Difference between Conti PureContact LS & ContiProContact?

Since my Goodyears have some dry rot, I'm starting the hunt for new tires. On my earlier thread about my most recent TPMS adventure, someone suggested that I try Continental tires, specifically the PureContact. TireRack has them in my size, but they also recommend the ContiProContact for about the same price. Both are H-rated, which is right for my '16 Buick LaCrosse with the 3.6 engine. Does one have a longer tread warranty than the other? Is there any important difference between them? Do they both ride about the same?

TR also has the Eco-Plus ContiProContacts for $194 as opposed to $176. Not sure that's worth it, even if TR does offer a $70 prepaid Visa as a mail-in rebate, since that applies to the non-eco model too.

I believe Purecontact has a higher tread life rating than ContiProContacts (500)

CPC's are commonly used as a original equipment tire.... My car came with them from the factory

Sorry, I don't have personal experience with the ContiProContact in order to compare.

The Continental site positions the tires differently.
ContiProContact - An all-season touring tire designed to blend performance, comfort and fuel efficiency in a balance of luxury and performance.

PureContact LS - Luxury sport performance tire that delivers a quiet, comfortable ride blended with long wear, best-in-class wet braking, and all-season performance.

Treadware is kind of bizarre. While the ContiProContact has an 80K treadwear warranty and the PureContact LS only 70K... across the board on all tire sizes/speeds I compared, the PureContact LS's always have the higher treadwear rating (as UG_Passat has already observed).

Conti’s are quite expensive

I got a single LRR for $75 in my size that was odd as a spare then discovered Conti discontinues tire models like I change underwear and can’t match the tread pattern despite the tire name being the same

I also lost fuel economy going from Goodyear LRRs to Conti LRRs my only hope is they are better than the crap Michelin’s that are dropping like flies after 20k highway

Sorry, I don't have personal experience with the ContiProContact in order to compare.

The Continental site positions the tires differently.
ContiProContact - An all-season touring tire designed to blend performance, comfort and fuel efficiency in a balance of luxury and performance.

PureContact LS - Luxury sport performance tire that delivers a quiet, comfortable ride blended with long wear, best-in-class wet braking, and all-season performance.
. . .
The ContiProContact sounds like just what I'm after. They are a bit expensive -- all tires are, to a guy who remembers when you could get 4 bias-ply (non-radial) tires in the '80s for about $100 plus tax. But Tire Rack has them for $175, while the Bridgestone Turanzas the Firestone guy was trying to sell me are $225 or so. If I rotate them every 5K, I'd hope I can get quite a lot of tread life out of them.

According to This Inflation Calculator your $100.00 dollar tires in 1989 should have cost $210.00 in today's money. So $175 - $225 sounds like you're getting better tires for about the same money!
It would be, except I meant I got a whole set of 4 tires in 1983 for about $100! If I could get a whole set of Contis, or even Generals, for $210-220, I'd be happier than the proverbial pig in the fecal matter!

I’ve had the Purecontacts on our previous Civic and currently run the sportier version, the Extremecontacts I believe, on the Legacy. Two TOTALLY different cars, but if I had to do it all over again I’d stick with the sportier tires. Like you, the tires might age out rather than wear out with my new, shorter commute.

The difference in feel is also quite noticeable between the two with the only detriment being a louder extreme contact. I’m not a fan of loud tires, but these are acceptable.

Seriously, if your current tires are aging out why are you worried about tread life?

Last edited:
I’ve had the Purecontacts on our previous Civic and currently run the sportier version, the Extremecontacts I believe, on the Legacy. Two TOTALLY different cars, but if I had to do it all over again I’d stick with the sportier tires. Like you, the tires might age out rather than wear out with my new, shorter commute.

The difference in feel is also quite noticeable between the two with the only detriment being a louder extreme contact. I’m not a fan of loud tires, but these are acceptable.

Seriously, if your current tires are aging out why are you worried about tread life?
Not worried. Wondering how much value I'll get for $175 a tire -- and what the difference is between the two models of tire, that's all. Remember, I bought this car with 33K miles on it at age 4, so clearly the previous owner drove even less than I do.

I have the PureContacts on my Maxima right now...great tire that's quiet and good all year round. I have the sport package with a stiffened body and suspension so I wanted to soften things a tad with a less aggressive tire as I just commute basically...the Contis accomplished that well. Goodyear Eagles came off which were garbage.

Have you mentioned what tire size? that car comes with 4 different tire options.

If you have the p235/50r17
Ohtsu fp0612 a/s are 65$ a tire.

Ohtsu is associated with falken and sumitomo so they arent a no-name tire.

i recently got four conti pure contact for my passat for $100 each, just by asking, at discount tire.

Have you mentioned what tire size? that car comes with 4 different tire options.

The Buick has 235/50R18 tires. I don't want to go any bigger or any more low-profile.

I have the PureContact LS on my 19 Regal. Same 235/50r18 size. They are great tires with very little noise, great traction all around, very good response/handling, and good wear. They are probably the best tires I've ever owned. The stock tires were Conti ProContact and they were complete crap in comparison. They were very extremely noisy and rode rough.

Customer's car has a set of PureContact LS. They have driven 45k+ over the last 20 months. Rotated 4 times with each service. Judging by the amount of tread left (around 5-6/32"), they should have no problem meeting the 70K mark.

Your individual vehicle and driving conditions may be different and therefore, the treadlife may vary significantly.

I’m not a fan of the CPC. we had an oem set and the sidewall blistered badly after a parking-lot curb scuff at maybe 3mph. Conti used to be known for weak sidewalls and by the trends in their reviews I think the newer models are getting better- I’ve watched them for years. But the CPC we had made me think they were older designs.

im a big fan of their newer AT, and I have a good respect for the DWS06, but not the CPC.
m

The Ohtsu is a high performance "all-season" tire... but it doesn't have enough sipes for me to be comfortable for light snow. And they get very loud, very quick.

The Ohtsu is a high performance "all-season" tire... but it doesn't have enough sipes for me to be comfortable for light snow. And they get very loud, very quick.
Well its probably good the OP is in DA SWAMP, guessing they dont get much snow there.
The recommendation was based on the OP's low miles, and expected weather/location.

no need for $1000 worth of tires for that imo.

now driving 12-18k miles a year and seeing quite a bit of snow they wouldnt be optimal for myself. in the Ne Ohio snow belt.

Back