Difference between Conti PureContact LS & ContiProContact?

Well its probably good the OP is in DA SWAMP, guessing they dont get much snow there.
The recommendation was based on the OP's low miles, and expected weather/location.

no need for $1000 worth of tires for that imo.

now driving 12-18k miles a year and seeing quite a bit of snow they wouldnt be optimal for myself. in the Ne Ohio snow belt.
On the (extremely) rare occasions when it does snow, all the drivers here panic. That's more of a worry to me than driving in the snow itself.

Three days before Christmas in '89 we had a record snowfall. I left work early, and still my usual 30 minute commute took two solid hours, because everybody was panicking and spinning his wheels. I'd never driven in snow at that point, but even then I knew the rules were simple: "Slow down. Leave extra following distance. And don't change direction abruptly."

The snow stayed on the ground for 2 days. So we *almost* had a white Christmas.

The issue around DC is not accumulating snow. The issue is wet black ice, as it dips below freezing every night and then thaws every morning. Snow just feeds that cycle for days after a snowfall, as those snowplow piles melt off along the road side.

My son's 2020 Subaru Impreza Premium came with Continental ProContact TX P205/55R16 89V tires as original equipment.

They 9/32" inch tread depth when new and I measured all 4 tires today and they are still more than 8/32" all around. None has reached 8/32" on the tread gauge. The car has 25,500 miles on it. The wear on these tires is uncanny. Note: he commutes from 700 to 840 miles per week, nearly all highway.

Note that the 'ContiProContact' is a different model of tire from the ProContaxt TX.

I've been looking at the PureContact LS's too. I'm driving a 19' Impala with the 3.6, so it's fairly comparable to the Buick. One thing is for sure, the stock Firestone GT's need to go. They're the absolute worst performing tire I've ever used in cold weather and light snow. I'm afraid to run these through the winter.

Snow tires would be great, but I don't want to drop $2,000 on a set of wheels/tires again because I cut my commute from 110 miles a day to 14 miles.

The Michelin Crossclimate 2 also looks like an interesting tire that outperforms the Purecontacts's, but at a cost of $33 more per tire.

Back