Did Oil change place use the wrong filter?

I normally change my own oil, but in a pinch I stopped by a reputable oil change place. When I changed my own oil, now 6 months later, I found the oil filter they used of2222 was 1/2 the size of the ford OEM. I called them and they said their filter meets OEM requirements. Could I get you guys to take a look at the filter comparison and let me know if I'm overreacting by giving them a 1 star Google review.

Note this is from a 2014 Lincoln Navigator, and no I didn't cheap out on the service level. I got their premium synthetic service

Attachments

• IMG_20210116_170104995-01.jpeg
    IMG_20210116_170104995-01.jpeg
    118 KB · Views: 340
Quick change places use many "universal" fit oil filters to avoid having to stock hundreds of parts. The threads match and the gasket ID and OD match, so it "fits" for them. Are there other specs and/or features in oil filters that may or may not match here ? Sure but since nothing bad happened, just move on...

Cross reference doesn't show Ford use... and it's not a synthetic rated filter... service champ does have synthetic filters however. Guess it worked for the time being I wouldn't use the shop no more..

Reactions: JC1
I normally change my own oil, but in a pinch I stopped by a reputable oil change place. When I changed my own oil, now 6 months later, I found the oil filter they used of2222 was 1/2 the size of the ford OEM. I called them and they said their filter meets OEM requirements. Could I get you guys to take a look at the filter comparison and let me know if I'm overreacting by giving them a 1 star Google review.

Note this is from a 2014 Lincoln Navigator, and no I didn't cheap out on the service level. I got their premium synthetic service
This is why you don't let these idiots touch your car if you're smart. Oh and you can do it cheaper with better oil and filter!

Cross reference doesn't show Ford use... and it's not a synthetic rated filter... service champ does have synthetic filters however. Guess it worked for the time being I wouldn't use the shop no more..
I agree. No need to worry about using that shop again, I normally change my own oil, and have for the last 15 years. Got tired of shops stripping out my drain plug then needing to repair their mistake.

Oil Change places always use the smallest filter that will fit, Walmart uses the shop version of the ph3506 instead of the ph3675 or ph9837 equivalent on the Trailblazer, On Honda and Nissan vehicles that specify a PH7317 or PH3593, they'll use a PH6607. Fram only makes the Core filters in the smallest sizes that will fit a range of engines, for example I don't believe there to be a Fram core model of the PH3600,PH16, or PH8A, the only filters they sell are a core model of the PH3614.

4651/2500/2222 are all fine for your truck.
After market manufacturers and OEMs have been consolidating part #s for years.
Get used to it or do it yourself.
You guys have a hard on for quick lubes.
Get over it.

Quick change places use many "universal" fit oil filters to avoid having to stock hundreds of parts. The threads match and the gasket ID and OD match, so it "fits" for them. Are there other specs and/or features in oil filters that may or may not match here ? Sure but since nothing bad happened, just move on...

So yeah. Nothing bad happen in 6 months, but my question is this acceptable? I would say no. My thinking is over the life of the vehicle, wouldn't regularly using a filter without the same volume and filtering capacity hurt the engine?

You wouldn't try to put an air filter on a car that's 1/2 the size would you? We both know that would totally screw up how it runs.

Just move on seems like a response to sweep the practice under the rug. I'm not hung up on this, I posted my review of them, but I'm genuinely trying to figure out a reason to increase my review. Looking for insightful comments.

Oil Change places always use the smallest filter that will fit, Walmart uses the shop version of the ph3506 instead of the ph3675 or ph9837 equivalent on the Trailblazer, On Honda and Nissan vehicles that specify a PH7317 or PH3593, they'll use a PH6607. Fram only makes the Core filters in the smallest sizes that will fit a range of engines, for example I don't believe there to be a Fram core model of the PH3600,PH16, or PH8A, the only filters they sell are a core model of the PH3614.
I was wrong there is a Core version of the PH16, but there is no cor3600 nor a cor8
So Fram would cross-reference a shop to use the shorter cor3614 where a ph3600 is spec'd
and to use the shorter cor16 where an ph8a would be spec'd

Wrong, again.
We use what the filter manufacturers recommend.
Don't ASSume. It makes one look foolish.
Don't be that one.

Wrong, again.
We use what the filter manufacturers recommend.
Don't ASSume. It makes one look foolish.
Don't be that one.
I'm still right about that they will use the smallest filter that works, fram cross references the cor16 filter to be used where the manufacturer would spec a ph8a sized filter and the cross reference to use the cor3614 in applications calling for the ph3600, although they do not cross reference the retail versions of the ph16 for ph8a applications nor is the retail PH3614 cross referenced for use in applications calling for the PH3600, it's clear that the shop filters are about using the smallest filter possible, which often times will result in a customer noticing that the filter on their car is smaller than all the filters recommended in a retail guide.

Don't forget 3387A instead of 3980 for GM, did that one all the time. On some models I would do the opposite, such as V6 Highlander and 4 cylinder Tacoma, I'd use 3600 instead of 3614 to make removal and installation easier, especially the Tacoma.

Last edited:
using a filter without the same volume and filtering capacity hurt the engine?
The size of the can its in doesn't always determine the filtering capacity. Ford may use the larger filter simply for "inventory" reasons while many other filters, larger or smaller, are perfectly acceptable for the requirements Fords wants.

Oil filters are not sumps. The amount of oil they can hold is inconsequential in the grand scheme of things here. That engine holds 7 quarts of oil. The difference in these two filters is what, 8 ounces ?

but my question is this acceptable? I would say no.
Again, they do this for inventory reasons. The oil filter manufacturers effectively "endorse" this too when they consolidate filters in the lines they market to oil-change operators.

Just move on seems like a response to sweep the practice under the rug
See above. It's an industry-wide practice, not something uncommon. I'm not defending this place (don't know nor care who it is, in fact), just explaining one reason why they do this.

the shop filters are about using the smallest filter possible
They standardize on smaller filters because they will fit anywhere that the larger version would fit. Many Nissans use the equivalent to a 6607 on passenger cars but 7317 on trucks, SUVs, etc with the same engine. Take your Honda to a quick-lube or even an independent repair shop for an oil change and see if they use an equivalent 6607 filter.

Last edited:
Back