Amsoil advises to use OEM filter on Camry! Not EaO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well the subject title says it all. But can it be true?

Is Amsoil saying not to use their EaO filter on the Camry?

When I clicked on the Amsoil Products Guide and entered 2006 Camry in the left pane (2.4L, 4-cyl), the long results page stated the following for oil filter recommendations:

===========================================================
Oil Filter: EAO10 - Absolute Efficiency Oil Filter [1]
Oil Filter: 51396 - WIX 51396 Oil Filter [1]
Air Filter: 46673 - WIX 46673 Air Filter
Trans Filter: 58010
Cabin Filter: 24883 - WIX 24883 Cabin Air Filter

1. AMSOIL advises Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEM) filter change recommendations
=============================================================

Notice that a [1] appears right after the "Absolute Efficiency Oil Filter", and the [1] refers to a note that is numbered "1."

The note states:
AMSOIL advises Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEM) filter change recommendations

So is Amsoil saying don't use the EaO filter; use Toyota's OEM filter instead?

I've always used the OEM Toyota/Denso spin-on filter, but was considering using Amsoil's EaO filter or Mobil 1's $11 filter for longer OCIs of 7,000 miles.

Also, is the "WIX 51396 Oil Filter" mentioned above the same thing as Mobil 1's $11 filter?

They're just saying to change the filter on the Toyota recommended schedule. In other words, don't use an extended interval...

I will take a WIX over the toyota anyday..#2 is they are protecting themselves...Many have gone WAY for the OEM drains and been fine.

Originally Posted By: o2man98
Here is the TSB on the situation.

Thank you for the informative Technical Service Bulletin. I wonder when the oil pressure warning light came on for the small number of Toyota owners who reported a problem while using the EaO filter: 15,000 miles? 13,000 miles?

Also, if using a non-OEM high-capacity filter with quality media like the EaO resulted in a problem, does that mean that someone who had used the OEM Denso filter might have experienced an oil pressure problem even sooner? Or is it something about some non-OEM oil filters that is the problem when placed onto Toyotas?

Last edited:
They don't give you the details ..at least in detail. I'd love to get wrapped around the Suzuki engine thing. This one too, for that matter.

I would have more confidence in the TSB if I also saw one at the Filter Council or Champ/Puro/etc. There is nothing inherently different between one filter and another.

My suspicion is that someone managed to file a successful claim against the company ...or a couple..and it made the sale of the filter too expensive for that application too expensive.

A question to ponder over concerning the following paragraph from the Amsoil TSB:

"To protect the engine, the OEM has engineered the oil pressure sensor to trigger the oil light when there is insufficient oil pressure to maintain an adequate level of protection. Each filter is equipped with a by-pass valve, so when the filter is at or close to capacity, the engine is continually supplied with adequate lubrication oil, although unfiltered. However, if the filter reaches maximum capacity, the level of restriction can become significant enough to trigger the oil pressure warning light. In extreme situations, oil starvation could occur."

================================

So is Amsoil saying, between the lines, that the EaO filter's bypass valve doesn't always work well enough when the filter reaches near capacity? Is that why the "level of restriction can become significant enough to trigger the oil pressure warning light"? In other words, the bypass valve didn't engage. Or maybe the bypass valve did engage, but flow was still too restrictive?

Or possibly the filters on the Toyotas in question were reaching, say, only 70 percent of capacity (far from 100 percent so the bypass valves did not trigger), but flow was still too restrictive at 70 percent capacity for enough oil to flow through the filtration media?

I suppose it's hard to say without more info.

So I guess I'm wondering what the best filter is to use for 7,000-mile or 8,000-mile extended OCIs with a Toyota Camry. The OEM Denso? Or a third party's like Wix or Mobil 1?

Last edited:
Sure sounds like a flaw in the Amsoil filter design if when the filter goes into bypass mode their is enough restriction to cause dangerously low oil pressure.....afterall, the bypass function is designed just to prevent such issues.

stick with the mobil 1 filter- according to tests done here by one of our members, it performs better than the EAO anyway.

Originally Posted By: qship1996
according to tests done here by one of our members

Thanks. Do you have a link for that oil filter test performed by a BITOG member? Did he post his results in one of the BITOG forums?

Last edited:
I think the members name is George....it is a long series of tests with particle counts performed through oil analysis comparing the EAO filter to the Mobil 1 filter....the Mobil 1 filter performed significantly better over 5k OCI intervals in his tests....shocking considering all the hype surrounding the EAO filters when they first came out....I even purchased 1/2 dozen of them, have now gone back to the M1 after seeing the results.

When I do a "Display Nmae" search (as opposed to "Keywords" search) for posts by "George" or "BT Anchors", the error returned is "No search words." I've tried several times now, and have had "All Forums" selected. I also tried a keywords search for "filter Mobil 1 Amsoil", but still no posts about an oil filter comparison between Mobil 1 and EaO (complete with UOAs) shows up.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Built_Well
When I do a "Display Nmae" search (as opposed to "Keywords" search) for posts by "George" or "BT Anchors", the error returned is "No search words." I've tried several times now, and have had "All Forums" selected. I also tried a keywords search for "filter Mobil 1 Amsoil", but still no posts about an oil filter comparison between Mobil 1 and EaO shows up.

I think this is what you're after. Let me know what you think after reading it.

AD

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1250177#Post1250177

Quote:
I'd love to get wrapped around the Suzuki engine thing
54.gif

Gary -
What Suzuki engine thing? Car or MC?

Originally Posted By: RWEST
Quote:
I'd love to get wrapped around the Suzuki engine thing
54.gif

Gary -
What Suzuki engine thing? Car or MC?

GM 3.6L V6 used in multiple vehicles throughout GM.

Quote:
Sure sounds like a flaw in the Amsoil filter design if when the filter goes into bypass mode their is enough restriction to cause dangerously low oil pressure.....afterall, the bypass function is designed just to prevent such issues.

That doesn't flush ..at least completely. If it was a filter design flaw, then it wouldn't be limited to the Toyota mentioned.

Again, until some nuance is brought to light, I have to assume that claims were made by owners of this engine, using this filter.

There is nothing inherently unique, other than the media composition, to the EaO filter. They're made by a couple of manufacturers ..right along side their own.

If you understand the fundamentals of oil flow in an engine ..most engines, anyway, the filter is mostly transparent. Even if it's not ..under some set of conditions ...it's just like viscosity. All engines have to transition through those same states regardless of the "free flowing" or "tight filtering" aspects of the filter in particular.

That is, if a filter could be responsible for producing enough restriction to cause oil starvation due to loading, then a clean filter would produce the same effect ..somewhere ..at some temp ..with the viscosity of the oil being several magnitudes heavier.

That is, would you expect using a 40 grade to cause oil starvation? Would you expect any sensible viscosity under even extreme temps to cause oil starvation? Then why would you expect loading of a filter and a bypass valve that is functional one every car EXCEPT this engine to be a source of trouble?

You wouldn't.

Bottom line, any filter that becomes restricted due to being "full of contaminants" should go into bypass to prevent oil starvation of the engine.....obviously the EAO is failing to allow adequate oil pressure in bypass mode on these toyota motors- as stated in Amsoils own TSB on the subject- the bottleneck{and therefor the problem} is the specific filter in this specific application- somebody dropped the ball when speccing this filter for this application- dont they test before making specific part number recommendations?

Yes. I see your keen and broad spectrum view here. Clearly this is questionable engineering and spec'ing by Amsoil and shoddy workmanship by Wix and Donaldson ..and I'd steer clear of anything to do with all three of the fly-by-night outfits.

NEVER AGAIN!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back