Diesel Oil in a Gas Engine?

Scuder see message #17.
Thanks. As long as it doesn't claim both SP and CK-4 ratings, a xW-40 lube isn't limited to .08% P. A bit of a new twist.
So, if QS HM 10W-40 gets an SP rating, it may still have + .1% P. It's the cheap, available go to oil I use in my Barracuda. I'm happy with it, but would probably switch to T6 5W-40 if the QS lost the higher ZDDP.

Scudded: if you have a Rural Kingnear you they have their Harvest King All Fleet 10w30 CK4/SN for like $8.99 gallon. I posted a VOA of it while ago. Hope that helps 👍🇺🇸🍻

Scudded: if you have a Rural Kingnear you they have their Harvest King All Fleet 10w30 CK4/SN for like $8.99 gallon. I posted a VOA of it while ago. Hope that helps 👍🇺🇸🍻
Thanks, I appreciate the filter work I've seen you post. No Rural King, but we have a brand new TSC going up a mile down the road.
Since SOPUS is nice enough to send me a couple of checks every month, I'd like to keep it in the family! ☺️

I have used Shell Rotella T6 in a wet-clutch motorcycle with no problems in either the powertrain or the catalytic converter. Shell lists it as being compliant with JASO MA-2. I would feel comfortable using it to lubricate a gasoline-powered car engine.

A motor oil marketed as a diesel oil may well be useful, appropriate, and tested for use in other applications.

If you mean "True" Diesel oils, meaning those that don't carry any gas engine specs at all, in an older engine without catalytic converters, sensors or any of that it would probably be fine, true Diesel oils typically have very high Sulphated ash contents because they tend to have very strong additive packages which at least in theory could poison catalytic converters, cause spark plug fouling etc.

Now if you mean a Diesel oil but one that has Gas engine specs too then that's nothing new at all, there are probably over a hundred threads on here about it and it's been done with all kinds of cars and not once have i heard about anyone having any kind of problem doing so, i've done it myself on both my cars without a problem.

Modern Diesel vehicles have catalytic converters too right?

Thanks. As long as it doesn't claim both SP and CK-4 ratings, a xW-40 lube isn't limited to .08% P. A bit of a new twist.
So, if QS HM 10W-40 gets an SP rating, it may still have + .1% P. It's the cheap, available go to oil I use in my Barracuda. I'm happy with it, but would probably switch to T6 5W-40 if the QS lost the higher ZDDP.
I don’t think, so or maybe I’m not interpreting your post correctly. If QS HM gets a SP rating, it have to have less than 0.08 %Phosphorous.

I don’t think, so or maybe I’m not interpreting your post correctly. If QS HM gets a SP rating, it have to have less than 0.08 %Phosphorous.

Only in the ILSAC grades, which are the 10W-30s and lighter.

When describing phosphorus content, this is footnote 4 on page 3 of the brochure linked below. "No maximum for API SP or SN Non-ILSAC viscosity grades." So 0W-40 and heavier could have the SP rating and more than 800 ppm of phosphorus. The 10W-40 I'm using won't be required to have a reduction in ZDDP. It might not matter, but the valve springs I'm using are rated over 300 psi, so I like the 1100 ppm that QS HM 10W-40 has had.

Modern gasoline vehicles' cat converters aren't going to like the extra ZDDP, especially on engines known for burning oil as the miles add up. The only oil I have that can be in a diesel is Royal Purple HPS 10w-40. It has diesel certification ACEA E9-16, and I'm about to dump it in an LS1 in a few months. Even says on the bottle it is recommended for diesel and gasoline engines. I don't know how long RP recommended their HPS oils for diesel engines since I never used HPS before. Honestly feel like I should have bought Shell Rotella T6.

Regarding SP ratings for non ISLAC motor oils, let’s be on the watch for a xw40 high phosphorus motor oil with a SP rating. So far we have pretty much all seen motor oil at our local stores with a SP rating but AFAIK, they were 10w30 or lower viscosity grade. There appears to be some conflicting info out there based Mr. Scuder’s post in Post # 27 above. :)

Regarding SP ratings for non ISLAC motor oils, let’s be on the watch for a xw40 high phosphorus motor oil with a SP rating. So far we have pretty much all seen motor oil at our local stores with a SP rating but AFAIK, they were 10w30 or lower viscosity grade. There appears to be some conflicting info out there based Mr. Scuder’s post in Post # 27 above. :)

It sure could be a bit of a unicorn. I don't want to speculate on here, but I think there's really little need for such a product. The Quaker State SN rated HM 10W-40 was, but why would someone need a high mileage oil in a rating that has only just become recommemded by some OEMs? By definition, it's for older cars.

Mobil hasn't updated their chart since late last year, but I would expect they will before long. There were five +800 ppm phosphorus SN oils listed on this version, but I don't think any of them needed to be, as they met other ratings for which the oils were primarily intended. Diesel, racing, European. It will be interesting to see what they do. I think few majors who publish their ZDDP data like this.

Valvoline is showing a tech data sheet with SP rated high mileage oils in 10W-40 and 20W-50, but only 750 ppm S.

What's it all mean? Not much I suppose, but I find it a little bit interesting. Thanks for indulging me.

It sure could be a bit of a unicorn. I don't want to speculate on here, but I think there's really little need for such a product. The Quaker State SN rated HM 10W-40 was, but why would someone need a high mileage oil in a rating that has only just become recommemded by some OEMs? By definition, it's for older cars.

Mobil hasn't updated their chart since late last year, but I would expect they will before long. There were five +800 ppm phosphorus SN oils listed on this version, but I don't think any of them needed to be, as they met other ratings for which the oils were primarily intended. Diesel, racing, European. It will be interesting to see what they do. I think few majors who publish their ZDDP data like this.

Valvoline is showing a tech data sheet with SP rated high mileage oils in 10W-40 and 20W-50, but only 750 ppm S.

What's it all mean? Not much I suppose, but I find it a little bit interesting. Thanks for indulging me.
I like Mobils answer to that question since I have been running their 0w40 FS in my flat tappet V8 since the spring.

Thanks for sharing the Valvoline chart. It’s the most comprehensive data sheet I have seen on any line of oil with SP ratings. It seems to confirm that wx40 and xw50, non ILSAC motor oils, can have an SP rating, but I would infer they are limited to 800 ppm phosphorous.

Last edited:
I accidentally used the Pennzoil Ultra Euro L oil that is designed for Diesel vehicles that I purchased from Amazon in my Nissan 370Z. I had a Blackstone analysis done and there was no problems found. But I wouldn't do it again if I knew. My original post with Blackstone report s here:

Back