Did Oil change place use the wrong filter?

There is no such thing as a wrong spin-on oil filter if it physically fits without leaks. They all do the same thing regardless of the size and type of the filter media.
That is incorrect on MANY points.
Now you tell me what the considerations in a filter application are. I know you know :)

I normally change my own oil, but in a pinch I stopped by a reputable oil change place. When I changed my own oil, now 6 months later, I found the oil filter they used of2222 was 1/2 the size of the ford OEM. I called them and they said their filter meets OEM requirements. Could I get you guys to take a look at the filter comparison and let me know if I'm overreacting by giving them a 1 star Google review.

Note this is from a 2014 Lincoln Navigator, and no I didn't cheap out on the service level. I got their premium synthetic service
This is what happens when you go to a quick oil change place in most cases. If the Filter fits and the bypass is reasonably close to spec you should be fine for a short interval (5000-7500miles/6mo).
What is your interval?

Online reviews are sometimes worth a read but the 1-5 star ratings are worthless so I would tell a story but first go to the manager of the joint and discuss your concerns. - Ken

p.s.: I've been burnt SO MANY times by quick OC places and even dealers I do my own OC whenever possible. And I'm old with creaky bones.

Even the "Fancy VW" dealer put the wrong oil in my lease VW Jetta turbo - which is near criminal in my book with that engine.

If you can find a good indie garage with a good mechanic that would be you best choice.

They used the small size you are right, give a one star, that's all they understand anyway. Talk means nothing. It is not the recommended size although will work. It's just they don't care. It isn't their car, it's yours. It is no difference to stock more common sizes except they get a volume discount if they buy more of one size fits all. Maybe they save a quarter, and to them that's all that matters.

They used the small size you are right, give a one star, that's all they understand anyway. Talk means nothing. It is not the recommended size although will work. It's just they don't care. It isn't their car, it's yours. It is no difference to stock more common sizes except they get a volume discount if they buy more of one size fits all. Maybe they save a quarter, and to them that's all that matters.
Next time take your own oil, oil filter, and oil drain plug gasket with you, and the only thing that could wrong would be the quality of the labor. Most people on BITOG are very picky about the oil and oil filter used in their vehicles to say the least and a few—like me—even about the oil drain plug gasket.

4651/2500/2222 are all fine for your truck.
After market manufacturers and OEMs have been consolidating part #s for years.
Get used to it or do it yourself.
You guys have a hard on for quick lubes.
Get over it.

Probably because they deserve it. The one here has bought a few engines over the years. I'll admit though the local Walmart has a worse reputation.

Next time take your own oil, oil filter, and oil drain plug gasket with you, and the only thing that could wrong would be the quality of the labor. Most people on BITOG are very picky about the oil and oil filter used in their vehicles to say the least and a few—like me—even about the oil drain plug gasket.
I am picky about dirt around the oil fill, funnel, and so on. I don’t think shops are that much, it’s not their own car. The last time I used an oil change place I just had a feeling and stopped right away to look under the hood. The dip stick was on top of the engine. This was wife’s car at the time, and the stick could easily have fallen into the fan etc. They tried to heavily up sell me on extras and I refused. I could visibly see the tech was annoyed , and just a few mins later the car was “ready.” The GM dealer seemed to do a good job, but none of them are as picky as I am about the whole process.

I am picky about dirt around the oil fill, funnel, and so on. I don’t think shops are that much, it’s not their own car. The last time I used an oil change place I just had a feeling and stopped right away to look under the hood. The dip stick was on top of the engine. This was wife’s car at the time, and the stick could easily have fallen into the fan etc. They tried to heavily up sell me on extras and I refused. I could visibly see the tech was annoyed , and just a few mins later the car was “ready.” The GM dealer seemed to do a good job, but none of them are as picky as I am about the whole process.
Same with me. Usually what worries me the most is that they don't drain the oil fully. Also, by the time they get to service the car, the oil can be ice-cold.

I would always change my oil immediately after I drove the car for 15 miles or more and wait for at least 15 minutes for the oil to drain.

However, with my new car, dealer maintenance is free, and also I don't like getting under cars; so, there won't be DIY oil changes for me in the near future. The wax, not the oil, is the main priority now. ;)

.........OF2222 is what service champ lists as correct for your vehicle. So no, they used the filter that their filter vendor catalogged for your vehicle....
Yep, that's it. Quick Lubes and some indies regularly consolidate OF applications which very often results in downsizing from the OE application size. That's what happened here. Not the "wrong filter" in terms of jobber filter supplier application. Smaller than OEM filter size, also true.

While not my preference, especially in a well maintained engine, agree with highly unlikely any harm done.

Probably because they deserve it. The one here has bought a few engines over the years. I'll admit though the local Walmart has a worse reputation.
cb, no one is perfect. Everyone makes mistakes.
Do you know for certain "The one here has bought a few engines over the years"?
Are you ASSuming?
My Dentist failed to cement my new $1500 crown in place. He could not get it back off after
having me bite down to get it to seat. When I asked how the tooth would remain secure he
told me "Friction". Needless to say I ending up back at his office for a root canal and new crown.
Are all dentists bad? I'm going to ASSume, no.
250,000 people die each year from medical mistakes. Are all Drs. bad. I guess.

Simple, if they put a much smaller filter on it, they get to pour in less oil. They don't care about the longevity of your vehicle, they just want their $69.95+tax. I used to work for a Dodge dealer and they used to fill cars to the add line on the dipstick to save oil on oil changes. They said in the owner's manual it says anywhere in the crosshatched area is safe, so the bottom of it was safe. This is why I never take my car to oil change places or dealers.

Simple, if they put a much smaller filter on it, they get to pour in less oil. They don't care about the longevity of your vehicle, they just want their $69.95+tax. I used to work for a Dodge dealer and they used to fill cars to the add line on the dipstick to save oil on oil changes. They said in the owner's manual it says anywhere in the crosshatched area is safe, so the bottom of it was safe. This is why I never take my car to oil change places or dealers.

had a Hyundai Elantra come back today with tiny Nissan sized filet on it instead of fatter filter. Had to put OEM filter which is correct filter on. I’ve learned quick lines don’t care if they use right filter or not. If one filter that’s tiny sized but “works”
They will consolidate and use that instead of properly sized filter for the application. Pretty disgusting actually

Back