Different brand tires right and left side.

For my 05 Jetta that's been sitting the last 8 years, the fronts were pretty worn so I found these Hankooks for $30/pair.

060.jpg

062.JPG

Then, when checking the brakes a few days ago, I see the Michelin's on the rear with excellent tread have lots of age cracks. 8 years since I got the car and who knows how long on the car before that. Tried to find a matching pair of Hankooks at a reasonable price and not too far away. No luck. Instead, I picked up these Continental Extreme Contact for $70/pair.

066.jpg

064.JPG

Having two different brand tires visible when seeing the car wouldn't look good to me, so I put the Conti's on the left side and the Hankook's on the right. ...........Waiting for the sound of peoples heads exploding.................. Car still goes straight when you take your hands off the wheel. Steering wheel is still on center. Both the same size and are M+S if that matters.

CKN

For my 05 Jetta that's been sitting the last 8 years, the fronts were pretty worn so I found these Hankooks for $30/pair.

View attachment 75379

View attachment 75380

Then, when checking the brakes a few days ago, I see the Michelin's on the rear with excellent tread have lots of age cracks. 8 years since I got the car and who knows how long on the car before that. Tried to find a matching pair of Hankooks at a reasonable price and not too far away. No luck. Instead, I picked up these Continental Extreme Contact for $70/pair.

View attachment 75381

View attachment 75382

Having two different brand tires visible when seeing the car wouldn't look good to me, so I put the Conti's on the left side and the Hankook's on the right. ...........Waiting for the sound of peoples heads exploding.................. Car still goes straight when you take your hands off the wheel. Steering wheel is still on center. Both the same size and are M+S if that matters.
It's my understanding there are small differences in "size" between different manufacturers even if the size listed is the same. I wouldn't have mounted them this way-but it's your car.

I'd do that if I had 2 pairs of wheels that didn't match each other, on the same vehicle ... but the tires?

modern esp and abs mitigate much of the spinning risk, but you are at risk of needing more esp intervention. It's a fail in testing here aswell, and police can fine you of course.

Just got a pair of Bridgestone Blizzaks for the Acura in signature --- only for the front at $203 a pop with shipping. Have all season radials on the car now but when snow comes -- the Blizzaks will be put on. My Aunt and my Grandparents used to just put snow tires on the front of there front wheel drive vehicles and all worked out well during the winter. Not like the Acura is AWD anyways.

View attachment 75382

There are cracks in the Continentals, too.

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
You have to be one of the cheapest men on the planet. This reminds me of something a friend of my father would do, he was so cheap he'd shut the car off coming down a hill or sitting at a light. Drove his wife nuts, she eventually left.

Is this another car you are trying to flip so pinching pennies? Otherwise, I can't see the reason for just not buying new tires 🤷‍♂️

atikovi

That's gotta be Illegal.
Why? It's not bald or dry rotted. I often see cars with FOUR different tires on them. If you have a newish tire that gets a nail in the sidewall and must be replaced, do you also replace the newish tire on the other side if you can't get the same tire?

Call me a pessimistic sob, but I would imagine that if you were involved in a wreck, even if it wasn't your fault, the opposing courtroom lawyer would tear you to shreds with that setup. But, hey, I guess I'm just somebody who always imagines the worst case scenario.

Not optimal, but like someone said- It's your car. Personally, I think if anyone noticed I had two brands of tires, I would say they were too close to my car.