Amsoil advises to use OEM filter on Camry! Not EaO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Yes. I see your keen and broad spectrum view here. Clearly this is questionable engineering and spec'ing by Amsoil and shoddy workmanship by Wix and Donaldson ..and I'd steer clear of anything to do with all three of the fly-by-night outfits.

NEVER AGAIN!!!

Gary, I believe you just pegged my sarcasm meter, now the [censored] needle is stuck......

45.gif

Yes. I see your keen and broad spectrum view here. Clearly this is questionable engineering and spec'ing by Amsoil and shoddy workmanship by Wix and Donaldson ..and I'd steer clear of anything to do with all three of the fly-by-night outfits.

NEVER AGAIN!!!

LOL.gif

Gary, you are one funny guy!
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: StevieC

NEVER AGAIN!!!

LOL.gif

+1 I enjoy reading his posts, and his command of the English language!
thumbsup2.gif

AD

Gary, you are one funny guy!
thumbsup2.gif

All joking and kidding aside, no one had to drop the ball on this.

You'll note that they didn't spec the EaO for being changed at the OEM interval. This could be for a couple of reasons. It could be that there's no sense in using an EaO over the OEM recommendation ...or it could be their agreement with WIX that if the EaO can't be used under its service limits, that, by agreement, the WIX is specified. One or two blips on Wix's radar for a 100k part ..pay the claim if it fell within OEM recommendations for filter changes...but Amsoil operates outside of that OEM zone.

That is, under the service that the alleged deficient EaO's was subjected to .. perhaps NO FILTER would handle it.

Again, the filter ..any filter ..should not be able to result in loss of oil flow causing oil starvation, assuming that they remain intact. The only thing that I could pull out of my behind in random and remote plausible scenarios is if there was so much sludge/deposits in the filter, that it literally tarred the available oil passage with solid concrete that it forced an oil pump relief event.

If the bypass can't handle the flow, you'll usually breach the media.

I'm sure that we'll never get the total details on this. Even if we do, the actual events may not be related to the content of the TSB. That is, the TSB could have given us specific conditions where you would not recommend using the EaO ..but the suit just said "skip it- just say don't use it on this app" for the sake of simplicity.

Pretty negligent for amsoil to have a blanket advertised 25,000 mile filter change interval for all engines, only to be rescinded/modified if consumers experience potentially engine destroying results.....obviously there is inadequate real world testing being performed by amsoil before making these lifespan claims.

Yes. Again, I see your wisdom here. I suggest that criminal indictments be issued for the specific individuals involved ..and forever mark the corporation as an antisocial entity in the business world.

Aristotle was wrong: The sighting of just one swallow does the summer make.

OTOH- we can always understand where some things just don't work out ..even for most well made plans.

GM LIM gaskets - a decade plus
Chrysler's Ultradrive - a decade plus
Ford's A4LD trans, 2.9 head cracking V6 ..banna head 3.4/3.8 ..etc..etc.
VW/AUDI - 2.8 sludge issues (not their fault- NA consumer market)
Toyota's = sludge issues.

I mean, it's not like they had the money to engineer these things right ..nor the wherewithall to WARN their customers when such problems came to light. The class action law suit was the only sensible remedy for such things that were totally beyond their control.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back