Difference between M1 0W40 from USA and Europe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I am from Australia. I have been using Mobil 1 0W40 in my Porsche 996 Turbo (factory fill) for years and have recently started using it in my E90 BMW 335i (more for the convenience of using the same oil).

The M1 we get here is made in France. Does anyone know if this is the same product as the M1 available in the US?

We can get grey imported M1 from the US for a lower price.

The Mobil 1 FAQ a while back stated the formulation is the same around the world. That makes since as it is meeting those specs around the world. They said even if a product data sheet has slightly different numbers, it's still one formula and the data sheets just aren't all in sync.

The US fluid is made here in the US I believe, but I'd trust it as being just as good as Mobil 1 0w40 anywhere. The US is the home of EM after all.

It's good oil. A shame it is so expensive in your country. I use it in my Mercedes.

Last edited:
Hi,
911TBO - M1 0W-40 is as stated by Ayrton. Blending and production takes palce at a variety of locations WW. Most Australian products come from Asia - Singapore in particular

I used M1 0W-40 in my Porsche and Benz vehicles for many many years

On the subject of Mobil 1 and data sheets.

The data sheets for M1 TD and M1 New life show the oils meet the same specs but I have compared the two oils and they don't " appear" to be the same.

Now a forum member assured me a while ago that they are identical, but why would they then continue to market to exact same oils in two different cans with I assume twice the packaging and shipping costs?

Well, it wouldn't be exactly twice the shipping and packaging costs. There would be whatever inputs are required to design different labelling. As for shipping, it really doesn't matter if a truck load has half Delvac 1 and half M1 0w-40.

A truck stop or tucker supply shop isn't likely going to sell a lot of M1 0w-40. A shop that caters to European imports isn't going to sell a lot of Delvac 1. There aren't enough guys running Delvac 1 in their Boxsters or old Audis or guys running M1 0w-40 in a older diesel to market oils that way. While not everyone is brand loyal, there's no point in upsetting the apple cart with regards to a respected product.

I'm not sure about TDT and M1 New Life being the same, at least not in North America. Delvac 1 5w-40 would probably satisfy a lot of European specifications it doesn't list, as we previously discussed, but that doesn't mean it's the same product as TDT, let alone M1 New Life.

Not TDT, that is I assume Turbo Diesel Truck, and a US market HDEO.

The TD is was referring to is M1 0w40 Turbo Diesel, a European market oil. There was always Mobil 1 and then alongside there was Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel, both Full Synth and 0w40.

If the products are the same I can't see it makes financial sense to market both. Especially since packaging, marketing and transportation costs in the UK are a higher proportion than I think it does in North America.

I think I have created slight confusion due to not being clear and the similarity of the names.

I will try and satisfy my curiosity by sending both off for a VOA.

Originally Posted By: bigjl
The TD is was referring to is M1 0w40 Turbo Diesel, a European market oil. There was always Mobil 1 and then alongside there was Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel, both Full Synth and 0w40.

The extra T was my issue. I knew that the European TD and the North American TDT were not the same thing, specifically because I knew yours was a 0w-40 and ours is a 5w-40.

Do they market the TD in your neck of the woods to truckers, or do they do so for general diesel use? Obviously, you guys have a lot more diesel cars on the road than we do, whereas most of our diesel vehicles are adequately served by modern HDEOs.

We do have a similar issue here with respect to marketing, involving TDT and Delvac 1 5w-40. Both are the same service grade. They used to be the same product but aren't any longer. Both essentially meet the same specifications, but the TDT is what one will find at Walmart and general automotive shops. The Delvac 1 will be found at truck stops and other places catering to truckers, along with the Imperial Oil distributors, of course. I believe container sizes are slightly different. The TDT likely comes in a 5 litre (or at least the normal Imperial Oil 4.4 L) whereas the Delvac 1 comes in U.S. gallons.

Are your TD and M1 0w-40 available in the same package sizes, or have they made it different like they do with our HDEOs?

I suspect that they may market it under a different branding as there are many more Delvac products on the UK Mobil site than on the US one.

This could possibly be because there are more different types and configurations of heavy goods vehicles in the UK/Europe, and probably more different engines aswell.

Or at least that is what I think, as many vehicles are available with the same engines such as Cummins, but then I a only a outsider looking in and that is how I perceive it, I am as likely to be wrong on that as right.

But there are more than one 5w40 HDEO products under the Delvac name, there seems to be two brands , Delvac and Delvac 1.

The UK TD and New Life 0w40's are sold in the same 5litre containers. Some Castrol are sold in 4 litres but Costco is where I buy July Mobil 1 as it is just under £30 for 5 litres and is nearly half the price of Mobil 1 products elsewhere.

Delvac products and Chevron Supreme at Costco are the only oils I have found in 20litre containers.

Chevron Supreme can be has in 10w40 A3/B4 or 5w30 A5/B5 for just over £44 now in Costco, just increased in price from £42 for 20 litres.Even the Delvac 10w40 HDEO is twice the price of the Chevron 10w40 but Chevron is part synthetic and Delvac Full, and I wouldn't feel comfortable running Chevron past 8k miles maximum.

I am happy to run Mobil 1 TD to 10/12k if needed, and my hope with Delvac is to run it to 20k and beyond with UOA.

Here, Delvac is the conventional and Delvac 1 is the synthetic.

To whom do they try to market TD 0w-40 over there?

With respect to the HDEO selection in Europe versus here, you're quite likely correct. Within certain limits, one HDEO can be used in many various engines, and many various HDEOs meet the specs for any given engine.

They market 0w40 TD to owners of newish, say under 7/8 yrs, turbo diesels with EGR systems fitted.

But marketing is a lot less specific in the UK, they may market a product but not be overly specific.

Mobil 1 New Life is being touted as something new and for the future. Perhaps it is partly recycled? Like The Valvoline green bottle stuff mentioned on the forum.

Delvac products and Delvac 1 are indeed both Full Synth. Have just got a reply from WP Lubricants in Southampton stating that they can do UoA kits at £20 each if you get 10. Will need to think about it as Blackstone are similar prices with TBN.

Mobil Delvac 1LE 5w30 DPF compatible listed as Full Synthetic
Mobil Delvac 1 5w40 listed as Full Synthetic
Mobil Delvac 1 SHC 5w40 listed as "Synthetic"
Mobil Delvac XHP Ultra 5w30 listed as "Synthetic "
Mobil Delvac XHP LE 10w40 DPF compatible listed as "Synthetic"
Mobil Delvac XHP Extra 10w40 listed as "Synthetic"

Now I am not sure wether that means those listed as synthetic are blends or Full Synth. But without further detailed reading only two are listed as Full Synthetic.

Last edited:

Mobil 1 New Life is being touted as something new and for the future. Perhaps it is partly recycled?

It's just group III .

So is it a new formulation compared to old Mobil 1 or Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel?

Mobil1 0w-40 and Mobil1 0w-40 Turbo Diesel is the exact same product. I remember we talked about this in another thread.
smile.gif

The M1 0W-40 spec's do vary depending upon where it's made.
For example we're still getting the PAO based SM version although I expect they'll be switching over to the GF-5 SN GP III version shortly.
Regardless of the variation in the spec's it still meets all the same OEM requirements. If you really want to know precisely the spec's of the M1 0W-40 you're using then download the PDS from the country in which it's made.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back