Did Oil change place use the wrong filter?

Wow. Multiple people on here have told me they interchange just one was smaller. Glad I didn’t use the FL910S yet then.
You would have discovered the difference pretty quickly. ;) The difference between 22mm and 3/4" would be quite noticeable.

I've seen people mix up 3/4 and 18mm filters, a 3/4 will spin on an application requiring 18mm. Aside from a little extra play in the threads, most people don't even notice.

Good reference, thanks.

However, at the end of the day, when the bypass valve opens is not only a function of the bypass valve rating but also the type and size of the filter media. GM can't tell me that an oversized Fram Ultra with a lower bypass valve opening pressure will open its bypass valve before their mediocre OEM oil filter does.
What oversized filter … they fit in an oil pan pocket … GM already increased the filter size …
I have owned 5.3L’s for two decades and none of them have had the pressure spike and ultimately the high pressure of my current engine … Fram has upgraded the PRV for the XG10575
The filters side by side
F9713D51-111E-43B2-B889-AB157AF2DF94.jpeg

And also having a bypass higher than the engineers of the engine oiling system accounted for could possibly cause too much pressure drop across the filter in certain cases and cause low oil pressure after the filter or cause too much pressure drop at the pump and cause greater incidence of the pump to going into bypass, there's got to be a reason why Fram says not to use the PH10575 on Chrysler product and now use the PH10060 instead.

The local quick lube uses the smaller Fl500-like filter on Ford vehicles that spec the larger FL820s. I know because when I don’t change the brother-in-law’s oil he uses said quickie lube. I suspect this is common practice.

This has been going on for a long time. I bought a truck around 2011 and found the small filter from the quickie lube place. It was a pain to deal with when all of your filter removal tools are sized for larger ford filters.. Right or wrong, many quick lube places consolidate filters. Never understood this one.

Someone had experimented with oil filters going into bypass with a cold engine, measuring the pressure drop, here on BITOG, but I can't remember who.

Someone had experimented with oil filters going into bypass with a cold engine, measuring the pressure drop, here on BITOG, but I can't remember who.
There it is!

I would be far more concerned about the use of something called Service Champ
The majority are American made as far as I know.
Lot's of assumptions on this board as to applications and quality of
products and services.
In the real world assumptions can lead to costly mistakes or
embarrassment. Do not ASSume.....you know the rest.

There it is!

The better test was those pesky foreigners that cut a filter can and welded a bung for a switch to trigger a light when the bypass valve was open. It is an eye opener. I know it was posted here many years ago but can't find the link.

So yeah. Nothing bad happen in 6 months, but my question is this acceptable? I would say no. My thinking is over the life of the vehicle, wouldn't regularly using a filter without the same volume and filtering capacity hurt the engine?

No. A smaller filter does not hurt at all, unless you want to do some kind of extream interval, (like 20K+). Smaller filters are preferred by some, self included. Honda for instance, used tiny filters on their 3.5L V6 for many years AND called for 15K intervals (the oil changed at 7,500). There is zero to worry about.

What oversized filter … they fit in an oil pan pocket … GM already increased the filter size …
I have owned 5.3L’s for two decades and none of them have had the pressure spike and ultimately the high pressure of my current engine … Fram has upgraded the PRV for the XG10575
The filters side by side
View attachment 43716
Have they changed it from 12 to 16 psi? A 12 psi bypass valve on a Fram Ultra will probably open after a 16 psi one on an OEM oil filter, as a larger synthetic filter media will have less pressure drop.

Occasional bypass valve opening is no big deal, as this doesn't mean that dirty or unfiltered oil circulating. It only means that oil filtration has been temporarily halted, with the previously filtered oil being circulated. However, a very high pressure drop on an oil filter because of a very high bypass-valve pressure spec could result in low oil pressure and oil starvation, which would be detrimental to the engine.

Last edited:
Occasional bypass valve opening is no big deal, as this doesn't mean that dirty or unfiltered oil circulating. It only means that oil filtration has been temporarily halted, with the previously filtered oil being circulated.
Technically, any oil bypassing the filter media is unfiltered ... but yeah, it's already been filtered so it shouldn't be too dirty, but it's still "dirty" if it goes past the media.

However, a very high pressure drop on an oil filter because of a very high bypass-valve pressure spec could result in low oil pressure and oil starvation, which would be detrimental to the engine.
To add ... oil flow if reduced only if the oil pump goes into pressure relief. The filter would have to be a super high bypass valve setting, and a bypass valve that choked down the flow of oil because it couldn't handle the pump volume. In order to get into the rare scenario, the filter media would basically have to be totally blocked with debris.

Have they changed it from 12 to 16 psi? A 12 psi bypass valve on a Fram Ultra will probably open after a 16 psi one on an OEM oil filter, as a larger synthetic filter media will have less pressure drop.

Occasional bypass valve opening is no big deal, as this doesn't mean that dirty or unfiltered oil circulating. It only means that oil filtration has been temporarily halted, with the previously filtered oil being circulated. However, a very high pressure drop on an oil filter because of a very high bypass-valve pressure spec could result in low oil pressure and oil starvation, which would be detrimental to the engine.
Have found and used several at 20 psi+ … new Fram Ultra, AC Delco, Royal Purple, and Baldwin …
Fram Ultra is not larger, it’s smaller than OEM but I do believe the synthetic media flows well and traps deeper
The PRV in an oil filter is not of the same quality as an oil system bypass … I’d rather feel confident they have enough spring pressure to stay closed
Not running any of them to rated OCI potential either …

Last edited:
Back