Diesel oil in gas engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm just the mechanic, what do I know...when I told my super he said "not to worry, 5W20 is for CAFE only" We only use one grade of oil for everything, USE it!!! This from the 4th biggest utility in the country. So far so good?! Time and miles will tell us all.

I had a virgin sample of my SL rated "diesel" oil sent in to Blackstone Labs.They told me it is fine for my gasoline applications.Both my oil samples ,for my Jeeps, were tested also and they showed great results with diesel oil.
banana.gif
driving.gif

Quote:

I'm just the mechanic, what do I know...when I told my super he said "not to worry, 5W20 is for CAFE only" We only use one grade of oil for everything, USE it!!! This from the 4th biggest utility in the country. So far so good?! Time and miles will tell us all.

The super knows his oil.

I own a 1986 Porsche 911 Carrera and early on worked as a Porsche Tech for 10 years. Porsche used Rotella T as the factory fill on new cars for many years. In visiting the PCA website the tech for PCA still likes Rotella and uses it in his shop.

As Chris states below, the ZDDP numbers are going down and Diesel oil may be the best offering at the local parts store.

I use Rotella T synthetic 5-40 in my Porsche with excellent results.

I hate to open up the oil discussions again, but I am getting ready to do an oil change before winter. I was prepared to use my usual Mobil 1 0W-40. I've been reading about the new SM rating and the lower amount of the ZDDP additive. This is supposed to have an adverse affect on our solid lifters. I've seen all kinds of recommendations, usually oils for motorcycles or Diesel engines. I've even seen that Mobil has reformulated their Mobil 1 Extended Performance 15W-50 (1200 ppm phosphorus), Mobil 1 0W-40 (1,000 ppm). Porsche seem silent on this issue.

My questions are, what is the minimum level of ZDDP we need? Should I be concerned about this?

As you know, there is raging debate about this. Porsche lists Mobil 1 0W-40 as an approved oil for everything back to 1984. Since you don't have hydraulic lifters, just to be safe you could run the EP. Shell makes a 5W-40 called Helix Ultra that is an SL oil and is approved. For regular oil, find those with a CJ (diesel service) rating, such as Shell Rotella T (Shell recently announced that they have made other chemical adjustments to make up for the lack of ZDDP) or Chevron Del0 400. Other good oils include Swepco 306 and Brad Penn. Additives are another alternative. There is disagreement on the amount of ZDDP that is beneficial, so I'm not going to make a recommendation here, but yes, you should be somewhat concerned.

Chris Powell - PCA WebSite - 10/14/2007

No Attachments

Ahem...all PCMO oils have made "other chemical adjustments" to make up for zddp. Some folks insist zddp works better than other, newer alternatives. I don't think anyone has ever posted ANYTHING conclusive. I'd just point out Syntec 0W30 aka GC isn't swimming in zddp.

As for using 15W40 in the winter up north....Sure, you can do it....it's just not the greatest thing in the world....

Quote:

Ahem...all PCMO oils have made "other chemical adjustments" to make up for zddp. Some folks insist zddp works better than other, newer alternatives. I don't think anyone has ever posted ANYTHING conclusive. I'd just point out Syntec 0W30 aka GC isn't swimming in zddp.

As for using 15W40 in the winter up north....Sure, you can do it....it's just not the greatest thing in the world....

Well... that may well be true...

The only reason I question that is the hotrod/muscle car community is saying different. They say they are eating cams.

Who knows what is what
confused.gif

Im currently using Amsoil Series 3000 since March of this year. Lots of city driving and some freeway on the weekends and by a visual it looks pretty good.

Quote:

Quote:

Well... that may well be true...

The only reason I question that is the hotrod/muscle car community is saying different. They say they are eating cams.

Who knows what is what
confused.gif

Yeah, it started with that HotRod article. SOPUS added fuel to the fire and steered people to Rotella. If you're the panicky type and have a high-sprung flat-tappet cam go for it. Or just add some SLOB.
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back