formula is the same around the world. They said spec sheets don't always stay in sync.
confused2.gif
Or something like that, they truly suggested the passenger vehicle 0w40 was the same formula around the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back